The Student Room Group

Girlfriend turned Christian 2 years ago - Don't think I can cope anymore

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Juichiro
OP's girlfriend did not say that she follows Christian atheism. When people say they are Christian, they most likely mean that they follow mainstream Christianity (which is nearly total theistic). OP is using the original definition of Christianity (see religion). So OP would likely be facing the stuff he fears.

Not sure why you would infer from OP's post that he meant Christian atheism. If you knew that 99% of people in the male toilet were male would you go to the male toilet to look for 5 females? That is what you with your inference.

Lol

I think you have me confused, which might be due to my poor communication at this time.

The original posters girlfriend may be theist Christian, but that does not mean that he cannot accommodate her cultural beliefs without believing in God.
Original post by whorace

You are using Christianity in a narrow theological sense, ignoring cultural practices and ethical teachings.

Funny you. The one who is using a narrow definition of Christianity was you because you equated it solely to culture plus ethics. While I took the original definition which entails the sum of theology plus culture plus ethics. Checkmate. :cool:
Original post by whorace
Lol

I think you have me confused, which might be due to my poor communication at this time.

The original posters girlfriend may be theist Christian, but that does not mean that he cannot accommodate her cultural beliefs without believing in God.

You are really funny. :biggrin: Have you ever talked to actual Christians?

In case you did not notice, a belief in a God is the thread connecting the ethics and cultural practices. It is the hot thing that gets people shaken, gets parents angry/ashamed and gets people killed/tortured. Nobody fully follows the ethics or the culture but they all follow the idea that the God exists to a very literal sense. Don't you understand?

If OP's girlfriend is a mainstream Christian (which she most likely is) then it is fair to assume that she also believes in a God and that this belief eclipses cultural practices and ethical principles. And it is this belief that OP's girlfriend is likely to want her boyfriend to hold. I presume that OP's girlfriend is going not going to like it if he does the culture and the ethics (the Jesus bits only) but he rejects the existence of her God.

The ethics of this Christian atheism are likely to be fundamentally different to the ethics of mainstream Christian mainly because, unlike Christian atheism ethics, Christian ethics are held to be literally divine and presumably perfect.
What does that mean? Does he believe in fairies?

Paganism describes a group of contemporary religions based on a reverence for nature. These faiths draw on the*traditional religions*of indigenous peoples throughout the world.

Paganism encompasses a diverse community.
Wiccans, Druids, Shamans, Sacred Ecologists,*Odinists and Heathens*all make up parts of the Pagan community.

Some groups concentrate on specific traditions or*practices*such as ecology, witchcraft, Celtic traditions or certain gods.

Most Pagans share an ecological vision that comes from the Paganbelief*in the organic vitality and spirituality of the natural world.Due to persecution and misrepresentation it is necessary to define what Pagans are not as well as what they are.

Pagans are not sexual deviants, do not worship the devil, are not evil, do not practice 'black magic' and their practices do not involve harming people or animals.

The Pagan Federation of Great Britain have no precise figures but estimate that the number of Pagans in the British Isles is between 50,000 and 200,000 (2002).

That's pretty much the best explanation I can find at the moment.

No he doesn't believe in fairies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutaud15
Paganism describes a group of contemporary religions based on a reverence for nature. These faiths draw on the*traditional religions*of indigenous peoples throughout the world.

Paganism encompasses a diverse community.
Wiccans, Druids, Shamans, Sacred Ecologists,*Odinists and Heathens*all make up parts of the Pagan community.

Some groups concentrate on specific traditions or*practices*such as ecology, witchcraft, Celtic traditions or certain gods.

Most Pagans share an ecological vision that comes from the Paganbelief*in the organic vitality and spirituality of the natural world.Due to persecution and misrepresentation it is necessary to define what Pagans are not as well as what they are.

Pagans are not sexual deviants, do not worship the devil, are not evil, do not practice 'black magic' and their practices do not involve harming people or animals.

The Pagan Federation of Great Britain have no precise figures but estimate that the number of Pagans in the British Isles is between 50,000 and 200,000 (2002).

That's pretty much the best explanation I can find at the moment.

No he doesn't believe in fairies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see. They are also called New Age followers.

Btw, I hope that didn't come across as sarcastic. It was not my intention to convey that. :smile:
I see. They are also called New Age followers.

Btw, I hope that didn't come across as sarcastic. It was not my intention to convey that. :smile:

Yup. But he prefers Wiccan or Pagan.

I know dw :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Um.. Hello guys? The OP made his decision on the previous page, they've broken up. You've dragged the thread off-topic entirely and turned it into a debate about the meaning of Christianity. /End of thread.
Since I hate people who think they have the magical power to stop a thread just because they said so I am posting just once.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending