The Student Room Group

US Presidential Election 2016 official thread

Scroll to see replies

I am glad UK election campaigns are not as long.
Original post by Gabrielxucram
being active in American Politics, I am very content to see this thread here on TSR. yet, please lets research policy before listening to everything CNN or th s you (they are know for not being reliable sources in politics). Read up a little on US history and a bit on the candidates and then make a wise decision. you will notice that most issues in US politics are seen as not very contentious for any college educated european, but that how it works over here due to heavy religious influence in the country.

also vote Bernie Sander 2016 :biggrin:

Has Bernie formally announced that he's running for POTUS???? I remember him on Meet the Press a while back explaining that he's thinking about running, but was unsure which party affiliation he'd choose. Martin O'Malley, the former governor of Maryland, has been acting like he's going to run on the Dems side, with his Elizabeth Warren-esque rhetoric.
Original post by kurofune
Has Bernie formally announced that he's running for POTUS???? I remember him on Meet the Press a while back explaining that he's thinking about running, but was unsure which party affiliation he'd choose. Martin O'Malley, the former governor of Maryland, has been acting like he's going to run on the Dems side, with his Elizabeth Warren-esque rhetoric.

Bernie hasnt announced and he is still unsure. I would wish he could run as an independent. That and his sympathy to social-democracies are what make him my favourite candidate. Unfortunately, I don't think any candidates can snap the Dem nomination from Clinton even though I'm sure there are better candidates.

It really sucks that it will probably go down to Clinton v Bush. The US is becoming almost like York and Lancaster in the UK - two families running the country for a long time (Obama being the exception obviously).

You can also sign a petition on the net for Bernie to run for President. Its worth it if you enjoy social-democracies or are just tired Dem/Rep bs that doesn't the country anywhere.
Ronald Reagan was 69 when he became POTUS. Hillary is currently 67. Why is it okay for Ronald to be old, but not Hillary?

Obama was in the Senate when he announced his candidacy. George Bush was the Governor of Texas. Bill was the Governor of Texas. Almost all of America's recent Presidents have served political office. Given how polarized Congress is, would someone with NO political experience be capable to maneuver the legislative branch's antics?

FYI, Hillary's tenure as Secretary of State was during the first half of Obama's Presidency. Hillary has already been blamed for a vast majority of foreign policy mishaps. People that will blame a Democratic successor (Fox and friends) to Obama will blame that person, regardless of if it's Hillary or not.

So once again, do you have actual criticism of Hillary? Because your erroneously broad statement doesn't have substance.

Are you R or D? Do you think Hillary is actually a meddling woman? She deserves to be the next US president? Why?
Reply 44
Reagan was older. People would never use the 'too old' argument against a man. Let's not bring the archaic hillbilly sexism to this thread, please.

Where did I say anything against her gender? Am I allowed to criticise her without being called sexist?
I also found that McCain had no chance against Obama 'coolness".

LOL. I'm very chill, thanks. Maybe you should try to criticize leaders based on their policy mistakes and not their age. Besides, if you truly believe what you say, then you should be able to back it up with substance-that's the point of differing opinions.

How has age changed since Reagan's election? More importantly, why is age bad? If we were to follow your logic of younger is better, than shouldn't Ted Cruz be president?

I never said 'the younger the better', I said she will be 'too old' compared to Obama and her opponents. She was born in the 1940's.

Im sorry-can you explain to me why the role of governor is not a governmental job? Does that mean issues like balancing a state's budget, passing legislation that affects the state (marijuana legalization, gay marriage, state welfare programs) are just a volunteer's job?

I meant "the federal government", a federal minister is much more exposed in the national news than a senator or a governor.

Here's the important part-what did you dislike about Hillary's policies in the Middle East? Name me a specific act she committed that you dislike. So should Democrats somehow conjure a candidate that is completely devoid of any flaws? I'm not trying to diss you or anything-but you seem to be following a completely different line of logic from the average American political commentator.

I hope you know that American campaigns are not led on rational arguments. The Republicans will attack her on the mess in Libya and Syria.
I also found the USA apathetic when the Syrian Revolution (in 2011) broke up, whilst they should have armed the Syrian opposition immediately. There wasn't any islamist at that moment.
Wish Elizabeth Warren was running.
Reply 46
Original post by Jibola240
Wish Elizabeth Warren was running.

I'd say she was too far left to run.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Josb
Where did I say anything against her gender? Am I allowed to criticise her without being called sexist?
I also found that McCain had no chance against Obama 'coolness".

I never said 'the younger the better', I said she will be 'too old' compared to Obama and her opponents. She was born in the 1940's.

I meant "the federal government", a federal minister is much more exposed in the national news than a senator or a governor.

I hope you know that American campaigns are not led on rational arguments. The Republicans will attack her on the mess in Libya and Syria.
I also found the USA apathetic when the Syrian Revolution (in 2011) broke up, whilst they should have armed the Syrian opposition immediately. There wasn't any islamist at that moment.

You are indeed allowed to criticise her without being called sexist if you use a non-sexist argument. That was not the case.

So coolness has something to do with age now? See? It is a flawed argument. I think charisma is the word you were looking for.
Original post by Aj12

Posted from TSR Mobile

That could stop her from getting the nomination, but that won't stop her from running. As a matter of fact, most of my teachers are excited about her running.
Reply 49
You are indeed allowed to criticise her without being called sexist if you use a non-sexist argument. That was not the case.

So coolness has something to do with age now? See? It is a flawed argument. I think charisma is the word you were looking for.

Tell me where I was sexist. I'm curious.

Yes it's easier to be cool when you're younger. Charisma is ageless.
Original post by Josb
Tell me where I was sexist. I'm curious.

Yes it's easier to be cool when you're younger. Charisma is ageless.

So it's easier to be cool shen you're younger but charisma is ageless? How so? doesn't that sound contradictory? Many politicians are old and charismatic and few people criticised them.

The fact that the 'too old' argument is constantly applied to Hillary is what is sexist. It shouldn't be a valid argument for either genders, but it is definitely more used for women.

If you believe and apply the too old argument equally for both genders, then it is not sexist (yet I believe it's not a good argument). I apologise if it sounded insulting but I live in America where this argument is used constantly in a sexist manner.
Original post by Aj12
I think the Republicans do have moderates, I think they get thrown so far to the Right by candidates like Cruz and Bachmann that no one believes they are moderate. The Republican primaries seem to be more damaging to any candidate than anything the democrats do.

This. Romney himself was actually half decent but he had to go so far right to get the nomination that it's no shock at all the swing voters stayed with Obama.
Original post by barnetlad
I am glad UK election campaigns are not as long.

Interestingly that could change this election if Cameron remains PM. With the fixed terms parliament act not being repealed in any coalition (it would be stupid for the smaller parties to agree) and Cameron saying he will serve every day of this term but not a third, that means more than likely that summer 19 would have to see the leadership election in the style of the US with the leader in waiting running the campaign while Cameron finishes his term as PM.
Original post by Aj12

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which is a shame. In my view, she is what the US need: a genuine left wing candidate(although Obama is quite left wing).
Reply 54
So it's easier to be cool shen you're younger but charisma is ageless? How so? doesn't that sound contradictory? Many politicians are old and charismatic and few people criticised them.

The fact that the 'too old' argument is constantly applied to Hillary is what is sexist. It shouldn't be a valid argument for either genders, but it is definitely more used for women.

If you believe and apply the too old argument equally for both genders, then it is not sexist (yet I believe it's not a good argument). I apologise if it sounded insulting but I live in America where this argument is used constantly in a sexist manner.

I said earlier that McCain was too old and would say the same about anybody above 65 who runs for presidency.

Anyway, I principally dislike Hillary - and Bush n°3 - for being there for too long. They look like a aristocracy. I hope some younger and "new" candidates will beat them in the primaries.
Original post by Josb
I said earlier that McCain was too old and would say the same about anybody above 65 who runs for presidency.

Anyway, I principally dislike Hillary - and Bush n°3 - for being there for too long. They look like a aristocracy. I hope some younger and "new" candidates will beat them in the primaries.

I agree! It's York and Lancaster. America is now an oligarchy masked as a democracy (when it is officially a republic).
I bet Walker will get the nomination, but such a crowded field means the result is very unpredictable.

If not Walker than Jeb, a scenario I'm personally hoping for - nothing will sink the Republicans chances for 2016 more than the prospect of another Bush. Hardline Conservatives hate it, Independents will run screaming, it confines the vote right off the bat.

I can't see the Republicans churning out a ticket that appears more credible on the economy than Romney/Ryan.

That being said, Clinton is more vulnerable to scandals than Obama ever was. I think she will get the nomination without a doubt though.
Original post by Josb

It is such an individual thing though - some people will live right into their nineties and be physically and intellectually able and 'with it' while others won't before 65.
That could stop her from getting the nomination, but that won't stop her from running. As a matter of fact, most of my teachers are excited about her running.

She's said (without exaggeration) at least 100 times that she is 100% not running or even considering running for President.

Sounds to me that she's not interested (you don't close doors like that unless you're sure). It would have been easy for her to say 'most likely not' or 'maybe'. Why didn't she?

That being said, she could be VP pick, so there's hope for your teachers yet.
Original post by Rakas21
Interestingly that could change this election if Cameron remains PM. With the fixed terms parliament act not being repealed in any coalition (it would be stupid for the smaller parties to agree) and Cameron saying he will serve every day of this term but not a third, that means more than likely that summer 19 would have to see the leadership election in the style of the US with the leader in waiting running the campaign while Cameron finishes his term as PM.

Call me crazy but I don't see the Conservatives having a full five years with a minority govt or a continuing Lib Dem coalition. There would be a vote of no confidence for early election before then.

I think they may get the most seats, and will probably get close to Labour's seats (slightly above or below). Really cannot see a majority in sight for them to be honest.

(That being said, can't see a Labour minority or SNP backed agreement lasting 5 years either. A Lib Dem coalition might work...)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending