The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Halls or House Share?

The way my student finance is set up means I get the minimal amount of maintenance loan which doesn't cover the whole cost of halls, meaning I'd have to use quite a bit of my savings, which I was hoping to use on food, travel and other expenses. By saving money do you think it'd be better to get a house share or halls?

At the same time, I know being in halls can be a really fun experience. I was in halls last year at a different uni but even there, no one really mixed with other people. So I don't think I'd miss out too much, obviously this is a different uni so the experience may be different.

Any advice would be great!
Hey I'm in the same predicament! Annoyingly I get a very minimum student loan, but I also don't want to miss out on the whole experience of halls. I really would have liked to stay in one of the halls with an en suite but I think I'm just gonna suck it up for a year and stay at the cheaper halls with a shared bathroom, and il also have to use a bit of my savings and try and find a part time job on the side for living costs, but the cheapest accomodation will be covered by my maitenence loan. Maybe you could do the same if you didn't want to miss out? X
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Reply 2
If you are a sociable person and like going out, partying etc then definitely go to halls but they are more expensive.

If you are a quite person - shared is the way to go. Plus it is cheaper, starting from £250 per month excl bills or you could get something nicer and closer to uni for 400-450 PCM all inclusive.

[INDENT]Hey their my name is Jordan, i am looking for 2 potential house mates to move into a 5 bed house in Southsea 20 min walk from the university its self, both rooms are big rooms with double beds, currently £79 a week or £343 including 100mb broadband but excludes other bills. its an amazing house. get in contact if your interested.

Oh and it has parking out front if your nifty with a parallel park

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending