The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

Vincente
Well these factors give it "prestigous" feel about it. Lets be honest KCL ain't the university it was say 100 years ago. Its being beaten by the likes of York and Nottingham. However it is the fact that KCL is one of the oldest universities that it is so highly regarded, especially by employers. Which is a shame because even I think KCL is overated.

thats exactly the point isnt it - somehow people think prestige is age and reputations develop as a result of how long ago the uni was established. exeter is too new to have that image, but it does parade around boasting its 150 year roots originally as a pottery college or some nonsense back when queen victoria was on the thrown :s-smilie: . interestingly, prestige can also mean illusion (I just read that in the dictionary). for me, 'prestige' is something of exceptionally high quality and value making it very desirable and thus difficult to get. It's difficult to call a university with 20,000 students prestigious because 20,000 people have a place! phd funding can be prestigious because 1000's apply for 10 scholarships. if so many people have it, then the prestige seems to fade away.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 21
It really depends on which department and who you're comparing to. You'll know yourself just by your own knowledge that it'll be below LSE Oxbridge UCL etc. I would put it below Durham personally but you should know the general range it's in. You can also tell by the grades they ask. If they ask for AAB-ABB, then that's generally how hard it is in to get to, you need to be a student capable of getting those grades to apply, ergo, it would be roughly on par (of the students there) with other unis that ask those.
Changeling
You can also tell by the grades they ask. If they ask for AAB-ABB, then that's generally how hard it is in to get to, you need to be a student capable of getting those grades to apply, ergo, it would be roughly on par (of the students there) with other unis that ask those.

Although I've talked to loads of people who didn't get the grades, some by quite a lot, and still got in. They were for uncompetitive courses like languages and physics though.
Reply 23
kellywood_5
Although I've talked to loads of people who didn't get the grades, some by quite a lot, and still got in. They were for uncompetitive courses like languages and physics though.

As you say, it depends so much on the course - one of my friends was planning on coming to Exeter for a geography course, but dropped one grade and wasn't allowed in...she's now at Leicester...
Angelil
As you say, it depends so much on the course - one of my friends was planning on coming to Exeter for a geography course, but dropped one grade and wasn't allowed in...she's now at Leicester...

:eek: Harsh! I didn't think geography was particularly competitive. On the languages front, I know a girl who was offered ABB and got BBB who got in and another girl who was offered BBB and got BBC who got in. In both cases, the dropped grade was in French! I've talked to a couple of physics students who missed their grades as well.
Reply 25
Yeouch. I have to say I have wondered about the 'quality control' (as it were) of the Exeter languages department. I ran conversation classes for FrenchSoc last year and one of the girls in one of the group was *studying* French at Exeter (whereas I'm not) and despite my not being fluent in French, not being French and not having taken French beyond A Level, my French was better than hers was. Equally, when I was in my first year I knew a girl who was in her second year then - who insisted on pronouncing 'chevaux' as 'cheveux' :eek: Although she's done her year abroad now so I expect she's better!
Angelil
Yeouch. I have to say I have wondered about the 'quality control' (as it were) of the Exeter languages department. I ran conversation classes for FrenchSoc last year and one of the girls in one of the group was *studying* French at Exeter (whereas I'm not) and despite my not being fluent in French, not being French and not having taken French beyond A Level, my French was better than hers was. Equally, when I was in my first year I knew a girl who was in her second year then - who insisted on pronouncing 'chevaux' as 'cheveux' :eek: Although she's done her year abroad now so I expect she's better!

:eek: Most people are good at French but, without meaning to sound like a snob, I did wonder why a uni like Exeter, which is fairly decent, would accept people with a C at A-level for a languages degree. In a lot of cases, people with grades like that managed to do well at AS after several resits, but then did rubbish at A2. The entry requirements are a bit misleading really. I assumed that because the typical offer is ABB with an A in French, everyone would have got an A, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. I can understand people with Bs getting in, but to me, a C just seems too low.
Reply 27
Nope, you're not being a snob, Kelly. I totally agree with you. Or maybe that just means we're both snobs. Ah well :biggrin:
Reply 28
If I get an offer from Exeter and manage to get there I'd feel really privileged, especially as it's full of Oxbridge rejects. :biggrin:
^^^ lol - there certainly is a cultural specificity at exeter. i remember 3 years ago exeter, oxford brookes and oxford were slated big time for not letting in more working class students.
Angelil
Nope, you're not being a snob, Kelly. I totally agree with you. Or maybe that just means we're both snobs. Ah well :biggrin:

Oxbridge rejects are supposed to be snobs, aren't they? :p:
Reply 31
Yep. Welcome to the gang :biggrin:
I got an offer :biggrin: Conditional when it should be unconditional but hopefully that will change soon :smile:
Reply 33
This is a bit dated now but it's certainly a first division university.
Reply 34
love2learn7
god that table is so hidious- UMIST 2nd and Manchester 4th by employers- yeh right ok.

It's a bit old, obviously, as it considers UMIST and Manchester as separate entities.
Reply 35
Apparently Manchester is really really good.
supercat
Apparently Manchester is really really good.

:ditto: There's been quite a bit of media coverage recently about how it's 'up and coming' and aiming to rival Oxbridge. I definitely wouldn't put it 4th at the moment though.
Reply 37
employers rank KCL at 27, UCL at 21, LSE at 23........ wierd
why wouldnt manchester rival london and oxbridge?
Reply 39
why wouldnt manchester rival london and oxbridge?

Never said anything about Manchester because I think its very good and I've applied there. I'm concerned at how heriot-watt university (18), Portsmouth (29) and Nottingham trent (31) Is on par with London.

Latest

Trending

Trending