The Student Room Group

Braces again?

Long story short..

I had such bad teeth when I was younger! I had two pre-molars extracted and braces on both jaws and worse my retainers. 3 years later I went on a sporting trip so I left my braces at home just in case I lost them

THE IRONY to when I got home and my mum cleaned my room (literally, CHUCKED) everything out including the container my retainers were in. That was in August.

I turn 18 last week and was wondering if it is possible to get braces again on the NHS or to a reduced cost for both jaws?

(I believe) it won't take as long to get them back to the position they were previously considering how bad they were before braces and extractions and that only took a year.

and no... despite it being my Mum's fault, she has already said I have to pay for it (so any help would be good)
Reply 1
sorry, should be 'worn' my retainers on the first sentence and 'turned 18'
Has there been much movement in your teeth? If not you could consider getting a new set of retainers made. They won't do any movement, but will prevent your teeth from moving more. And to answer your question - the NHS won't provide new braces at a reduced cost. I would advise a trip to your dentist or orthodontist, they'll be able to give you all the options.
Reply 3
Original post by fuzzycloud
Has there been much movement in your teeth? If not you could consider getting a new set of retainers made. They won't do any movement, but will prevent your teeth from moving more. And to answer your question - the NHS won't provide new braces at a reduced cost. I would advise a trip to your dentist or orthodontist, they'll be able to give you all the options.

yes my bite has been changed :frown: I think I will have to do it, just concerned in paying £130 in paying for a consultation to be quoted a price I can't afford :frown: thank you anyway :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
yes my bite has been changed :frown: I think I will have to do it, just concerned in paying £130 in paying for a consultation to be quoted a price I can't afford :frown: thank you anyway :smile:

Visit an NHS dentist, they shouldn't charge £130 for a consultation. That'll be a private practitioner. Lots of orthodontists offer free consultations - do a quick google search and I'm sure you'll find some in your area.

Quick Reply

Latest