The Student Room Group

law with an avce?

im studying avce double award business and a level law at college with th e intention of studying law at uni. I really want to and would like to go to a decent uni. im lookin at uea (norwich), warwick, bristol, exeter, nottingham and a few other places. can anyone tell me if im being realistic? im expectin straight a's but is it enough? ive definatly got the desire but is it a reality? please help im really worried!
Reply 1
Only in extreme cases is there such a thing as being too unrealistic (the old member ^mjg^ was a good example of this) but if you have the enthusiasm and the drive then just go for it! Although i would suggest that half of your six choices go to maybe first or second division universities which are really just as good and maybe only two or three for notts and bristol and such. All you really need is a great personal statement and reference which im sure you're more than capable of because you seem like you really want to do this. You may also need, for the more popular universities at least some decent GCSE grades. Most of all, please don't let anyone tell you that you're not good enough for these universities- just try it I'm sure you'll be surprised.

Oh and, not to be discouraging but if you can, try and change your a-level in law to something like history or geography or a science/language- if it's too late then don't worry about it though. And how come you opted for an AVCE instead of A-level? Not that it's bad, just wandering, you may have to double check that your chosen universities accept AVCE's.
Yes go for it! But do check that they accept AVCE's and if not- do an extra year and do some subjects that you were good at at GCSE or something that you're interested in. I'm sure you'll be successful wherever you go.
Reply 3
young_free
Only in extreme cases is there such a thing as being too unrealistic (the old member ^mjg^ was a good example of this) but if you have the enthusiasm and the drive then just go for it! Although i would suggest that half of your six choices go to maybe first or second division universities which are really just as good and maybe only two or three for notts and bristol and such. All you really need is a great personal statement and reference which im sure you're more than capable of because you seem like you really want to do this. You may also need, for the more popular universities at least some decent GCSE grades. Most of all, please don't let anyone tell you that you're not good enough for these universities- just try it I'm sure you'll be surprised.

Oh and, not to be discouraging but if you can, try and change your a-level in law to something like history or geography or a science/language- if it's too late then don't worry about it though. And how come you opted for an AVCE instead of A-level? Not that it's bad, just wandering, you may have to double check that your chosen universities accept AVCE's.

I decided not to do a levels cos there wasn't 4 subjets that i particularly enjoyed. I really like business but wanted to do law. Most of the uni's i mentioned accept avce's in place of 2 a levels according to thier prospectuses. I know several of them are top uni's but from reading some of the threads on this site a lot of training contracts only want the top uni's. I got good gcse grades, mostly a's but i still worry. thanks for ur encouragement it has really put my mind at rest. Im just going to apply and c wot happens! it all i can do!
u dont need any specific A levels to do law but A'S will be a gd start!
go for the uni that specializes in it
just becuase a uni has really a really gd reputation, it doesnt mean that it will be right for the course u want to study
Reply 5
If you have trouble getting in, seriously consider (if you live vaguely near London and can afford it) Birkbeck college's Certificate in Legal Method. Not only do places like Nottingham highly rate it, it will give you an excellent grounding in law...
Reply 6
Wow I didn't know about that! Sounds like a great thing to have!

Latest

Trending

Trending