The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Ricky Road Demolition

Hi there,

Recently I've been doing some research into Newcastle accommodation (even though I'm not starting uni until Sept 2016) and I've come across some articles that state Ricky Road is getting demolished in Summer 2016.

I'm really gutted about this! Ricky Road really appealed to me (yes, because it was and still is, apparently, party central) and I definitely wanted to stay there, that is, if I actually got accepted into Newcastle.

Just wanted to hear people's opinions on this! What do you think of the demolition? Any previous residents, what was your experience like and would you have recommended it? And also, if anyone has any information such as what will happen to the student's who would have been housed at Ricky Road? Will they have to stay in another, already existing accommodation? Will the atmosphere still be the same? I just want a really good fresher's year at uni! :frown:

Thanks!

Chloe x
Really? Never heard about it! If you look at some of the new accommodations exterior compared to ricky road you can understand why they would want to demolish it. Its known for parties etc, but I think its pretty basic to live in. If its the summer of 2016, i would imagine most people who live there would have went home by then, if not they may be rehoused in other accommodations in the meanwhile. You can still have a good freshers in other halls. Most people I know don't live in ricky road and still love it :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
I don't think it's set in stone yet; I believe they're still discussing plans and getting student consultation on it.
Reply 3
Yeah, I can understand why they are demolishing it because it does look like a prison to be fair haha I'm just wondering where the 800+ students (mostly undergrads) will be put in sept 2016? It's so confusing! Ricky road looks great and I just don't want it to go before I can experience it :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by rayquaza17
I don't think it's set in stone yet; I believe they're still discussing plans and getting student consultation on it.

True, but I have been emailing around and I got one saying they won't be including it in their 2016 portfolio...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by HistoryGirly
Really? Never heard about it! If you look at some of the new accommodations exterior compared to ricky road you can understand why they would want to demolish it. Its known for parties etc, but I think its pretty basic to live in. If its the summer of 2016, i would imagine most people who live there would have went home by then, if not they may be rehoused in other accommodations in the meanwhile. You can still have a good freshers in other halls. Most people I know don't live in ricky road and still love it :smile:

Yeah, I can understand why they are demolishing it because it does look like a prison to be fair haha I'm just wondering where the 800+ students (mostly undergrads) will be put in sept 2016? It's so confusing! Ricky road looks great and I just don't want it to go before I can experience it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chlo_evans

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're going to build new accommodation on the Ricky Road site, but I don't know when it'll be ready. To be honest I don't know if it actually will be demolished, the uni say they're gonna do it every year but then they always keep it because of student pressure.
Reply 7
Original post by chlo_evans
Hi there,

Recently I've been doing some research into Newcastle accommodation (even though I'm not starting uni until Sept 2016) and I've come across some articles that state Ricky Road is getting demolished in Summer 2016.

I'm really gutted about this! Ricky Road really appealed to me (yes, because it was and still is, apparently, party central) and I definitely wanted to stay there, that is, if I actually got accepted into Newcastle.

Just wanted to hear people's opinions on this! What do you think of the demolition? Any previous residents, what was your experience like and would you have recommended it? And also, if anyone has any information such as what will happen to the student's who would have been housed at Ricky Road? Will they have to stay in another, already existing accommodation? Will the atmosphere still be the same? I just want a really good fresher's year at uni! :frown:

Thanks!

Chloe x

I had not heard this myself but I know the university are creating new student accommodation at Science Central so it makes sense to redevelop other sites as well. Having said that, I do not think the university has the capacity to get rid of Ricky Road all at once so they will probably demolish it in stages.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending