The Student Room Group

US Presidential Election 2016 official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jibola240
Which is a shame. In my view, she is what the US need: a genuine left wing candidate(although Obama is quite left wing).

Obama and the words 'left wing'. Ha.

Sometimes i forget just how far right the US is.

In the US since 1980 i'd have voted..

Reagan
Reagan
Bush
Clinton
Clinton
Gore
Bush
Obama
Romney
(Bush if vs Clinton)

In the UK however i'm much more solidly Tory since 79..

Tory
Tory
Tory
Tory
Tory
Labour
Labour
Tory
(Tory)
Reply 61
Original post by Gabrielxucram
That could stop her from getting the nomination, but that won't stop her from running. As a matter of fact, most of my teachers are excited about her running.

Well she's said she won't run as far as I'm aware.

Which is a shame. In my view, she is what the US need: a genuine left wing candidate(although Obama is quite left wing).

I find it very difficult to consider obama left wing. Even on the us spectrum I'd say at the most center left. But then some republicans see him as a communist so....

Saw an interesting viewpoint on Warren that suggested, though she is not running, she could end up in the position of keeping clinton grounded to the left. She could certainly be very damaging to her if Warren came out against clinton.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So she's shortly going to leave the starting blocks - Hilary Rodham Clinton, wife of the former two-term President, Bill Clinton, is about to announce she is running for the Democrat ticket.
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/apr/10/exclusive-hillary-clinton-to-launch-presidential-campaign-sunday-en-route-to-iowa-source

I'm sure she will win the nomination and there is a solid chance she will become President, as the Republicans will probably settle for Jeb Bush and he comes with plenty of baggage and is not particularly convincing to moderate voters.

So the US will probably have their first woman President to follow their first black President. It will be interesting to see how liberal she is in office. Bill Clinton promised much to the moderate left, but in reality he was a neoliberal driven by big corporate and banking agendas and whilst the right hated him, their hate was misplaced and ridiculous.

Sadly, I suspect Hilary will run things in much the same way, with some minor modifications. It appears that the US system is now so firmly in the pockets of the global multinationals and their political tools, that no slack is permitted in the system to represent the interests of the people, the planet or rational policies not to do with profiteering. :sad:
Reply 63
Clinton is a nut. How can she be the best option for a country the size of the US? Serious brain drain.
Original post by whorace
Clinton is a nut. How can she be the best option for a country the size of the US? Serious brain drain.

I don't think she's a nut - she's a clever woman. I just don't think she's much of a real liberal, but that's different. There's no lack of brains in her.
Reply 65
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I don't think she's a nut - she's a clever woman. I just don't think she's much of a real liberal, but that's different. There's no lack of brains in her.

Shes certainly a hawk on defence though. If she gains power we will see a much more muscular foreign policy than obama's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I doubt she will be that impressive in the same way Obama was just more of the same. But it would be good to go from first black president to then follow up with first female president. Should annoy some people :tongue:
Reply 67
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I doubt she will be that impressive in the same way Obama was just more of the same. But it would be good to go from first black president to then follow up with first female president. Should annoy some people :tongue:

You mean 80% of the US

The US is the epitome of quantity over quality, all numbers no class
Hilary has my support. I think she'll be the strongest Democrat candidate.
Reply 69
Original post by Reluire
Hilary has my support. I think she'll be the strongest Democrat candidate.

Do you know much about her domestic agenda?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
Original post by Fullofsurprises

So the US will probably have their first woman President to follow their first black President. It will be interesting to see how liberal she is in office. Bill Clinton promised much to the moderate left, but in reality he was a neoliberal driven by big corporate and banking agendas and whilst the right hated him, their hate was misplaced and ridiculous.

What? :confused:
Original post by Aj12
Do you know much about her domestic agenda?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not a huge amount. But I know she's pretty liberal, supports equal rights for all people etc. I suspect she's pretty similar to Obama to be honest. Do you know much? She was a good Secretary of State as far as I know.
Ted Cruz and Rand Paul will surely divide the vote for the right of the party?
Original post by Fawkesgirl33
Ted Cruz and Rand Paul will surely divide the vote for the right of the party?

One of them will most likely drop out for that reason. Clinton did it in 2012 when Obama was doing better in the polls than she was. She then endorsed him, thus concentrating the Democratic vote again.
Original post by Rakas21
Obama and the words 'left wing'. Ha.

Sometimes i forget just how far right the US is.

In the US since 1980 i'd have voted..

Reagan
Reagan
Bush
Clinton
Clinton
Gore
Bush
Obama
Romney
(Bush if vs Clinton)

In the UK however i'm much more solidly Tory since 79..

Tory
Tory
Tory
Tory
Tory
Labour
Labour
Tory
(Tory)

Original post by Aj12
Well she's said she won't run as far as I'm aware.

I find it very difficult to consider obama left wing. Even on the us spectrum I'd say at the most center left. But then some republicans see him as a communist so....

Saw an interesting viewpoint on Warren that suggested, though she is not running, she could end up in the position of keeping clinton grounded to the left. She could certainly be very damaging to her if Warren came out against clinton.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's no Bernie Sanders, but I'd still stand by the fact that he's undeniably left wing(US standards), some of his views: pro gay marriage, believes in some form of gun control, believes women have the right to abortion, relatively lax views on drug laws, champions a strong welfare system, is for open immigration policy, I'd say he believes in universal healthcare, but obama care was the best he could do. I think he's more left wing than he gives off, but moderates some of his views to appeal to a broader audience.
Original post by Reluire
One of them will most likely drop out for that reason. Clinton did it in 2012 when Obama was doing better in the polls than she was. She then endorsed him, thus concentrating the Democratic vote again.

I'm thinking Paul is more likely to drop out, given Cruz's fundraising.
Stand with Rand!
Reply 77
He's no Bernie Sanders, but I'd still stand by the fact that he's undeniably left wing(US standards), some of his views: pro gay marriage, believes in some form of gun control, believes women have the right to abortion, relatively lax views on drug laws, champions a strong welfare system, is for open immigration policy, I'd say he believes in universal healthcare, but obama care was the best he could do. I think he's more left wing than he gives off, but moderates some of his views to appeal to a broader audience.

As a British person I find it bizarre that Americans have so much trouble with some of these views.
Original post by Reluire
Not a huge amount. But I know she's pretty liberal, supports equal rights for all people etc. I suspect she's pretty similar to Obama to be honest. Do you know much? She was a good Secretary of State as far as I know.

Obama was widely seen as to the left of her when he was elected as the Democratic nominee - that was during the depths of the financial crisis and the mass of Democrat activists (rightly imo) saw her as cast in the same neoliberal guise as her husband.

Obama in office was probably no different though to how she would have been. She was critiqued a lot by both left and right as secretary of state over Benghazi, although it probably wasn't her fault. She stood down voluntarily, but there is little doubt that Obama and she were at loggerheads on some key issues and he wanted someone new for his second term.
Original post by Aj12
As a British person I find it bizarre that Americans have so much trouble with some of these views.

You and me both. I think gay marriage and abortion rights are things most Americans are okay with though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending