The Student Room Group

Blind spot on roundabouts? URGENT DRIVING TEST TODAY

Hey guys,

I have my driving test today and I've just found out, through Google, that you're supposed to check your left blind spot when turning right on a roundabout. My instructor has never told me to do this before, I only check interior and left wing mirror. Will they fail you if you don't check your blind spot?
(edited 9 years ago)
They might, always check your blind spot mirrors when you stop and when you leave! At roundabout you need to check all your mirror but I don't think you need to check your blind spot. Hope that helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So when you pass the second exit and you are going to move into the left lane, do you check interior, left wing mirror AND left blind spot (as in over your shoulder) before signalling left. Or do you just check mirrors? That's essentially my question.
You only check your mirrors I think!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you passed? Lol I'm just panicking; now that my test has come I keep finding out things that my instructor hasn't taught me and I'm really annoyed! Hopefully it is only mirrors you're supposed to check :/ but should I take that risk?
i was taugh that when i was turning right at a roundabout, when I passed the second to last exit check my mirrors and have a little glance towards the left to double check there was nothing in my blind spot before moving over.
Original post by blue n white army
i was taugh that when i was turning right at a roundabout, when I passed the second to last exit check my mirrors and have a little glance towards the left to double check there was nothing in my blind spot before moving over.

Do you look over your left shoulder? How would you check the left blindspot?
Original post by yellowdiamond
Do you look over your left shoulder? How would you check the left blindspot?

I look out the front passenger side window maybe glancing out the rear passenger side window just to doulbe check im not going to be cutting anyone up by moving over.
I don't believe this is something I was necessarily taught by my instructor but from experience on the roads I would always have a quick glance just to be sure. I would say examiners are looking you are safe, if you do a quick sideways glance to check there nothing in your blind spot before moving over you won't fail (unless there was something there and you still moved) but if you just checked the mirror and you didn't see something in your blind spot and moved over you would fail. However if you checked the mirror and there happened to be nothing in the blind spot then I'm sure you wouldn't fail either.

I think with a driving test its all about showing them you are safe. So personally, a quick sideways glance to double check is safer to me.
Yes I have! That's what I was taught! How did your test go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yellowdiamond
Hey guys,

I have my driving test today and I've just found out, through Google, that you're supposed to check your left blind spot when turning right on a roundabout. My instructor has never told me to do this before, I only check interior and left wing mirror. Will they fail you if you don't check your blind spot?

How did it go? For the record, I was never taught to check my blindspot on a roundabout and I passed. I don't see where it'd be necessary tbh, there shouldn't be anyone on your left as you exit the roundabout. Anyone in the left lane would have left at the last exit, and nobody else would have joined the left lane as you came round because they wouldn't have joined the roundabout if you were coming round. You still check your left mirror as you exit though, but not your blindspot.
Thanks for your answers. I didn't check my blindspot on roundabouts in the test, that wasn't a problem. I still failed anyway! :frown:
Original post by WoodyMKC
How did it go? For the record, I was never taught to check my blindspot on a roundabout and I passed. I don't see where it'd be necessary tbh, there shouldn't be anyone on your left as you exit the roundabout. Anyone in the left lane would have left at the last exit, and nobody else would have joined the left lane as you came round because they wouldn't have joined the roundabout if you were coming round. You still check your left mirror as you exit though, but not your blindspot.

and that's why hundreds of motorcyclists are killed or seriously injured yearly in this country, this is why such a blindspot check is called a 'lifesaver' on a motorbike.

You should ALWAYS check the blindspot when leaving a roundabout, there could quite easily be a motorcyclist to your left.

You say there shouldn't be anybody there, which is right to a certain extent if everybody followed the rules, but there could quite easily be somebody there, so why aren't you checking its safe to do the maneuver?

But its fine, until you sh*t yourself after nearly hitting someone who has sneaked up on your left and attempted to squeeze past, you'll probably not realise the importance of such checks.
Original post by kernow24
and that's why hundreds of motorcyclists are killed or seriously injured yearly in this country, this is why such a blindspot check is called a 'lifesaver' on a motorbike.

You should ALWAYS check the blindspot when leaving a roundabout, there could quite easily be a motorcyclist to your left.

You say there shouldn't be anybody there, which is right to a certain extent if everybody followed the rules, but there could quite easily be somebody there, so why aren't you checking its safe to do the maneuver?

But its fine, until you sh*t yourself after nearly hitting someone who has sneaked up on your left and attempted to squeeze past, you'll probably not realise the importance of such checks.

Well they shouldn't be there, hence why even examiners don't even care.

Darwinism.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Darwinism.

maybe so, but you'd be held liable if you were to knock somebody off in such a situation, how does a dangerous driving conviction sound all for the sake of a second glance to see if its safe to exit a roundabout
maybe so, but you'd be held liable if you were to knock somebody off in such a situation, how does a dangerous driving conviction sound all for the sake of a second glance to see if its safe to exit a roundabout

Nope. For someone to be in your way as you were turning off, they'd have to have ignored the rules of roundabout use - either they took the wrong lane or they joined the roundabout when traffic was approaching from the right. Ignoring the rules of the road = dangerous driving = it'd be your fault.
Examiners might ignore the rule because someone shouldn't be there, and it might be their fault if you hit them because they ignored the rules of the road, but personally I would rather not hit them in the first place.

To be honest I'm really surprised you haven't ever been in a situation where someone is there, because it's quite common for this to happen, maybe it depends, but there are roundabouts near me where the exits and entrances are very close together and this happens frequently.

Just as people shouldn't pull out in front of you at junctions, but they do, doesn't mean I shouldn't put my breaks on because they were at fault... Surely it is better to do all you can to avoid a situation.

Regardless of whether someone is following the rules of the road or not it is your responsibility to be safe, I don't fancy smashing in to the side of a car, it could kill someone, and whether that's 'my fault' or not, it's not a chance I'm willing to take.

I see people do stupid stuff on the roads all the time, and that's why I wouldn't just drive around airy fairy following the standard rules of the road, because other people mean that they don't actually work.
(edited 9 years ago)
You definately need to check ur blindspot when turning right, thats what failed me. I only had 2 minors and i checked left wing n centre mirror only, that classed as a serious
Original post by Kimmiejean
You definately need to check ur blindspot when turning right, thats what failed me. I only had 2 minors and i checked left wing n centre mirror only, that classed as a serious

I passed my test last year and they don't expect you to check blindspot at any time except before you move off, whilst doing a manoeuvre and when you restart after doing an emergency stop. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending