The Student Room Group
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website

Who's going Freshers, don't know anyone!?

I'm studying criminology, criminal justice and law in October at Wolverhampton University. I wanna go to freshers but I won't know anyone as I won't be living there. Anyone else in the same boat?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'll be living in halls and yeh i will know the people from my flat but everyone will be in the same position during freshers...

Posted from TSR Mobile
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website
Reply 2
I will be going to freshers. Moving from Edinburgh and don't know anyone near Wolves so will be in the same position as yourself.
Reply 3
Hi everyone. Glad to see you'll all looking forward to Freshers this September :smile:

My name's Adam and I'm currently a student at the University.

There are many halls you can apply for if you haven't done so already.
Randall Lines = cheapest of the 3, 12 to a corridor, shared bathroom and kitchen + a secure fire alarm system goes off a lot during fresher's and can be annoying to some.
Lomas Street, also known as 'Surrey Halls' etc = En Suite rooms, 6 to a floor, shared kitchen, doorstep of Asda and Accom services are located on site. Also, the 'FixIt' repair team have their offices here.
North Road = most expensive of the 3, 5 to a floor, furthest from the uni.

You do have other halls: Five Ways, @184, Chambers 51, Victoria Hall. Prices vary for all. I'm at Victoria Hall and I love it!

All halls have wifi and you will need to log in using your Uni ID and password. This will be assigned to you once you've confirmed you're a student at the Uni on moving in day. :smile:

Regarding Freshers Week:
Full of activities at the Uni during the day, and nightclubs in town will promote and encourage you to go clubbing there.
The system, run by CoolIt Events (sponsored by the SU), will have the following events on the days:
Sunday: Usually the big welcome party at Faces Nightclub (near the metro station stop / Primark).
Monday: Popworld
Tuesday: The Stone House (formerly Walkabout)
Wednesday: The Grain Store (Kaos Wednesdays)
Thursday: Yates - They may have a 'Bloc Party' style event where they connect Popworld, Yates, outdoor marquee and the courtyard together w/ a host of DJ's and various music genres.
Friday: Faces or alternative nights. The Prince Albert also hosts nights.
There may be a Bar Crawl advertised. Details will be in a facebook group closer to the time.

Note: If you don't like clubbing, or fancy a quiet night in one time, just have a house party with your mates at halls. You don't have to go out every night. I don't like chart, jackin' house, or any of that. I'm into Trance, and no where in Wolves has this :frown:

I hope thats a lot of info for you. If you have any other questions, please message or comment in a reply here, and I'll get back to you :smile:

Adam.
Reply 4
Original post by sophie94xxxx
I'm studying criminology, criminal justice and law in October at Wolverhampton University. I wanna go to freshers but I won't know anyone as I won't be living there. Anyone else in the same boat?

Studying Criminology and don't know anyone but I'll be living in halls, could always tag along to meet some people?
Reply 5
Yeah that'd be good:smile:

I wont be living in halls either, but i think a lot of people will be in the same boat. Barely anyone will know people there so I wouldnt worry too much.
Reply 7
I'm living in private halls i don't know anyone but luckily at the moment 2 first years are in with me 🙌 pheww nothing worse than not knowing anyone when your moving away im super nervous.
All my friends from college and school went to uni last year while I took a gap year. I basically don't talk to any or them now 😂😭
Reply 8
Original post by Villa73
Hi everyone. Glad to see you'll all looking forward to Freshers this September :smile:

My name's Adam and I'm currently a student at the University.

There are many halls you can apply for if you haven't done so already.
Randall Lines = cheapest of the 3, 12 to a corridor, shared bathroom and kitchen + a secure fire alarm system goes off a lot during fresher's and can be annoying to some.
Lomas Street, also known as 'Surrey Halls' etc = En Suite rooms, 6 to a floor, shared kitchen, doorstep of Asda and Accom services are located on site. Also, the 'FixIt' repair team have their offices here.
North Road = most expensive of the 3, 5 to a floor, furthest from the uni.

You do have other halls: Five Ways, @184, Chambers 51, Victoria Hall. Prices vary for all. I'm at Victoria Hall and I love it!

All halls have wifi and you will need to log in using your Uni ID and password. This will be assigned to you once you've confirmed you're a student at the Uni on moving in day. :smile:

Regarding Freshers Week:
Full of activities at the Uni during the day, and nightclubs in town will promote and encourage you to go clubbing there.
The system, run by CoolIt Events (sponsored by the SU), will have the following events on the days:
Sunday: Usually the big welcome party at Faces Nightclub (near the metro station stop / Primark).
Monday: Popworld
Tuesday: The Stone House (formerly Walkabout)
Wednesday: The Grain Store (Kaos Wednesdays)
Thursday: Yates - They may have a 'Bloc Party' style event where they connect Popworld, Yates, outdoor marquee and the courtyard together w/ a host of DJ's and various music genres.
Friday: Faces or alternative nights. The Prince Albert also hosts nights.
There may be a Bar Crawl advertised. Details will be in a facebook group closer to the time.

Note: If you don't like clubbing, or fancy a quiet night in one time, just have a house party with your mates at halls. You don't have to go out every night. I don't like chart, jackin' house, or any of that. I'm into Trance, and no where in Wolves has this :frown:

I hope thats a lot of info for you. If you have any other questions, please message or comment in a reply here, and I'll get back to you :smile:

Adam.

Hi Adam I start first year at Wolverhampton in October to study biomedical science. I won't be living in halls. I'll be commuting from near by B'ham. can you tell me what date freshers starts and was it worth going in your experience. thanks
Yes its my first year too lol and idk anyone tooo haha.
Im moving to private halls and im studying broadcasting and journalism
But oh well no need to be nervous, plenty of people are in the same position as you !
Hi, im studying biomedical science and i live in birmingham which is close im gonna live at home and im the same situation, i wanna do fresher type stuff but i wont know anyone -.-
Reply 11
mee! Does anyone know when freshers actually start and if there is any day time events. Want to get to know people and I won't be staying at halls
Can anyone tell me when freshers week is pleassee? I think its the week beginning 28th sept, can someone confirm this? The guy on the phone said welcome week is 5th october and lessons start on the 12th and freshers is on 28th but he sounded like he didnt have a clue!
Reply 13
Reply 14
Original post by Wolvesfresher97
Can anyone tell me when freshers week is pleassee? I think its the week beginning 28th sept, can someone confirm this? The guy on the phone said welcome week is 5th october and lessons start on the 12th and freshers is on 28th but he sounded like he didnt have a clue!

There is a timetable of events on the Student's Union website. It starts from Saturday 26th with moving in day events, moving on to a variety of sport taster sessions and orientation events from Monday 28th. As well as the evening social events.
Fresher's officially begins on the 5th October 2015. However, there will be events on the weekend of the 3rd & 4th October, to get people in the mood. Double check with the University's 'Best Mates' and 'Residential Assistants' who will be informed of the events and can explain them to you when you move in. They are there to help you settle in and feel relaxed.

Personally, there is no point moving in a week before the events start, as you may find it lonely and the university might be shut. Worth to phone up the uni on: 01902 321000 to check what is happening on the 27th - 28th Sept week. If nothing much is happening, then move in on the 3rd / 4th October.

A company called 'Cool It Wolverhampton' operate in the area and are the main promoters for events during Fresher's Week.
However, other events like 'Disturbed Wolves' who are run by Wolves Uni Students also have nights on, so see which suits you and enjoy yourself!

I will post the events here to save you time. These events mostly take place in the city centre of Wolverhampton.

Sunday 4th October - Official Welcome Party at Faces (Big nightclub near Express & Star / Bus Station. Can't miss it!)
Event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/379563858907831/

Monday 5th October - Popworld Carnival Ft. Rogan (Ex on The Beach) MTV
Event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1594922704101979/

Tuesday 6th October - PIG FEST ’15 at The Royal London & Hogshead. (I never went to these when at the uni, but you're welcome to check it out)
Event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/432560973599447/

Wednesday 7th October- Kaos 6pm - 6am at The Grain Store (near Vodafone / Sports Direct on the High St)
Event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/925549777487513/

Thursday 8th October- BLOCK PARTY FESTIVAL 5 (Opposite County Council / Civic Hall)
Event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1010050142339737/

Friday 9th October [City Campus] - The House that Geordie Built Ft. Aaron (Geordie Shore) MTV @Faces
Event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/408699286000706/

Friday 9th October [Walsall Campus] - Circosexual pres. Erotica [Ibiza stage show] at Yates, Religion & Vogue Walsall
Event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/108743726132052/

Saturday 10th October- Paparazzi pres. The Ultimate UV Glow Rave @The Prince Albert (near Weatherspoons / Train Station)
Event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/824020147635804/

There will be a bar crawl (£10 for a 'pod' t shirt, or £20 for a 'vip all access pods' t shirt) on the 26th October. Ideal to dress up or Facepaint yourself & friends as Zombies / Scary Celebrities. [NOTE: It takes place on a Monday, so if you have lectures on Tuesday, not ideal to go!]
Event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/900608753338503/

I hope all this information is helpful to you. If you have any other questions, please message me and I'll do my best to help

Yours,

Adam Kehoe.
--------------------
Owner of A State of Trance: Birmingham & TranceTunes4U Radio.
Find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat & Google +: @ASOTBirmingham
Web: http://trancetunes4u.weebly.com/
Reply 16
The full schedule of 'Welcome' events is much wider than just the party nights:

www.anotherwolf.co.uk/welcome

The university is also very much open. I attended a workshop there last week and it was bustling with people.

As a side note, you need to get your enrolment ID check done in order to get your ID badge sent to your term time address (takes 5-7 days). You may want to start settling in at least a week or two before your course begins so that you can move about freely by commencement of lectures.
Reply 17
Original post by CCC75
As a side note, you need to get your enrolment ID check done in order to get your ID badge sent to your term time address (takes 5-7 days). You may want to start settling in at least a week or two before your course begins so that you can move about freely by commencement of lectures.

Does this mean I won't be able to get my ID until 5-7 days after I move into accommodation?

I can't finish enrollment without a term-time address, but Wolverhampton doesn't give room numbers until you move in.
Reply 18
Original post by Kaiju
Does this mean I won't be able to get my ID until 5-7 days after I move into accommodation?

I can't finish enrollment without a term-time address, but Wolverhampton doesn't give room numbers until you move in.

On the weekend when you move onto campus, the enrolment team will have zones set up to check your ID and input that your enrolment is complete onto eVision. I reckon for those of you staying on campus there will be a fast track system. My ID had to be posted out to my home address. Y'all are right there and admin can walk a stack of ID cards over to your digs.

You can get around with your 'Boarding Pass' up until your ID arrives, but it is a real faff.
Reply 19
Original post by CCC75
On the weekend when you move onto campus, the enrolment team will have zones set up to check your ID and input that your enrolment is complete onto eVision. I reckon for those of you staying on campus there will be a fast track system. My ID had to be posted out to my home address. Y'all are right there and admin can walk a stack of ID cards over to your digs.

You can get around with your 'Boarding Pass' up until your ID arrives, but it is a real faff.

whats a boarding pass? also..what happens if you can't attend the entire induction week? (i can only to wolverhampton when classes start 12th) am i screwed?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending