The Student Room Group

2015 UCL School of Pharmacy Page

Scroll to see replies

I hope they're lenient with grades :frown: :frown:
Reply 41
Original post by beansontoast92
Ohh the competition doesn't really scare me.
What scares me now is that 40% people fail the year....that's ridiculously high no?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I can't remember the figure exactly, I'm sure it was King's that had 40% but I don't think UCL had that high amount, in any course there will be drop outs though I doubt it's because of the teaching

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by daisychain_
I hope they're lenient with grades :frown: :frown:

I don't think UCL are, they're quite strict..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hafzy113
Yeah I can't remember the figure exactly, I'm sure it was King's that had 40% but I don't think UCL had that high amount, in any course there will be drop outs though I doubt it's because of the teaching

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm gonna try and talk to one of my friends brother about it since he's doing pharmacy there.... I really don't like the sound of that... If the drop out thing and many people failing exams (heard from another mpharm student) is true then I may need to possibly consider another uni :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 44
I'm gonna try and talk to one of my friends brother about it since he's doing pharmacy there.... I really don't like the sound of that... If the drop out thing and many people failing exams (heard from another mpharm student) is true then I may need to possibly consider another uni :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah let us know too please.. Wow really is it terrifying you that much? It all depends on the student so if you know you'll work hard it should be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
so it is believed that roughly 80 students drop out each year out of the 200? the drop out rate cant be that high. that would be ridiculous. even a 20 percent drop out rate would be immensely shocking for any course. I think the person who told you this was exaggerating :biggrin: Ucl is one of the best for pharmacy behind notts, bath, uea and manchester. its easier to get into uni since last year compared to few years back. heres what i stumbled across on the telegraph. check this out guys...

"A drop of 8 per cent in applications across the country, blamed on this year's rise in tuition fees, has left some universities chasing students. At the same time, some have expanded the number of places on offer to take advantage of a new rule allowing unlimited recruitment of students with grades of AAB or over. A slight dip in national A-level results, including a fall in the proportion of entries graded A or A*, has also meant more leniency with borderline candidates. At University College London, a Russell Group member and ranked in the top ten of universities worldwide, applicants have been accepted despite dropping a grade from the three As they were asked for. One sixth former who was offered a place to read history conditional on achieving three A grades, yet only managed an A and two Bs, was nevertheless allowed to keep his place. The university, which has expanded its undergraduate intake by 250 this year, said the lifting of the cap for AAB students and a drop in results overall had given it more leeway to admit candidates who had fallen short of their initial offer. "In previous years we would have rejected most, if not all, such students," a spokesman said. "This year, the AAB rules has allowed institutions like UCL the flexibility to increase its numbers. "UCL does not use clearing and any spare capacity is taken by applicants who have already made a commitment to UCL by accepting an offer of admission from us earlier in the process.""

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/9530377/Students-who-fall-short-on-A-levels-win-places-at-top-universities.html
Yeah let us know too please.. Wow really is it terrifying you that much? It all depends on the student so if you know you'll work hard it should be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yhh it is worrying me cos people at UCL obs work very hard since they're literally straight As students. Anyways I'll defo let u guys know when I find out!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think UCL are, they're quite strict..

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're in extra this year, and apparently they don't like clearing, so they've got to fill the places somehow
Reply 48
UCL or Manchester?? :frown:
Reply 49
Yhh it is worrying me cos people at UCL obs work very hard since they're literally straight As students. Anyways I'll defo let u guys know when I find out!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It should be fine I'm sure & thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
They're in extra this year, and apparently they don't like clearing, so they've got to fill the places somehow

I've just heard before they're not as lenient so not sure they might reduce the amount they take if they don't get the places haven't got a clue

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just heard before they're not as lenient so not sure they might reduce the amount they take if they don't get the places haven't got a clue

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've heard that they're really strict with grades too, but then again pharmacy isn't terribly oversubscribed and it might be that they're more strict with courses such as law. Perhaps, but then again universities try to get as many students as possible (=more money for them).
Reply 52
UCL firmer from HongKong! :smile:
Has anyone here made up their mind on the accommodation already? Look forward to the life in London :tongue:
Original post by wlys
UCL firmer from HongKong! :smile:
Has anyone here made up their mind on the accommodation already? Look forward to the life in London :tongue:

As far as i know....you dont choose your accommodation. You only pick preferences ie close to campus, catered, ensuite etc and they will put you in somewhere.
Reply 54
As far as i know....you dont choose your accommodation. You only pick preferences ie close to campus, catered, ensuite etc and they will put you in somewhere.

Well then hopefully I will get the one that I like most :tongue:
How's the life in London actually lol?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by wlys
Well then hopefully I will get the one the I like most :tongue:
How's the life in London actually lol?

yep you just have to hope for the best.
London is amazin, its a big city with lots of things to do and many friendly people etc etc so if u ask me, im gonna be really biased lol
(edited 9 years ago)
Got rejected by all med school so most likely be firming UCL...I kinda changed my mind about studying medicine towards to end! Have u guys been offered accommodation yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Seems like it's just me on this thread hahah
Anyone know if the accommodation is on a first come first served basis?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Seems like it's just me on this thread hahah
Anyone know if the accommodation is on a first come first served basis?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hope not, i haven't completed student finance yet :s-smilie:
Hope not, i haven't completed student finance yet :s-smilie:

Im sure we can book the accommodation before student finance comes through. Im gonna do mine tommorrow so one less thing to worry about lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending