The Student Room Group

Where to study the GDL?

Hi all,

I've been offered all 3 of my choices to study the GDL - City University, University of Law (CoL), BPP. I'm not sure which one to choose! Can anyone suggest the best place? I did go to the open day for CoL and really enjoyed it. I don't really want to take the BPTC route (which I heard City would be the best for), I'm more leaning toward the LPC.

Which would be my best option?

:confused:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redrose23
Hi all,

I've been offered all 3 of my choices to study the GDL - City University, University of Law (CoL), BPP. I'm not sure which one to choose! Can anyone suggest the best place? I did go to the open day for CoL and really enjoyed it. I don't really want to take the BPTC route (which I heard City would be the best for), I'm more leaning toward the LPC.

Hey, congratulations. I have a friend who took Law in undergrad at LSE, got a TC with Norton Rose Fulbright, which sponsored his LPC spot at BPP Law. He says BPP and University of Law are the most reputable.

Quick question: I am also in the process of applying for the GDL. I have not yet submitted my application yet though, because I am still waiting for a few documents. I am planning to by early April. The CAB website however says that there is no longer an official application deadline for GDL and LPC... So I panicked a little bit when I saw that acceptances were already being granted as that means the availability is decreasing by the day! When exactly did you submit your official application? Thank you for the help.
Original post by J-SP
You will be fine at any of them. The GDL is a standardised professional course, so the institution you attend doesn't really matter from a name on your CV perspective.

However, UOL and BPP will have stronger ties to firms who send their trainees there, and therefore you may find it easier to connect with potential employers at events.

However the careers service at City is pretty good too at arranging these type of things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! You seem quite knowledgeable about this topic so I might as well ask you too. Considering that there is no longer an application deadline for the September/January GDL programs as stated in the CAB website, do you think it would be fine for me to submit my form early April?
Hi all,

The vast majority of law firms use BPP and UoL. The main difference (apparently) is BPP has open-book exams for the GDL, while UoL has closed-book. This is reversed for the LPC.
I'd go with BPP. In terms of material, you can't cherry-pick topics within many of the subjects at UoL.
Original post by TurboCretin
The vast majority of law firms use BPP and UoL. The main difference (apparently) is BPP has open-book exams for the GDL, while UoL has closed-book. This is reversed for the LPC.

Why do people keep saying this? How do these rumours start? It's a postgraduate diploma. Do people really think the SRA or the BSB is going to let one college get away with open book exams? You don't even get to do that in your GCSEs!

You are allowed a statute book. This is because you will be penalised for imprecisely quoting statute. If you cannot remember the name of the statute or what section/sub-section a rule is in come exam time, you are going to have so many problems that paging around in a book is only going to make you sink further. In the exam you have 1 hr per question and it'll take that long for you to apply the facts to the law you already know and write it down. You need to be able to cite what you do for each kind of issue (fraud, easements etc) off by heart before you even get in the exam room, statute is not going to help you remember case law or what a dominant tenement is.

Full disclosure: I chose BPP because they had (for me) the far superior approach to disabled students compared with the other providers. YMMV.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by monokurobuu
Why do people keep saying this? How do these rumours start? It's a postgraduate diploma. Do people really think the SRA or the BSB is going to let one college get away with open book exams? You don't even get to do that in your GCSEs!

You are allowed a statute book. This is because you will be penalised for imprecisely quoting statute. If you cannot remember the name of the statute or what section/sub-section a rule is in come exam time, you are going to have so many problems that paging around in a book is only going to make you sink further. In the exam you have 1 hr per question and it'll take that long for you to apply the facts to the law you already know and write it down. You need to be able to cite what you do for each kind of issue (fraud, easements etc) off by heart before you even get in the exam room, statute is not going to help you remember case law or what a dominant tenement is.

Full disclosure: I chose BPP because they had (for me) the far superior approach to disabled students compared with the other providers. YMMV.

I'm going on the basis of what I've been told by those in my (BPP) LPC cohort who did the GDL, hence the 'apparently'. Friends of mine who did the LPC at UoL could take notes into the exam, which is what people normally mean by open-book (which, incidentally, shows that your incredulity at the suggestion that the SRA doesn't have a cast-iron grip over the rudders of GDL/LPC providers may be a little misplaced).

If all BPP allows for the GDL is statute books, then that doesn't sound very open-book, you're right.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TurboCretin
I'm going on the basis of what I've been told by those in my (BPP) LPC cohort who did the GDL, hence the 'apparently'. Friends of mine who did the LPC at UoL could take notes into the exam, which is what people normally mean by open-book (which, incidentally, shows that your incredulity at the suggestion that the SRA doesn't have a cast-iron grip over the rudders of GDL/LPC providers may be a little misplaced).

If all BPP allows for the GDL is statute books, then that doesn't sound very open-book, you're right.

I wonder if this is related to the (true) story of the BPP student who rebound all their study notes into the cover of their statute book to sneak them into the exam? IIRC they got busted because their font was wrong. I am suprised that BPP don't allow notes for the LPC since I'd assume this is closer to practice (well as close as a exams are going to get), but I guess it may due to which firms have agreements with who and their preferences.

Anyway I wanted to set this straight as it is something I get told every single time (without exception so far!) when I meet students from other providers. The whole BPP students are 'stupid' because they have 'open-book' exams on the GDL or because more students do the LPC at BPP, or that 'a City pass is a BPP distinction' style stuff gets massively tiresome. People need to accept that if someone went to X and got a better mark and you went to Y and got a worse one, it's not because one institution is 'easier'. No matter how much you would love it because they did undergrad at a redbrick and you went 'elite'. FWIW I went to a RG uni and it's just as tiresome getting the 'Oh why didn't you go to City? It's where the smart people go!' spiel, which is also assinine on so many levels.

IMO the biggest difference GDL provider makes is in regards to private loans if you want to switch providers later as some of them did not (will not?) let you extend the same loan to cover LPC fees, living expenses or pre-graduation interest holidays at a different provider.
Original post by monokurobuu
I wonder if this is related to the (true) story of the BPP student who rebound all their study notes into the cover of their statute book to sneak them into the exam? IIRC they got busted because their font was wrong. I am suprised that BPP don't allow notes for the LPC since I'd assume this is closer to practice (well as close as a exams are going to get), but I guess it may due to which firms have agreements with who and their preferences.

Anyway I wanted to set this straight as it is something I get told every single time (without exception so far!) when I meet students from other providers. The whole BPP students are 'stupid' because they have 'open-book' exams on the GDL or because more students do the LPC at BPP, or that 'a City pass is a BPP distinction' style stuff gets massively tiresome. People need to accept that if someone went to X and got a better mark and you went to Y and got a worse one, it's not because one institution is 'easier'. No matter how much you would love it because they did undergrad at a redbrick and you went 'elite'. FWIW I went to a RG uni and it's just as tiresome getting the 'Oh why didn't you go to City? It's where the smart people go!' spiel, which is also assinine on so many levels.

IMO the biggest difference GDL provider makes is in regards to private loans if you want to switch providers later as some of them did not (will not?) let you extend the same loan to cover LPC fees, living expenses or pre-graduation interest holidays at a different provider.

I heard about that guy too. Seems like it would have been less effort to just learn the material to be honest.

I agree about open book probably being closer to practice. At the same time, there are certain things you'd do well to have committed to memory for the purposes of a client meeting. And while the pass mark may be 50% in an exam, in practice it's 100%. If you can't get close to that in an exam with notes in front of you, that doesn't bode well in my opinion.

Debates between GDL students over the standards of the providers are strange to me. The GDL is little more than a box to tick. I'm not aware of any firm which sends its trainees to City, so I suppose they have to massage their jobless egos somehow.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by mariaxparis
Hey, congratulations. I have a friend who took Law in undergrad at LSE, got a TC with Norton Rose Fulbright, which sponsored his LPC spot at BPP Law. He says BPP and University of Law are the most reputable.

Quick question: I am also in the process of applying for the GDL. I have not yet submitted my application yet though, because I am still waiting for a few documents. I am planning to by early April. The CAB website however says that there is no longer an official application deadline for GDL and LPC... So I panicked a little bit when I saw that acceptances were already being granted as that means the availability is decreasing by the day! When exactly did you submit your official application? Thank you for the help.

Hey - you should be fine to submit your application in April. I attended an open day last year (middle of December) and there were still places avail at that stage for the Jan intake. I submitted my application around the start of March, it took about 2 to 3 week to receive all the offers, which was much quicker than I expected. Good luck with your application!
Reply 10
Original post by J-SP
You will be fine at any of them. The GDL is a standardised professional course, so the institution you attend doesn't really matter from a name on your CV perspective.

However, UOL and BPP will have stronger ties to firms who send their trainees there, and therefore you may find it easier to connect with potential employers at events.

However the careers service at City is pretty good too at arranging these type of things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, thanks. I'm leaning more toward UoL, as I attended the open day there and really enjoyed it. But people keep telling me City is the only "proper" university and I should go there instead...
Reply 11
Original post by J-SP
It really doesn't work like that for the GDL or LPC. They are professional, standardised qualifications.

The only reason BPP and UOL get extra credit is because so many firms send their trainees to either of them. But if you have signed up to the course of your own accord, it really doesn't matter where you have studied it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, thanks.
Reply 12
Off topic but I figured that people in this thread will know. So I understand that due to how competitive the field of law is, the prestige of the university in which you study a law degree is significant in deciding which firms you can get a training contract from. Is university prestige still taken into account as much when you have studied for a degree other than law and then take the GDL conversion?

Thanks
Hey - you should be fine to submit your application in April. I attended an open day last year (middle of December) and there were still places avail at that stage for the Jan intake. I submitted my application around the start of March, it took about 2 to 3 week to receive all the offers, which was much quicker than I expected. Good luck with your application!

Thanks very much for your help.

Another inquiry: I took my undergrad in the United States so I'm used to having official transcripts sent directly to the institutions during the application process. The Central Applications Board, however, only requires a personal direct upload on the application website itself... This means I can only attach copies of unofficial transcripts as that's the policy of the schools I've attended. Is that really how it works in the United Kingdom? The GDL application will accept unofficial copies? Or do I also have to send official copies to the places I am applying to (the instructions don't specify that though)?

Thanks again.
Original post by J-SP
I'm sure it would be fine. I've known people to sign up to the GDL after the courses have started at the likes of BPP and UOL.

The only benefit of signing up earlier would be if you have TC interviews a coming up in the coming weeks and you could show your commitment to the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks very much for your help.

Another inquiry: I took my undergrad in the United States so I'm used to having official transcripts sent directly to the institutions during the application process. The Central Applications Board, however, only requires a personal direct upload on the application website itself... This means I can only attach copies of unofficial transcripts as that's the policy of the schools I've attended. Is that really how it works in the United Kingdom? The GDL application will accept unofficial copies? Or do I also have to send official copies to the places I am applying to (the instructions don't specify that though)?

Thanks again.
Reply 15
does it matter where you study the GDL location wise? I cannot afford to live in London but I want to end up practising there (I already have 3 vac schemes under my belt so I'm confident I will get some interviews).
Original post by CGSW
does it matter where you study the GDL location wise? I cannot afford to live in London but I want to end up practising there (I already have 3 vac schemes under my belt so I'm confident I will get some interviews).

Original post by J-SP
Not at all - it's a fairly standardised course and institutions, in terms of reputation for the GDL, are much of a muchness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

S/he's asking about (geographical) locations, and I understand it can make a difference in terms of facilities. CGSW should ask people who studied in the regional branches how they found the library resources etc.

From the point of view of getting a job, though, I doubt it matters.
Reply 17
Ok so I have narrowed it down to Manchester, Leeds or Bristol to do my GDL with BPP. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm from Scotland and do not know England at all, nor have I been to any of these places!
Original post by J-SP
I guess if your only looking at BPP/UoL that might be true to some extent, but then again some of those regional branches are far more impressive than some in London, so I wouldn't necessarily make that judgement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Guildford campus of UoL is bizarrely quaint. Wish I'd gone there...
Reply 19
Original post by CGSW
Ok so I have narrowed it down to Manchester, Leeds or Bristol to do my GDL with BPP. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm from Scotland and do not know England at all, nor have I been to any of these places!

Hi, I studied my undergrad in Edinburgh & am probably going to accept my offer for BPP in Bristol. I loved Edinburgh and have visited Bristol lots & really like it as a city. I can see some similarities between the two! However my best friend is going to Manc for her GDL because of the links it has to the firm she most wants to end up in, so I suppose it's horses for courses!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending