The Student Room Group

Test??

I've been learning to drive for a while now and i think im ready for my test.. did your driving instructer tell you when you were ready or did you just tell them your going to book your test? i dont know what to do:confused:
Hint to your instructor that you want to take your test, they'll either say "Yes good idea" or "No no no NO!" :biggrin:
My instructor left it to the end of a lesson before he said I think we need to book a test, but if you feel ready just ask your instructor what they think/ say you are feeling ready.
My instructor just said "Have you booked a test yet?" and I replied with a "No." and then said that I should so I went home and booked a test.

I'd advise to just ask your instructor of what he/she thinks about it or you can book test 1 month - 2 months in advance and then tell your instructor that you booked it, that should be plenty of time to get you ready for the test and if you are not ready, you can delay it. But I advise speaking to your instructor about it.
Reply 4
id say book your test, there's usually a bit of a wait anyway, then discuss it with your instructor, its something to work towards, or discuss it first and then book it, but get it booked

you don't want to needlessly pay for lessons if you're up to test standard within the coming weeks and need to wait 6 or 8 weeks for a test, a real possibility around this time. its coming up to summer now, test centers are going to be getting busier as the weeks go on as people want to pass before the summer, before they go to uni etc any cancellations will be snapped up in a heart beat, its like a feeding frenzy at certain times of the year.

You can always push back a test if you're not ready, but personally id book a test for in say 4 or 6 weeks, have that as an aim, if you need more lessons, either try to fit them in or move the test back, there's no harm in it, and if its booked you'll either work and get to the standard or put it back, but at least there wont be wasted weeks between being ready and taking the test.

There's nothing more frustrating than needlessly spending money, lessons are expensive! when you knew that you should have booked a test earlier and worked towards that goal.

whats the worst that can happen? you get within a week of the test, don't feel ready or think you need some extra time and you push it back, its no big deal.
Original post by chloebxx
I've been learning to drive for a while now and i think im ready for my test.. did your driving instructer tell you when you were ready or did you just tell them your going to book your test? i dont know what to do:confused:

Do you feel like you could pass your test?
Talk to your instructor about it and see what they think.
My instructor told me to book it but in the weeks leading up to the test I didn't feel ready enough and she agreed so I moved it back. Even if you book it now but don't feel ready near the test date you can move it until you're ready :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you everyone!
I've got a 2 hour lesson tonight so im going to speak to her about it and see what she says! i think it would be good to have a date to aim for, i've been learning since June and have recently got a car to use with provisional insurance, so hopefully she feels the same!:rolleyes:
Reply 7
If your instructor thinks you're ready then they'll give you the all-clear to book it. An ADI shouldn't agree to enter unready pupils. You have to show the examiner you can handle the car and can proceed with learning to drive in a safe manner. Passing the test doesn't mean you're a good driver (some shouldn't even have a license) that takes years, so don't overthink the test.

Quick Reply

Latest