The Student Room Group

Recommend me a tablet

Since I'm clueless when it comes to tablets..

I'd like someone to recommend me a new tablet that I can use for watching videos. Be it Netflix or anime, and something good for viewing documents (.pdf).

My first thought was the Nexus 7, but not sure, all suggestions are welcome! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

iPads are steady and reliable if you don't mind the cost. If not Nexus all day every day! Such good value
Original post by Binary Freak

I'd like someone to recommend me a new tablet that I can use for watching videos. Be it Netflix or anime, and something good for viewing documents (.pdf).

My first thought was the Nexus 7, but not sure, all suggestions are welcome! :smile:

I have an iPad Air and honestly I literally use it for nothing but watching Netflix, other TV services and YouTube sometimes, that's it. :tongue: I personally see no use for tablets really, not if you already have a smartphone.

But anyway the Nexus 7 seems like a good choice. It does everything you want from it, good for watching TV/anime (some pretty good anime Android apps that you can't get on iPads like Animania) and can view documents just fine, good price too.

What else do you need. Even cheaper tablets like the Tesco Hudl would be fine tbh. :smile:

Another suggestions is the Galaxy Tab 3, don't get the Tab 4 because it's practically the same thing but more expensive AFAIK.
Original post by yellowcopter
I have an iPad Air and honestly I literally use it for nothing but watching Netflix, other TV services and YouTube sometimes, that's it. :tongue: I personally see no use for tablets really, not if you already have a smartphone.

But anyway the Nexus 7 seems like a good choice. It does everything you want from it, good for watching TV/anime (some pretty good anime Android apps that you can't get on iPads like Animania) and can view documents just fine, good price too.

What else do you need. Even cheaper tablets like the Tesco Hudl would be fine tbh. :smile:

Another suggestions is the Galaxy Tab 3, don't get the Tab 4 because it's practically the same thing but more expensive AFAIK.
Yeah.. That's leaving me between a Galaxy Tab 3 and Nexus 7.

Haven't come across the Hudi.. But since it is dirt cheap I can assume I wouldn't be expecting to reach 720/1080p? It does look a little ugly from what I can see though :hmmmm:
Yeah.. That's leaving me between a Galaxy Tab 3 and Nexus 7.

Haven't come across the Hudi.. But since it is dirt cheap I can assume I wouldn't be expecting to reach 720/1080p? It does look a little ugly from what I can see though :hmmmm:

Personally I think the original Tesco Hudl is ugly but the Hudl 2 they're currently selling looks fine. Up to you though, if not I'd say Tab 3 since it's about the same price but a more premium build since it's by Samsung. :smile:

Specs wise, the Hudl 2 is 1920x1200 (273ppi) so should be decent for 720p/1080p viewing, as for capable of loading them it should also be fine as it has a 1.8GHz Intel Atom processor with 2GB of RAM. I'd say the specs are pretty good for what you want for it, even good enough for gaming on the tablet.

The Tab 3 8inch is 1280x800 (189ppi) so not the best of screens, and has an Exynos 4212 processor which is 1.5GHz and has 1.5GB RAM, so if you're going for specs the Hudl 2 would be better in this case and much more capable.

Personally I think the Nexus 7 is uglier, but specs wise it lies inbetween with a Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, 1.5GHz with 2GB RAM. Where it wins though, is it's Adreno 320 GPU. I'd say this or the Hudl 2 is your best for value for money and capabilities.
Lenovo yoga 2 tablet, got a really good screen, its really fast and really good speakers and also its built in stand comes really handy, plus its really comfortable to hold when reading documents because its handle. Apart from that it would be the IPAD or Nexus 9
Particularly if you watch without earphones, front facing stereo speakers or gtfo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any tablet on the market will do those things, so it's a more a matter of brand/hardware preferences and budget. How much were you looking to spend? What features matter most to you? Do you want iOS, Android or Windows?
(edited 9 years ago)
Don't really have preferences over brands. As for the budged.. Ideally want to stick within 250 and a Windows tablet would be nice but I won't break a leg over it so might just stick with the Nexus or Galaxy.. Unless you have better suggestions?

Thanks!
Don't really have preferences over brands. As for the budged.. Ideally want to stick within 250 and a Windows tablet would be nice but I won't break a leg over it so might just stick with the Nexus or Galaxy.. Unless you have better suggestions?

Thanks!

The Samsung Galaxy Tab S line are better than every other Galaxy Tab product out there, with the Tab S 8.4 costing under £250. That would be my choice of a sub-£250 Android Tablet, the Nexus 7 is getting pretty long in the tooth now. It's still a good tablet, but the only reason I'd choose it over the Tab S is of I really wanted pure Android, and if I wanted pure Android I would get an Nvidia Shield Tablet or spend a bit extra and get a Nexus 9. Unless getting the N7 is a big money saver, in which case it's worth considering if you want extra cash in your pocket, but for £250 you can do better.

Of course on the other side of the fence there's the iPad line, with the best model for your budget being the iPad Mini 2 which would be my top choice alongside the Tab S. Choosing between the Mini 2 and Tab S comes down to operating system preference, I personally think iOS still has a slight edge over Android when it comes to tablets but you may prefer to get whichever system you're more familiar with or invested in on your smartphone for better integration.

I can't say I've kept up with Windows tablets in this low-mid budget, so I'll leave that for other people to recommend, but yeah, for my money it's gotta be the Tab S 8.4 or iPad Mini 2, both are terrific :yy:
Thanks again.. Perhaps I could just get a cheap laptop that I can use for taking around with me. Only reason I didn't mention it is because carrying the books is enough but I can always get them as a kindle version then use a kindle reader. Perhaps finding a cheap broken laptop on Ebay and just fix it up.. That way I can upgrade my home lab with the spare money :grin:
Thanks again.. Perhaps I could just get a cheap laptop that I can use for taking around with me. Only reason I didn't mention it is because carrying the books is enough but I can always get them as a kindle version then use a kindle reader. Perhaps finding a cheap broken laptop on Ebay and just fix it up.. That way I can upgrade my home lab with the spare money :grin:

I would've said get the Hudl 2, has everything you need and in particular the 1080p screen for viewing.
What about a Nexus 9? As it did drop to your range on the argos ebay outlet, just keep a watch out here and there.

Do check their outlet out and currys, as you can pick up some good deals off their ebay accounts.
the hudl tablets are excellent for the money, i've had one of the original ones since release and haven't had a single problem, I believe some of the early ones had a problem with the charging ports breaking, lack of soldering or something, i think the issue was rectified with the ones after the first batch

the original ones, refurbs on tesco are £69 now, an absolute steal at that price, even the newest 8.3" ones are £99 now, you really wont be disappointed with the hudl tablets, get over the tesco name / brand and they are extremely capable tablets, both have got great reviews all over the web, a huge surprise to some of the tech magazines and the like

both excellent tablets, will do everything you want them to and more over some other 'cheap' tablets, they have gps, hdmi out etc

one of the hudl tablets, a chromecast and a select couple of apps, and you're set for free films and tv series galore :wink:
Given my feeling on tablets and how they really, for most people, amount to being really limited media devices, I would say don't bother with one. The only tablet I would even dare recommending is the Surface Pro 3 for the fact it is more useful than a traditional tablet and is a hell of a lot more versatile though its price is a bit prohibitive.
The Lenovo A10 is an excellent buy. 10.1' screen, it says it comes with Android Jelly Bean but it will update to Kitkat once turned on. Lenovo have installed their own launch screen; if you don't like it, simply install Google Now launcher to make it like any other Android device. I bought mine a month ago for £130 and it's truly exceptional value for money. Screen is very good; if you look closely you can see pixels but it's more than adequate for day to day use, good weight and battery life is fantastic. For an excellent Android tablet that won't break the bank, I would wholeheartedly recommend the Lenovo A10. Available for £100 refurbished. Though with your £250 budget, you could well look at a Samsung equivalent; several friends have these and I've not heard a bad word said about any of them.
I have a question..I've just bought myself an iPad mini 3, and now realise that the 16GB isn't probably enough for what I want it for, I've added apps and some data/email accounts to the tablet and found that with the update inc. I'm not left with much space (8GB). I have since found a retailed selling a mini iPad 2 for a 32GB for slightly more and more room for what I want on it.

Wondering if I have done the right things to sell it back to the retailer and swap it for the iPad mini 2 - I've done the reset to factory settings, and got it back to it saying hello/set up intro? Is that ok?
Original post by Quiet _One86
I have a question..I've just bought myself an iPad mini 3, and now realise that the 16GB isn't probably enough for what I want it for, I've added apps and some data/email accounts to the tablet and found that with the update inc. I'm not left with much space (8GB). I have since found a retailed selling a mini iPad 2 for a 32GB for slightly more and more room for what I want on it.

Wondering if I have done the right things to sell it back to the retailer and swap it for the iPad mini 2 - I've done the reset to factory settings, and got it back to it saying hello/set up intro? Is that ok?

The Mini 3 is exactly the same as the Mini2 but with a fingerprint sensor, definitely a good decision if you need the space!
Have I done enough to clear the memory of the iPad mini 3, because I know policy will state they want to know I haven't used it yet. But granted I have but I did the reset all settings and its back to the start and didn't use my laptop to do so.

Alas I deleted all the apps before I reset, so will all the restrictions and pins be deleted along with the code I set up right? I worry about data, privacy etc. and fear giving the iPad back for then someone could get my files/email account access if I give it back even if I've reset the settings (ie ict pro who can backtrack user files somehow even with doing factory reset)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Quiet _One86

Do check the currys/argos ebay outlet, they can show up cheap
Original post by Iqbal007
Do check the currys/argos ebay outlet, they can show up cheap

I just want to be sure that I've wiped the memory off all right to be able to give it back to the retailer. I don't want to think I'm handing them back something potentially with some of my data that I used to set up the iPad to realise it doesn't have enough memory for what I want it for. As 5gb of the memory used for the apps etc was used up for the update, which isn't very good considering I paid for a 16gb hence now I want a 32gb one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending