The Student Room Group

Uni offers

My daughter has 4 offers and is awaiting a decision from Manchester. Is it worth ringing the Uni to see how much longer she'll have to wait?
The university doesn't have to give you an answer till around may time. keep in mind there's likely thousands of other people who are ahead of her on the list, so ringing them up will probably get you no where.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sharon Brown
My daughter has 4 offers and is awaiting a decision from Manchester. Is it worth ringing the Uni to see how much longer she'll have to wait?

SHE could phone but they're unlikely to know. If she applied by the 15th January then the latest they can give her an offer is 7th May - if they don't reply by then UCAS automatically makes the application to that uni unsuccessful. If she knows she doesn't want to go to Manchester she can withdraw her application and firm and insure two of the offers she has. If not, she'll just have to wait. She'll have nearly a month to respond to her offers so there's plenty of time and unless the offers are unconditional her halls (if she want to live there) most likely won't be allocated until after result's day (although she will have to choose before then) so she's not going to be disadvantaged that way. The only thing is student finance that needs to be done soon but she can put down the uni she wants to go to and change it later if she goes somewhere else.
Reply 3
Can I still reject my firm choice if I get the grades for a better uni?
Original post by mafz96
Can I still reject my firm choice if I get the grades for a better uni?

If you meet and exceed the conditions of your offer you can go through adjustment after results day without risking your current offer. But you shouldn't rely on that being an option because the number of unis with spaces varies yearly and (I'm guessing) as with clearing students most unis won't guarantee accommodation to those who come through adjustment.
Original post by Sharon Brown

Not an unreasonable thing to as she's presumably been waiting months. It should just be a very polite phone call asking when she's likely to hear back. Make sure it's her that phones, not you - it looks far better when the student phones.

Pro tip: ring her academic department directly, as that's where the admissions decisions are made at Manchester.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by SmallTownGirl
If you meet and exceed the conditions of your offer you can go through adjustment after results day without risking your current offer. But you shouldn't rely on that being an option because the number of unis with spaces varies yearly and (I'm guessing) as with clearing students most unis won't guarantee accommodation to those who come through adjustment.

Ahh I see thank you :smile: I'd rather live at home anyway
All Universities will keep on Hold a number of borderline applicants and wait to see what the Firm-up rate is on those who already have offers. If this is lower than expected they will make offers to those still on Hold.

So.... phoning wont make any difference at all. Your daughter will just have to be patient and remember she is one amongst thousands in this situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending