The Student Room Group

should i pick further maths a level?

hey there
im predicted an A* in maths and on past papers i usually get about 85%+ and im doing really well
i was considering further maths,however, i have looked at past papers and videos on youtube and it all looks like something i could never understand
was anyone else like this but then when taught it they understood it because i am worried that i will never understand it as looking at videos on it further maths seems way too hard but im not sure
Do it, its fun!

No cwk just straight up content.

Although the clashes in exams are annoying af.
Reply 2
Original post by youreanutter
hey there
im predicted an A* in maths and on past papers i usually get about 85%+ and im doing really well
i was considering further maths,however, i have looked at past papers and videos on youtube and it all looks like something i could never understand
was anyone else like this but then when taught it they understood it because i am worried that i will never understand it as looking at videos on it further maths seems way too hard but im not sure

Well obviously you haven't been taught the modules so of course you will find it difficult to understand. However even those who study it still find it difficult to understand. I think you should pick it though as you are doing quite well on past papers and further maths is really respected by top uni's. While I was doing my GCSE's I wanted to pick psychology A-level and I looked the past papers and it seemed really hard so I was quite worried. I got an A at AS and am on track at getting an A at A2, fingers crossed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EmmaBxoxo
Do it, its fun!

No cwk just straight up content.

Although the clashes in exams are annoying af.

what did u get in GCSE maths and how are you coping now
Reply 4
I got A in GCSE Maths and I passed the entry test and now I am studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computing and Politics. I would really recommend it because it looks difficult but once you are taught the A-Level maths it becomes much easier and yes further maths is a challenge for anyone but if you are good at the subject I would go for it! Especially beneficial for subjects such as physics :smile: Hope this helps.
Reply 5
hey there

Further maths is a really demanding course but also a really rewarding one (and was way more useful on my physics degree than any other A-level, including physics). So I'd highly recommend it. Having the qualification on your CV shows a drive, determination and interest in maths, which can only be a good thing; and it gives you more tools to solve difficult problems (plus A-level maths is a walk-in-the-park if you study further). If you're good at maths and enjoy problem solving, go for it.

Regarding looking at things and not understanding them, that's entirely normal. Further maths build a lot off of A-level maths which you won't have studied yet, and so the presumed knowledge is above what you have at the moment. Plus, there's a lot of notation you won't have seen yet (I.E. greek letters), which once introduced to you will be fine. It looks scary and intimidating, but that only means it feels even better when you understand one of the big concepts. I'm pretty sure everyone at GCSE would feel as you do - I know I did, and I came out with an A*.
what did u get in GCSE maths and how are you coping now

A* in year 9 :biggrin:

(but I did Edexcel gcse which is an easier board at gcse level)

Fine, I still enjoy it and like it.

I am doing the A Level this year.

It depends, I would advise that if you get an A* in gcse then definitely take it up, especially if you want to do maths/econ/physics/engineering etc. at degree or w/e.

gl :smile:
Original post by ukryan243
I got A in GCSE Maths and I passed the entry test and now I am studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computing and Politics. I would really recommend it because it looks difficult but once you are taught the A-Level maths it becomes much easier and yes further maths is a challenge for anyone but if you are good at the subject I would go for it! Especially beneficial for subjects such as physics :smile: Hope this helps.

hey i think i will get an A in maths but schools say u need an A to do it but if u dont get an A* u will struggle
how are u finding it and are u struggling
how far were u off an A* at GCSE
And also what did u get in science GCSE and how are u finding physics?
Reply 8
hey there

Initially I was on a dilemma between biology and further maths. I looked at both syllabi and I understood nothing off the Further Maths syllabus, but because I planned to do physics at uni and I didn't like half the biology syllabus, I opted for further maths. I do not regret the decision at all. Now I can make sense of what the syllabus was talking about, and it actually isn't as hard as reputation (at least AS further maths isn't that difficult).
It can be hard sometimes if you're doing further maths simultaneously with normal maths, as sometimes there will be a chapter in Fm which assumes previous knowledge from C2 for example, but you haven't started C2 in your normal maths yet. However, if you get over it, in exchange the C2 will be a breeze later on.

I got an A* at IGCSE, and I haven't had a major problem so far - and we will finish the AS syllabus next week.

It is a very interesting course if you like maths. You will be introduced to important mathematical concepts you'd never come across in GCSE such as complex numbers, matrices and asymptotes. If you like maths, or considering a degree in physical sciences/engineering/CompSci/economics it's worth taking granted you're predicted an A* at GCSE.
Reply 9
hey i think i will get an A in maths but schools say u need an A to do it but if u dont get an A* u will struggle
how are u finding it and are u struggling
how far were u off an A* at GCSE
And also what did u get in science GCSE and how are u finding physics?

To start with I was finding it difficult but so was everyone else, if you can master the A-level concepts of maths, Further Maths becomes a little easier and enjoyable. I am not struggling and I wasn't far off of an A* to be honest.
I got An A in Physics, B in Biology and Chemistry and to be honest as long as you know the GCSE physics well and the basics of A level physics again you should be fine, not as daunting as it seems.
I think it is a great subject to do because i don't find Maths alone challenging enough, combine the 2 subjects and it is great to be sort of challenged, while i'm not saying it is easy nor difficult, it really gets you think mathematically constantly.

Quick Reply

Latest