The Student Room Group

Should I take a gap year??

Brief summary:

Offers for History from Exeter, York and Royal Holloway, and Anthropology at Durham

Have recently realised that I want to change the course I'm applying for to something that I would enjoy more and has better employability (something along the lines of ESPS or HSPS)

Is it worth taking a year out to reapply?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by scavi2008
Brief summary:

Offers for History from Exeter, York and Royal Holloway
Have referred Durham application to Anthropology however it's been over a month
Have recently realised that I want to change the course I'm applying for to something that I would enjoy more and has better employability (something along the lines of Business and Management, Spanish & International Relations, ESPS or HSPS)
I'm not sure I want to go to Exeter either, as it was my third choice uni

Is it worth taking a year out to reapply?

Don't start on any course you are already unsure about just for the sake of it. Start by asking those places who have made you offers if they would consider taking you for a different course. If not, you could reject all your offers and enter Extra, but check first if the course you are interested in is really available. I'd be inclined to have a gap year since you sound pretty uncertain still.
From the sounds of it, definitely. You might get bored and feel like you regret it in your gap year but it's better than doing the wrong course for three years that it sounds like you won't enjoy and will leave you in a mountain of debt. I took a year out and changed courses and I'm glad I did.
Reply 3
I've just recieved an offer from Durham for Anthropology - now I don't know whether to accept it or take a gap year!
Reply 4
I've just recieved an offer from Durham for Anthropology - now I don't know whether to accept it or take a gap year!

Read about the course modules on their website and try an find students who study this course to see what the job prospects are

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am quite concerned here. Firstly you should only go for a course you are interested in and secondly it sees you may just be looking at the reputation of Durham. If you really WANT this course go for it. If not go somewhere else to do something you are interested in. for example ask Exeter or Royal Holloway if they will allow you to do business or Spanish and Industrial Relations instead. If you do decide on Durham be aware their business school is 25 miles away in Stockton not Durham City

Does Durham have an induction day for offer holders? If so, definitely go along to these as they are really useful. Some uni's offer taster lectures and seminars and you get to speak to current students and get a really thorough insight from them...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending