The Student Room Group

What's the point in making friends at uni?

Basically, you meet people in primary school and are the bestest of friends. Then you go to different secondary schools and meet new people and become friends with another lot. Then you go college and say "we'll keep in touch" but gradually never do. Then you go to uni and make friends and then barely see them after that because they originally live 300 miles away or whatever...and then you're all alone again until you meet some other people...

I just feel like what is the point anymore? I know some people are fortunate to stick with their pals throughout their life, no matter where they are in the world, but for some it's just so hard, even if you put effort into staying together. This has affected me to the point where I'm just going "meh" to people, not really bothering making a connection because soon it will inevitably be over :frown: I know it's more about the here and now, but I've just been reflecting lately and I find it sad (boo-hoo sad) that our time is brief, more brief than I thought, and in the end you end up alone (not necessarily lonely). It just makes it feel as if I'm making "friends" for my own selfish reasons, so that I can get through a certain amount of years without seeming like a complete loner.

Can anyone else relate? How have you managed to find friends that are life long? Every person/friend I meet I intend for it to last until I die, but maybe that's the wrong way to go about it? Maybe I'm not connecting enough for the "bond" to last? Does convenience help a lot, like living quite close? Thanks guys.
Reply 1
yeah you are right. You only make friends with the people around you. Who can be bothered to travel 20 miles to see a uni friend.
I didn't make any friends at uni couldn't be bothered to put the effort in
Because having friends at uni makes it more fun and more enjoyable.

You could equally ask why bother making friends at all as you are only going to die one day.
I feel the same, tbh. I've become very attached to people before but then its boiled down to nothing from moving away from the school. For me its the fear of forming a bond with somebody and then losing them.
Reply 5
so u can cheat off them

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is a terrifying thread OP, truly terrifying. I feel sorry for you guys.
No point making friends at university. Just work hard and focus on passing your exams. You don't want to be distracted from studying by your friends.
Reply 8
Maybe you'll make life-long friends at uni, maybe you won't, but as someone who spent much of his own uni experience with absolutely no friends and had a rotten time feeling isolated, believe me, uni will almost certainly be a lot more enjoyable with friends to share and enjoy your time there with. University should be more than just passing exams.
(edited 9 years ago)
Three/Four years is a long time to not have any friends for, you'll get lonely. Some friends you'll keep in touch with, some you won't. That's life but it doesn't mean that you won't learn things from them and make some good memories.
Have a good time
Someone to live with in 2nd year
Advice on resources
And you can make it work. Eg ive made a good friend with a guy from Hong Kong and he'll probably go back but that won't be the end
Most adult friendships are temporary and short term, as soon as the thing that you have in common most disappears (job, university, living together, mutual friends etc) the friendship usually goes with it. It's got nothing to do with you, it happens to everyone.

I graduated last summer and left my long term job at the same time. I haven't spoken to the vast majority of my uni friends or work friends since then and I doubt I ever will again, however I do have a few lovely ones who are probably friends for life. My best friend lives 200 miles away and i've barely seen her in the last 2 years, but I still speak to her every week and we know every last detail of each others lives, because we've made the effort to keep in touch.

It's frustrating as hell, especially when everyone is off having fun and you're sat alone in your room, feeling like nobody cares about you. However it's just one of those things you'll have to accept. You make new friends and just keep the ones who matter, isn't it much better to have 2 close friends then 20 people who aren't that bothered?
Original post by sr90
Most adult friendships are temporary and short term, as soon as the thing that you have in common most disappears (job, university, living together, mutual friends etc) the friendship usually goes with it. It's got nothing to do with you, it happens to everyone.

I graduated last summer and left my long term job at the same time. I haven't spoken to the vast majority of my uni friends or work friends since then and I doubt I ever will again, however I do have a few lovely ones who are probably friends for life. My best friend lives 200 miles away and i've barely seen her in the last 2 years, but I still speak to her every week and we know every last detail of each others lives, because we've made the effort to keep in touch.

It's frustrating as hell, especially when everyone is off having fun and you're sat alone in your room, feeling like nobody cares about you. However it's just one of those things you'll have to accept. You make new friends and just keep the ones who matter, isn't it much better to have 2 close friends then 20 people who aren't that bothered?

Maybe you can stop being a mod, go outside and make new friends in your town instead of being alone in your room sr90. Not rocket science you only have yourself to blame
To be honest I am at logger heads with my parents over this point currently, because I don't plan to drink or go out partying at all. I'll join one or two societies and do them once a week but the rest of the time I'm there for the course.
Reply 14
Original post by Anonymous
To be honest I am at logger heads with my parents over this point currently, because I don't plan to drink or go out partying at all. I'll join one or two societies and do them once a week but the rest of the time I'm there for the course.

Why wont you go out and drink at all? That's what most people do for fun and to make friends, while still excelling in their course
Original post by JD8897
Why wont you go out and drink at all? That's what most people do for fun and to make friends, while still excelling in their course

I'm teetotal, it's not a judgement on others but I grew up in a dry house. Don't see for me personally the enjoyment in it. I intend to stay teetotal.
Original post by Anonymous
Basically, you meet people in primary school and are the bestest of friends. Then you go to different secondary schools and meet new people and become friends with another lot. Then you go college and say "we'll keep in touch" but gradually never do. Then you go to uni and make friends and then barely see them after that because they originally live 300 miles away or whatever...and then you're all alone again until you meet some other people...

I just feel like what is the point anymore? I know some people are fortunate to stick with their pals throughout their life, no matter where they are in the world, but for some it's just so hard, even if you put effort into staying together. This has affected me to the point where I'm just going "meh" to people, not really bothering making a connection because soon it will inevitably be over :frown: I know it's more about the here and now, but I've just been reflecting lately and I find it sad (boo-hoo sad) that our time is brief, more brief than I thought, and in the end you end up alone (not necessarily lonely). It just makes it feel as if I'm making "friends" for my own selfish reasons, so that I can get through a certain amount of years without seeming like a complete loner.

Can anyone else relate? How have you managed to find friends that are life long? Every person/friend I meet I intend for it to last until I die, but maybe that's the wrong way to go about it? Maybe I'm not connecting enough for the "bond" to last? Does convenience help a lot, like living quite close? Thanks guys.

So you have people to do stuff with whilst you're there, obviously.
Reply 17
So you have people to steal food off of obviously :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending