The Student Room Group

cardio nerd to buff guy advice needed

Scroll to see replies

I currently use about 80% calisthenics and am making considerable amount of muscle. These exercises are all at home as well! A key factor is diet and not just to eat more, but to eat the right things. I currently follow a high fat, high protein diet and its working for me. And I have one protein shake after each workout as well and that is all. I use gonutrition and as well as trying shop bought and myprotein I believe these two have the best value for money. Its not needed but certainly help just boost what is needed to male muscle.

PS. Got a referral code for gonutrition if you want it so just pm me or can just talk training :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by earthworm
Here's a question, I have started 5x5 and know I will need to up my calorie intake. Currently only squatting 30kg (we have to start somewhere!) when do I Increase my food intake? I eat healthily anyway and don't have a sweet tooth at all. I now weigh 67kg and am 5'10/11"

I personally don't calorie count but its a good idea if you want to be precise. Maybe just set out a meal plan that fits around your day (eat in free time, not straight before workouts) that gives you plenty of fruit and veg. That way you are less tempted to eat badly, plus you are making yourself get the extra food for growth

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber
I started from the same point as you, ran a marathon, started lifting.

Read the FAQ
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757

I agree for the most part with your post apart from the highlighted

The highlighted is absolute broscience

"ran a marathon, started lifting, stopped running, became unfit"

Lol
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
"ran a marathon, started lifting, stopped running, became unfit"

Lol

Nah, was still pretty fit before injury (unrelated to lifting or cardio) :smile:

Now that I'm fixed, I do cardio and weights :smile:
Nah, was still pretty fit before injury (unrelated to lifting or cardio) :smile:

You do cardio? :eek4: I'm actually surprised... Nice one

I thought your knee injury was to do with excessive exercise?

Did you miss me btw? :flutter:
You do cardio? :eek4: I'm actually surprised... Nice one

I thought your knee injury was to do with excessive exercise?

Did you miss me btw? :flutter:

Indeed I do

Whilst the original injury was; what it progressed to was a complication of treatment I had when I was younger.

I miss Katie actually.

The "fitness" section mod is a lifter who doesn't even do cardio.... what a joke

:smile:
Indeed I do

Whilst the original injury was; what it progressed to was a complication of treatment I had when I was younger.

I miss Katie actually.

:smile:

Interesting :mute:

Who's Katie? :huff:

Awwwwww you kept that quote I made :love:

Are we still on for a date with me you and radical one? :biggrin:
Reply 47

What wad your time over 26.2miles and was the training harder for marathon or your lifting?
Interesting :mute:

Who's Katie? :huff:

Awwwwww you kept that quote I made :love:

Are we still on for a date with me you and radical one? :biggrin:

Dunno, who is Katie?

Dinaa is coming too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dunno, who is Katie?

Dinaa is coming too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know :mute: I don't have any other accounts on here :holmes:

Woo sounds like a party :biggrin: Do you live near where I live? :fan:
What wad your time over 26.2miles and was the training harder for marathon or your lifting?

Just sub 4 hours

Died on the day due to deciding that the free lucosade was a good idea to drink on the way round - stomach cramps were horrendous

Marathon training was more consuming and I found it quite tedious doing very long runs, but I like how fit I was; lifting was harder at the beginning as I was too inflexible from all the running I had done, but now I really enjoy lifting. They're so different, hence why they're more personal preference
Reply 51
Just sub 4 hours

Died on the day due to deciding that the free lucosade was a good idea to drink on the way round - stomach cramps were horrendous

Marathon training was more consuming and I found it quite tedious doing very long runs, but I like how fit I was; lifting was harder at the beginning as I was too inflexible from all the running I had done, but now I really enjoy lifting. They're so different, hence why they're more personal preference

Sub 4 is a great achievement, I made 3:42 and feel pretty smug :smile: it was free powebar drink in Berlin and that was pretty nasty. I also felt incredibly fit but woman just don't find aerobic capacity sexy :frown:. My upper body strength is my problem, I'm blasting out the squats but I will stall on OH press v soon. I am hoping lifting will be easier to fit round family life too.
Sub 4 is a great achievement, I made 3:42 and feel pretty smug :smile: it was free powebar drink in Berlin and that was pretty nasty. I also felt incredibly fit but woman just don't find aerobic capacity sexy :frown:. My upper body strength is my problem, I'm blasting out the squats but I will stall on OH press v soon. I am hoping lifting will be easier to fit round family life too.

Ah nice congrats! I was hoping for 3:45 but drinking the bottle or so of lucosade on my way round made that impossible :tongue:

You running a 5x5 sort of thing? If so the answer might be just to deload the OHP and work your way back up. Or if your weight is very static; up the calories a bit :smile:
Reply 53
Ah nice congrats! I was hoping for 3:45 but drinking the bottle or so of lucosade on my way round made that impossible :tongue:

You running a 5x5 sort of thing? If so the answer might be just to deload the OHP and work your way back up. Or if your weight is very static; up the calories a bit :smile:

Yeah SL5x5, not much to deload... Might increase rest and up food! Am a a bit of an ectomorph (but not completely)
Yeah SL5x5, not much to deload... Might increase rest and up food! Am a a bit of an ectomorph (but not completely)

Haha fair enough then; up food and rest sounds like a good plan! :smile:
I know you say there are no normal gyms around you but have you looked if there's s CrossFit gym around? It'll keep your cardio fitness up as well as building your muscle
Reply 56
Original post by Katiewalden
I know you say there are no normal gyms around you but have you looked if there's s CrossFit gym around? It'll keep your cardio fitness up as well as building your muscle

It was more of a cost thing but found out my work get a huge discount on the gym opposite, so I have started SL5x5 during my lunch hour. Started at the bar so am progessing slowly!
Reply 57
Hi all, a bit of an update. I have been doing strong lifts 5x5 program and have gaind nearly a stone in 3-4 weeks, I think some of this is fat, some will be water from the creatine and I'm sure some is muscle too. I have gained quote a bit of muscle on my upper legs, this will be due to muscle memory from running coupled with squats 3 times per week. Gains are less obvious on my upper body, I am considering adding some light swimming to my rest days to develop my upper body what do you guys think?

Quick Reply

Latest