The Student Room Group

My biology teacher discriminates against higher level students

I am the only person in my class doing the Higher level gcse double science and my biology teacher is really lousy and crap. She keeps teaching me the foundation material insteady of the higher level so i decided to talk to her today. She replied " I can't work miracles". Im not expecting her to, i just want to get a grade A or A * at the end of the yearand whenever i talk to her she just says that it is not worth me doing the higher paper when i no that i am more than capable of getting a A at least. It's really annoying because i'm not learning anything and what she does teach i already know and she teaches it really slowly. E.g today we were learning about the thorax and it took me 5 minutes to put the labels on and it took 1hr for the rest of the class. Ive tried talking to the head of science but he ignores me and ive considered teaching the module to myself but its not working. What shall i do now?
What set are you in? It doesn't sound like a top set if you're the only one doing higher, so why don't you talk to the head of science again and ask to be moved up because you're finding the work in your set too easy and the pace too slow? Apart from that, there's nothing else you can do apart from try harder to teach yourself from a higher level textbook or revision guide, or perhaps ask yhour teacher or another science teacher you get on well with if they'd be willing to give you extra lessons after school to cover the higher tier material. From your teacher's point of view, if she's got say 29 students doing foundation and only one doing higher, you can't expect her to tailor her lessons specifically for you. If she did that, 29 students would find the work too hard and the pace too fast. It's unfortunate, but you're in the extreme minority, so you just have to put up with it.
My school didn't have sets either... The only thing which I can suggest is learn the stuff yourself. Get a decent textbook/revision book (examboard specific would be best) and download the syllabus and go through the stuff which has been missed.
Reply 3
I can kind of relate to this as when I did my science SAT we were in mixed ability groups. My class was so badly behaved that the teacher could barely teach anything. However you can teach yourself GCSE science if you put your mind to it. Follow avsbabes advice and also get some practice papers. If you decide to continue on to A level the classes will be much better.
Reply 4
learn it yourself
just memorise it and write it all out thats all it takes to get an a*
Take my advice - learn it yourself at home. That's what I did because the teaching was really poor at my school and I got A*s. You can afford to do it at gcse.
Reply 6
Get a tutor if teaching urself isn't right.

Bluddy hell if i told my mum our school was like that, she'd make me change schools. suppose that's why im in my school now^^ ur situation is absolutley shocking, almost inconceivable for me... =S
Reply 7
i love biology
I am the only person in my class doing the Higher level gcse double science and my biology teacher is really lousy and crap. She keeps teaching me the foundation material insteady of the higher level so i decided to talk to her today. She replied " I can't work miracles". Im not expecting her to, i just want to get a grade A or A * at the end of the yearand whenever i talk to her she just says that it is not worth me doing the higher paper when i no that i am more than capable of getting a A at least. It's really annoying because i'm not learning anything and what she does teach i already know and she teaches it really slowly. E.g today we were learning about the thorax and it took me 5 minutes to put the labels on and it took 1hr for the rest of the class. Ive tried talking to the head of science but he ignores me and ive considered teaching the module to myself but its not working. What shall i do now?

You should buy a decent revision book (specific for your exam) and sit many past papers.
Reply 8
Get your parents to write a letter in, parental power nearly always works :smile: I can understand if you don't want to do all the higher work yourself, that would be difficult :hugs:
Reply 9
My mum talked to the head of science but he just replied "It would be difficult". The situation is really annoying because I have the best chemistry teacher in the whole school and my physics teacher is good aswell - it's just biology. Thanks for the advice - i'll take it on board.
What if you said you were willing to stay after school for an hour, half an hour a week or something to go through the extra with your teacher?
The school has a responsibility to teach you - and they're stupid if they want to turn down another A* grade for the old league tables (might want to use that in argument - being an obnoxious but cynical student can have its advantages..)
scribble_girl
and they're stupid if they want to turn down another A* grade for the old league tables

I doubt that would help, to be honest. All that counts as far as league tables are concerned is the percentage of pupils who get 5 A*-C grades; it doesn't matter whether the grades are A*s or Cs, which is why most comprehensives concentrate far more on making sure everyone will get at least a C than they do on pushing the top pupils to get an A*.
Send a letter to the school governors, that will make them do something.
The same thing happened for me, though because I only knew the foundation information I only got a D, where I know if I was taught the right material I could have got much higher.
GCSE Double Science is SOOO Easy that you dont need the stupid teachers help, i didn't

Buy the CGP revision guides, they have one out for every exam board i think (I Had AQA)- Memorise it, which isnt that hard as its nice and colourful lol... then claim ur AA or A*A* on results day...how well have u done on the modules though cause they impact on whether u have a chance of gettin A or A* at the end... im guessing since ur doing higher u did pretty well but the exam is only 50% so u need to have a strong module mark and coursework to make it a sure thing. It turned out that i only needed 41/90!!! on each paper to get A*A*s..

Its important that you try to become more independent, its likely that you will come across loads of teacher like that (My teacher drilled it into us on a weekly basis that if we got BB he would be shocked).. however dont let that get u down. There is soooo much on the internet and great sites like this, so u can do it on your own (especially for GCSE).

So, to conclude, purchase a CGP Revision Guide NOW ( I got one two weeks before the exam) but if you get one now and use it then youll be laughing lol. You will find, like i did, that the questions on the exam become dissapointingly EASY!!!

PS: There no hope u finding it in a store (not even Smiths) youll have to get it online, check amazon its quite cheap and a guranteed top grade
PS/2: The AQA website has so many practice exams so make use of them and study the markschemes so you can tailor your answers. i.e dont waffle just nice sentences which include the keywords you anticipate to be in the markschemes.

GOOOD LUCK
Thanks
desmondmac
how well have u done on the modules though cause they impact on whether u have a chance of gettin A or A* at the end... im guessing since ur doing higher u did pretty well but the exam is only 50% so u need to have a strong module mark and coursework to make it a sure thing. It turned out that i only needed 41/90!!! on each paper to get A*A*s..

I have done 8 module tests but i am awaiting 2 results. On the others i got 1 A* 4As (it's annoying because all of my A grades are 17/20 and 18/20 is an A*) and 1 C (C was in biology but im resitting that test)

Latest

Trending

Trending