The Student Room Group

IB Chemistry IA - Using Hess's Law to find enthalpy of combustion

For my IA I want to try to find the enthalpy of combustion of 2Mg + O2 -> 2MgO by using two other indirect routes Mg + 2HCl -> MgCl2 + H2 and MgO + 2HCl -> MgCl2 + H2O.

I will be working out the enthalpies using a calorimeter (measuring the change in temperature with a sensor and using the formula Q = mc(delta)T)

My question is, would this be appropriate for an Internal Assessment?

All of the other IAs I have done so far involves changing some sort of variables (e.g. how does temperature affect rate of reaction), but this IA is sort of weird because it doesn't really involve any independent or dependent variables.

Is merely trying to find the enthalpy experimentally and then comparing it to the literature value enough for an IA, or would it hurt my Design criteria? I'm confident that this experiment will yield plenty of Data for DCP and CE, since there are so much calculations.

Thanks a lot.
Reply 1
My school did a similar prac where we used Hess's law to determine the heat of hydration of copper sulphate; however we did not do the design part for this prac just the data processing + conclusion. It was very appropriate, has been widely done and many of us received full marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending