The Student Room Group

If you had a son, what would you do in this situation?

Hello,first time I'm posting here,I don't know if this is in the correct section(mods feel free to move).

I don't have any children,I'm just wondering your action on this scenario.(I'm not willing to discuss whether drugs should be legal or not or if they are correct or not,that's not the goal of this thread.For the purpose of this thread consider that drugs are bad.)

Imagine yourself having a son(it doesn't matter the gender).
If me as a father don't support any kind of drugs,do not use them and do not want to see my child using them,what would you do in my shoes to keep my child away from this path?

My first reaction was 'don't let him hang out with bad influences'.Even that being true, still,I don't want to grow up a retard.
He should be able to see the world with his own eyes and thinking with his head,always analyzing things.Having his own opinion for things and not letting other people's opinions affect his thoughts. Never believe things he see on internet, or in this forum (for example),always questioning whether something is true or not,(if not then searching for the truth)but most importantly, thinking.

Always this child will have to study.This guy will be so smart that will probably be the smartest of the whole school.No.The whole country.

But still,what are the fundamental things I should be teaching that let him be open minded about the world but still aware of which things are good for him and which aren't?

The point is:I want an answer that tells me how to grow him in a way that when someone asks him if he wants weed,he says 'NO' not because I kept telling him that that's not good for him but because he could figure that with his own open mind.

You may argue'yo, if he has an open mind then he should consider weed'.
We are considering weed is bad for this thread.

Scroll to see replies

Weed is fine to use recreationally. You come across as arrogant, which isn't a good trait for a parent. I also have no idea why you'd expect STUDENTS to give you advice on such problems - I'll give you some friendly advice, though.

If your son turns out to be gay, be supportive of him; there is now evidence that proves people don't choose to be gay. So you should always ask him if he's dating a hot guy (if he's gay) etc. You should also be supportive of his life decisions. Never be afraid to give your son a cuddle, also. Sorry for rambling - I'm fairly tired so I'm going to go off to bed soon.
Smack him and induce fear, that will probably keep him away, and if he does do it then it gon get ugly.
Original post by goktrenks
Hello,first time I'm posting here,I don't know if this is in the correct section(mods feel free to move).

I don't have any children,I'm just wondering your action on this scenario.(I'm not willing to discuss whether drugs should be legal or not or if they are correct or not,that's not the goal of this thread.For the purpose of this thread consider that drugs are bad.)

If me as a father don't support any kind of drugs,do not use them and do not want to see my child using them,what would you do in my shoes to keep my child away from this path?

My first reaction was 'don't let him hang out with bad influences'.Even that being true, still,I don't want to grow up a retard.
He should be able to see the world with his own eyes and thinking with his head,always analyzing things.Having his own opinion for things and not letting other people's opinions affect his thoughts. Never believe things he see on internet, or in this forum (for example),always questioning whether something is true or not,(if not then searching for the truth)but most importantly, thinking.

Always this child will have to study.This guy will be so smart that will probably be the smartest of the whole school.No.The whole country.

But still,what are the fundamental things I should be teaching that let him be open minded about the world but still aware of which things are good for him and which aren't?

The point is:I want an answer that tells me how to grow him in a way that when someone asks him if he wants weed,he says 'NO' not because I kept telling him that that's not good for him but because he could figure that with his own open mind.

Whats the point in asking what we would do in this situation if you're telling us how we should feel and react? lmao.

Btw your attitude is the classic example of what turns kids into rebels that do all the hardcore stuff to piss off their parents :tongue: Also you're not open minded so you won't be able to teach your kid how to be open minded.

4/20 blaze it

Seriously though he's going to smoke weed every teenager in the world has or will... and no teen in their right mind will say no. At first they will because their parents told them not to but don't worry, they always give in... and no, there is no way you can stop him. All you can do is try but you can't prevent him.

Then there's the boring sods that have never done weed, mate even my nans had weed lol.

His childhood is going to be so much fun.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Weed is fine to use recreationally. You come across as arrogant, which isn't a good trait for a parent. I also have no idea why you'd expect STUDENTS to give you advice on such problems - I'll give you some friendly advice, though.

This is entirely your opinion. There is no objective answer on cannabis being 'fine' or not, to use 'recreationally' or otherwise. Just as many parents would be horrified by their children smoking tobacco - and quite fairly so - so they might also react to cannabis. Moreso, because their children using it is not only the misuse of a drug but also currently illegal, so there's added safety concerns.

You come across as arrogant, which isn't a good trait for a parent.

What, because he doesn't want his children using drugs? Go back to your spliff.
I honestly don't think there is a certain way to raise a child to ensure they don't want to blaze it. If they want to, they will. You could scare the **** out of them by telling lies, but that isn't good parenting.
Original post by Friar Chris

The guy was just saying he comes across as arrogant, that has nothing to do with him not wanting his children to do drugs. Most probably because he's so military e.g. 'always this child will have to study' and he's so sure his child will become prominent.

As mentioned, it's the strict parents that result in misbehaving children, but then so does overly relaxed parents. Middle ground is best, give them boundaries but at least let them be free and have a life. Whether that be doing drugs or not, whatever they want to do in their teenage years.

Most teenagers just try it once and never do it again tbh.
The most you can do is talk to him about the consequences of taking the drug.

And make threats, if that's your style of parenting.
May I ask why, specifically, you're asking about a son? Would you be fine with a daughter smoking weed?

I have 1 daughter and 3 sons. I have never smoked weed in my life, and I wouldn't want my children smoking it either (I'm aware that by TSR standards that makes me boring, and a terrible mother, so help me God I don't care :wink: ).

At the moment they're a bit young for me to be concerned (my eldest is 9) but at some point I intend to speak candidly with them about the proven effects of cannabis causing paranoia and so on. There's plenty of scientific research out there to back up what I intend to discuss with them.

Of course I shall also tell them about the medicinal benefits for people with specific illnesses, but I shall have a conversation about why it's not appropriate to use medication when you don't have that illness, etc.

I'll go into the temptations they'll be faced with - peer pressure, friends saying it feels good, and so on, because I don't want to just sound like "weed is bad and there's nothing good about it" as that could make them think I'm a liar if their mates are telling them it feels fab. So I will touch on that point, but I shall reiterate that the negatives outweigh the positives, citing examples and showing evidence.

I will engage with them in interactive discussions about it, not just sit and lecture.

If done properly rather than just in a "I say NO" kind of way, it's not impossible that it may have a lasting impact and they may not take drugs. Not a guarantee of course, but as I've never taken them myself, I hold out hope that the apple might not fall far from the tree.

At the moment, I think my 9 year old daughter probably won't, but my 7 year old son (who is a complete sheep and VERY susceptible to peer pressure) might succumb to taking drugs. The other two I don't know yet.

I can only do my best.

Incidentally, I'll tell you what hit home about drugs for me. Not weed related, but rather heroin (which obviously is nothing like weed) - but it was enough to make my mind up that I wasn't going to take any illegal substances, ever. It was in May 2000 when a 21 year old girl named Rachel Whitear who died of an overdose hit the newspapers, and her parents made the decision to release a photograph of her body to the press, curled up in the foetal position, all purple and awful looking, with a syringe in her hand.

I was 16 at the time, just taking my GCSEs, and until that point I'd obviously had PHSE lessons in school about the dangers of drugs and so on, but it was only an abstract concept until then. Seeing that girl's body though like that in the papers chilled me to the core.

The best way is (i) to actually have an open and frank discussion about different drugs and what they do, and (ii) to try and raise him in such a way that he doesn't just go along with things like that out of peer pressure.

To some extent this will just depend on his temperament. It will also depend on the kinds of friends he makes. These factors are more or less outside your control.

He should be able to see the world with his own eyes and thinking with his head,always analyzing things.Having his own opinion for things and not letting other people's opinions affect his thoughts
The point is:I want an answer that tells me how to grow him in a way that when someone asks him if he wants weed,he says 'NO' not because I kept telling him that that's not good...

So you want him to be independent and open minded... but also to unquestioningly believe what you say?
Be a good example for your kid in all aspects if you want them to respect and listen to you and also try to be their adviser and friend instead of patronising them. Make a kid proud of his/hers parents and he/she will feel guilty to let them down. At least this is what I feel like, I love and admire my parents and I am very thankful for everything that they do for me and I'd feel disgusted with myself if I ever upset them like that despite being 18 and yolo. I would never **** on my parents efforts and investments(I don't mean purely financial although it will come to that soon unfortunately) to raise me like they did.
You make sure they're informed of all the facts, you let them be their own person and make their own decisions. You can let your own opinion on drugs be known; that you're opposed to them etc.
My personal opinion is that powders, pills and needles are too much of a risk; smoke will **** up your lungs permanently (I'd also tell them about the almost guaranteed risk of lung cancer in our family when smoking), but if you can eat it, your stomach of iron will probably be fine. Yet to try them, but hash-brownies sound interesting. Shrooms would probably also be a laugh but not sure about long lasting effects. Alcohol is totally endorsed, and I would raise them to be responsible drinkers.

By raising them to be confident, independent people who don't have anything to rebel against, they'll probably turn out just fine.
I didn't know that sons came in different genders.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Not much you can do. It's all down to the kid and the friends he makes

Posted from TSR Mobile

If your son turns out to be gay, be supportive of him; there is now evidence that proves people don't choose to be gay. So you should always ask him if he's dating a hot guy (if he's gay) etc. You should also be supportive of his life decisions. Never be afraid to give your son a cuddle, also. Sorry for rambling - I'm fairly tired so I'm going to go off to bed soon.

^?

Original post by yellowcopter
4/20 blaze it

Seriously though he's going to smoke weed every teenager in the world has or will... and no teen in their right mind will say no. At first they will because their parents told them not to but don't worry, they always give in... and no, there is no way you can stop him. All you can do is try but you can't prevent him.

Then there's the boring sods that have never done weed, mate even my nans had weed lol.

Well i'm boring af then because everyone I know likes to smoke, drink and do drugs, been offered kind of and I don't want. Actually I haven't ( only when I was 3 and 14 by accident ) drank alcohol in my life. My boyfriend loves me for this because i'm ' innocent ' and ' different to other girls '
Also my girl friends like to have 'fun' with guys and any time a guy asks me for fun I shut him down. Not that many guys are interested in me anyway but heyho.

Original post by Friar Chris
This is entirely your opinion. There is no objective answer on cannabis being 'fine' or not, to use 'recreationally' or otherwise. Just as many parents would be horrified by their children smoking tobacco - and quite fairly so - so they might also react to cannabis. Moreso, because their children using it is not only the misuse of a drug but also currently illegal, so there's added safety concerns.

^ agreed

Original post by PinkMobilePhone
May I ask why, specifically, you're asking about a son? Would you be fine with a daughter smoking weed?

I have 1 daughter and 3 sons. I have never smoked weed in my life, and I wouldn't want my children smoking it either (I'm aware that by TSR standards that makes me boring, and a terrible mother, so help me God I don't care :wink: ).

At the moment they're a bit young for me to be concerned (my eldest is 9) but at some point I intend to speak candidly with them about the proven effects of cannabis causing paranoia and so on. There's plenty of scientific research out there to back up what I intend to discuss with them.

Of course I shall also tell them about the medicinal benefits for people with specific illnesses, but I shall have a conversation about why it's not appropriate to use medication when you don't have that illness, etc.

I'll go into the temptations they'll be faced with - peer pressure, friends saying it feels good, and so on, because I don't want to just sound like "weed is bad and there's nothing good about it" as that could make them think I'm a liar if their mates are telling them it feels fab. So I will touch on that point, but I shall reiterate that the negatives outweigh the positives, citing examples and showing evidence.

I will engage with them in interactive discussions about it, not just sit and lecture.

If done properly rather than just in a "I say NO" kind of way, it's not impossible that it may have a lasting impact and they may not take drugs. Not a guarantee of course, but as I've never taken them myself, I hold out hope that the apple might not fall far from the tree.

At the moment, I think my 9 year old daughter probably won't, but my 7 year old son (who is a complete sheep and VERY susceptible to peer pressure) might succumb to taking drugs. The other two I don't know yet.

I can only do my best.

Incidentally, I'll tell you what hit home about drugs for me. Not weed related, but rather heroin (which obviously is nothing like weed) - but it was enough to make my mind up that I wasn't going to take any illegal substances, ever. It was in May 2000 when a 21 year old girl named Rachel Whitear who died of an overdose hit the newspapers, and her parents made the decision to release a photograph of her body to the press, curled up in the foetal position, all purple and awful looking, with a syringe in her hand.

I was 16 at the time, just taking my GCSEs, and until that point I'd obviously had PHSE lessons in school about the dangers of drugs and so on, but it was only an abstract concept until then. Seeing that girl's body though like that in the papers chilled me to the core.

^ This
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Onde
Probably suggest from a young age that smoking weed is not an optimal + efficient way to live and say that I would be seriously disappointed and concerned if they were started taking heroin etc.

This. I would also be less sincere, however.
Original post by yellowcopter
4/20 blaze it

Lol. 1. I'm 19, never smoked pot, had the opportunity & said no.
2. I'm far from boring. (popular opinion, not only mine - sorry) People actually have asked me if I smoked pot on several occasions because of my way of being.
Most people start smoking pot because of peer pressure/it's illegal so it's 'cool'. There's nothing boring in getting a life. Maybe stop judging others based on whether they smoke pot or not??
Your attitude is practically guaranteed to turn him into a rebel of some sort. Would probably smoke cannabis :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending