The Student Room Group

What does this say about the reputation of a University?

On my UCAS application, I applied to a university with a kind of mediocre reputation as a backup choice (to do film). A couple of weeks ago I received an email from said university telling me that they would like to invite me to a one to one interview in which I was to bring my portfolio for them to review. However as I had already had an offer from a different Uni that I planned to accept, I emailed back telling them that I would not be attending their interview and asked them to confirm that they had received my email (which they didn't do).
Now here's the weird part. I had intended to withdraw from the course on UCAS track, but for whatever reason I forgot to do so. Yet despite me not going to the interview and submitting a portfolio, I have just received an unconditional offer from them. Is this the sign of a bad university?

(Note that at the moment, I'm not going to say which university it was as I don't want to discourage anyone from going considering the fact that some of the more popular courses have relatively high satisfaction rates amongst students)
Reply 1
Original post by ಠ_ರೃ
On my UCAS application, I applied to a university with a kind of mediocre reputation as a backup choice (to do film). A couple of weeks ago I received an email from said university telling me that they would like to invite me to a one to one interview in which I was to bring my portfolio for them to review. However as I had already had an offer from a different Uni that I planned to accept, I emailed back telling them that I would not be attending their interview and asked them to confirm that they had received my email (which they didn't do).
Now here's the weird part. I had intended to withdraw from the course on UCAS track, but for whatever reason I forgot to do so. Yet despite me not going to the interview and submitting a portfolio, I have just received an unconditional offer from them. Is this the sign of a bad university?

(Note that at the moment, I'm not going to say which university it was as I don't want to discourage anyone from going considering the fact that some of the more popular courses have relatively high satisfaction rates amongst students)

It sounds pretty weird to demand a portfolio and interview from you and then you refuse yet you still get an unconditional offer which is the best offer you could get! I would have thought they would have rejected you for not meeting their requirements. The good thing is that offer is set in stone and they can't change it now. I don't think it means the university has a bad reputation. It could mean a number of things really. It could be that they didn't have many applicants for the film course so wanted to secure you by giving you an unconditional. It could mean that they were just busy and didn't realise that you didn't say you wasn't going to come for the interview and give them your portfolio. I can't really give you a more solid answer because I don't know what university you applied for but you mentioned you wouldn't say so it doesn't matter but yeh it could mean many other things than the university having a bad reputation. I emailed my university and on the second time I didn't get a response from them. However it is still quite a good uni and very high on the league tables. I don't think it means they have a bad reputation though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Stirling university?
Original post by ಠ_ರೃ

Seems a potential sign of a bad Uni, but could be other factors. If applicant numbers are low or of low quality then that could be a reason, although tbh both of those are a sign of a below average uni.

Just put it as insurance so you defo have a place (you can always upgrade thrrough adjustment) and go for the better place.
Reply 4
Original post by r-t
It sounds pretty weird to demand a portfolio and interview from you and then you refuse yet you still get an unconditional offer which is the best offer you could get! I would have thought they would have rejected you for not meeting their requirements. The good thing is that offer is set in stone and they can't change it now. I don't think it means the university has a bad reputation. It could mean a number of things really. It could be that they didn't have many applicants for the film course so wanted to secure you by giving you an unconditional. It could mean that they were just busy and didn't realise that you didn't say you wasn't going to come for the interview and give them your portfolio. I can't really give you a more solid answer because I don't know what university you applied for but you mentioned you wouldn't say so it doesn't matter but yeh it could mean many other things than the university having a bad reputation. I emailed my university and on the second time I didn't get a response from them. However it is still quite a good uni and very high on the league tables. I don't think it means they have a bad reputation though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I had considered the possibility that they were just running low on people for that course. I read somewhere that this year, universities are trying to dish out as many offers as possible, so that could also be the cause. It was just quite a bizarre thing to happen :tongue:. I can PM you the name of the uni and course if you like.
Reply 5
Original post by anonlad
Stirling university?

Nope!
Original post by ಠ_ರೃ
Nope!

wolverhampton
Reply 7
Original post by nucleophile007
wolverhampton

Haha, this thread is turning into "Guess the Uni 2015"! :biggrin:

Incorrect guess though.
Reply 8
Original post by ಠ_ರೃ
Yeah, I had considered the possibility that they were just running low on people for that course. I read somewhere that this year, universities are trying to dish out as many offers as possible, so that could also be the cause. It was just quite a bizarre thing to happen :tongue:. I can PM you the name of the uni and course if you like.

If you want yeh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ಠ_ರೃ
Haha, this thread is turning into "Guess the Uni 2015"! :biggrin:

Incorrect guess though.

napier,University of the West of Scotland, the University of Edinburgh or the RCS?
Reply 10
Original post by nucleophile007
napier,University of the West of Scotland, the University of Edinburgh or the RCS?

Somebody has been looking at my previous posts!
It sounds like they were going to use the interview as a conversion tool, i.e. to persuade you to go there. Lots of unis do this, largely because
- people think that if they've had to jump through an extra hoop it must be more competitive
- the extra effort makes people more emotionally invested in the uni
- they get a day to market the uni to you

It certainly doesn't sound like they're flush with applicants, though that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad course or a bad uni.
Reply 12
Original post by Origami Bullets
It sounds like they were going to use the interview as a conversion tool, i.e. to persuade you to go there. Lots of unis do this, largely because
- people think that if they've had to jump through an extra hoop it must be more competitive

It certainly doesn't sound like they're flush with applicants, though that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad course or a bad uni.

I'd never considered this actually, but it makes a lot of sense.
Original post by Origami Bullets

This. I had an 'interview' at York which was just an excuse to sell us the uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending