The Student Room Group

Theresa may's new counter extremism policies

Today, the home secretary has announced that islamist extremism will be tackled head on.

She is proposing that the thresholds be widened to those who can be considered extremists (e.g. people who cannot currently be prosecuted may be under new laws)

She also has advocated a review into all sharia courts in Britain.

Personally, I think this is great. The government has been too soft on extremists up until now, which just makes it seem more acceptable. Obviously extremism does not come solely through islam, but islamic extremism is more common and often more violent than other forms. This can hardly be denied.

No doubt Labour and the LibDems will come out against this, arguing that it restricts liberty and inhibits diversity. I'm not sure that civil liberties make beheading acceptable, or indeed preaching 'death to gays' or 'behead those who insult islam'.

As ever, peaceful and non-violent muslims need not feel threatened.

What do you think?
(edited 9 years ago)
Do you know Hopenothate (more like hopenotjewishhate) attacked Theresa May for being soft of Islamic extremists?
Just one point (aside from the concerning authoritarian status of some of these proposals), a review of Sharia courts? You abolish them entirely. There is no place for them is society that has one law for all.
Original post by limetang
Just one point (aside from the concerning authoritarian status of some of these proposals), a review of Sharia courts? You abolish them entirely. There is no place for them is society that has one law for all.

I would say no to this but I would want them to have a solicitor backing the ruling to ensure they do comply with UK law (which given it is a sharia court would mostly be 'no it doesn't try again::wink: )
Reply 4
Too soft. There should not be any Sharia Courts allowed in the UK in the first place! One law of the land for all. Sharia allows Islamic justice to go unseen behind the doors of the mosque. It's not the sophisticated impartial justice of the State for it's citizens so why permit it? How they can possibly hold any proper legality on these shores is beyond me. It stinks. Ban them all make them illegal. To allow religiously exclusive courts is to promote the social fragmentation of Britain, when we are already too compromised by Islamic rejection of British values. If they don't accept the law of the land like everyone else then they should not be allowed to live here. If they like Sharia so much they should go live in any of the backward countries that embraces it. Respect and submit willingly to our ways and embrace them or go. If not it's all increasingly heading for a very ugly violent collision course but it won't be Islam that wins. There'll be a lot of innocents massacred though. Such is the militant face of Islam. I can't fathom why Non Muslim Britons are rolling over in silent apathy and allowing the steady, step by step annihilation of their culture? Do they believe the narrative that the West is rascist and Islamophobic if we don't like Islam and agree with it's exclusive one-sided demands and arguments? Perhaps it's the same pitiful reason Rotherham's authorities allowed the systematic sexual predation of so many vulnerable white teenage girls for so long, i.e. too frightened of being called rascist or islamaphobe.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by PopaPork
I would say no to this but I would want them to have a solicitor backing the ruling to ensure they do comply with UK law (which given it is a sharia court would mostly be 'no it doesn't try again::wink: )

See to my mind I don't know how, bar in the case of a civil dispute where both parties agree to the ruling of an arbitrator, in this case being a sharia court, how a sharia court can be either complaint or comparable with UK law.

The law is the law for everyone here, and it is only the British law courts that can and should have the authority to conduct trials and implement punishments for violation of it. The only purpose a sharia court can serve in this context is as disruption of the rule of law, and to violate the principe of equality before the law.

And to my mind anyone who thinks this proposal is islamophobic (not implying at all that you do) is at best a fool, this is nothing to do with Islam and EVERYTHING to do with equality before the law.
Original post by Marco1
Too soft. There should not be any Sharia Courts allowed in the UK in the first place! One law of the land for all. Sharia allows Islamic justice to go unseen behind the doors of the mosque. It's not the sophisticated impartial justice of the State for it's citizens so why permit it? How they can possibly hold any proper legality on these shores is beyond me. It stinks. Ban them all make them illegal. To allow religiously exclusive courts is to promote the social fragmentation of Britain, when we are already too compromised by Islamic rejection of British values. If they don't accept the law of the land like everyone else then they should not be allowed to live here. If they like Sharia so much they should go live in any of the backward countries that embraces it. Respect and submit willingly to our ways and embrace them or go. If not it's all increasingly heading for a very ugly violent collision course but it won't be Islam that wins. There'll be a lot of innocents massacred though. Such is the militant face of Islam. I can't fathom why Non Muslim Britons are rolling over in silent apathy and allowing the steady, step by step annihilation of their culture? Do they believe the narrative that the West is rascist and Islamophobic if we don't like Islam and agree with it's exclusive one-sided demands and arguments? Perhaps it's the same pitiful reason Rotherham's authorities allowed the systematic sexual predation of so many vulnerable white teenage girls for so long, i.e. too frightened of being called rascist or islamaphobe.

This. Although to my mind it's absolutely nothing to do with attacking Islam, and everything to do with coming down hard on people and organisations who are subverting the course of justice. There is only one law and only one institution that is allowed to determine the guilt of and to punish crime.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending