The Student Room Group

US Presidential Election 2016 official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by whorace
Clinton is a nut. How can she be the best option for a country the size of the US? Serious brain drain.

Lol. I don't worry about that. Hillary will fail. She failed many times. Both in her family and in her work . US doesn't need her in this current situation. She should spend the rest of her life thinking about how to help kids around the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Clinton's officially running.

A brief summary of her political career thus far:

BBC News

Tried to reform US healthcare during husband Bill's first term as president (1993-1997) but her plan never reached a vote in Congress

Stood by her husband when his affair with White House intern Monica Lewinsky was exposed, 1997-98

Elected as Democratic senator for New York, 2000

Voted in favour of the Iraq war in 2003 but later distanced herself from the war

Ran for the Democratic nomination in 2008 but conceded in favour of Barack Obama

Served as US secretary of state 2009-2013

Embroiled in controversy over the attack on a US consulate in Benghazi, Libya in 2012

Investigated by the State Department for her use of a private email server, circumventing legal requirements

Reply 82
Original post by Reluire
Clinton's officially running.

A brief summary of her political career thus far:

I know she's the favorite but part of me feels she'll trip up along the campaign.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aj12
I know she's the favorite but part of me feels she'll trip up along the campaign.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure how well received she is with the American population to be honest. I think her fate will depend on who becomes the Republican Party's main candidate. Something tells me it'll be Jeb Bush.
Original post by Aj12

Posted from TSR Mobile

She'll win (as will Bush), they both a massive advantage in terms of their families ties to the corporate sector giving them preferential funding.
Reply 85
Original post by Rakas21
She'll win (as will Bush), they both a massive advantage in terms of their families ties to the corporate sector giving them preferential funding.

Indeed. The republicans are going to throw everything and the kitchen sink at her though. It'll be a bruising, nasty campaign. The attack ads have been rolling before she even announced.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
The democratic nominee is either gonna be Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders, but Hillary is at an advantage as she perfected the art of performing oral on donors to an extent even many Republicans even envy.

On the other hand the Republican nominee is gonna be Rand Paul or Jeb Bush, but my instinct tells me Rand Paul with maybe Marco Rubio endorsing him as VP in order to get the Latino vote and run a proper puplist campaign. I highly doubt Bush will get it, let alone win.

Overall I think if Rand Paul gets it, the Republicans are likely to win this one. Hillary and the democrats despite being a presidential party are losing touch with the electorate as a result of Obamas weak game of politics. Unless a crazy tea partier like Ted Cruz gets it, the democrats will have a tough race this time.
Original post by Jemy
The democratic nominee is either gonna be Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders, but Hillary is at an advantage as she perfected the art of performing oral on donors to an extent even many Republicans even envy.

On the other hand the Republican nominee is gonna be Rand Paul or Jeb Bush, but my instinct tells me Rand Paul with maybe Marco Rubio endorsing him as VP in order to get the Latino vote and run a proper puplist campaign. I highly doubt Bush will get it, let alone win.

Overall I think if Rand Paul gets it, the Republicans are likely to win this one. Hillary and the democrats despite being a presidential party are losing touch with the electorate as a result of Obamas weak game of politics. Unless a crazy tea partier like Ted Cruz gets it, the democrats will have a tough race this time.

Are you a libertarian? It's incredibly unlikely that Rand Paul will get the ticket and if he did he wouldn't have a prayer of being elected, he's a nut. Do you seriously think that the massive power of corporate Republican donations (in the US, dollars are people too! :lol:) is going to fall in line behind a whackjob like Paul?

On the other hand, maybe things are even worse in the funny farm than we think. :rolleyes:
Reply 88
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Are you a libertarian? It's incredibly unlikely that Rand Paul will get the ticket and if he did he wouldn't have a prayer of being elected, he's a nut. Do you seriously think that the massive power of corporate Republican donations (in the US, dollars are people too! :lol:) is going to fall in line behind a whackjob like Paul?

On the other hand, maybe things are even worse in the funny farm than we think. :rolleyes:

I am personally indeed a libertarian, but I based my judgement on my observation of American politics. If I had to pick my ideal candidate I would vote Elizabeth Warren or abernie Sanders and not Rand Paul.

And trust me his chances are just as likely as Jeb Bush to get the ticket. The Republicans know that they have to put a rational populist kind of guy in the field in order to have a shot as Obama's success has shown, it seems to work. As for the Republican donors, they won't have as an hard time with Rand as Cruz (who thinks the UN wants to place us in hobbit holes) because he is libertarian so he will shout free markets all over the place and even if not they will bend him to their will as all presidential candidates are eventually, including democrats (but they are paid to act weak in the role play)

In the end I think this election will either be a close one due to false puplism or one in which people struggle to go to the ballot boxes in order to choose the lesser of two evils.
I know Obama's hands have been tied to a large extent by the Bush legacy when it comes to international crises but somehow he has appeared weak and ineffectual in the middle east. Maybe it is a good thing they have not intervened on the ground in Sryia/Iraq and/or bombed Iran. However, to me, he has never had the sort of stature that George Bush Snr. or Clinton had.

I'm just wondering who would be the best choice of president to take on ISIS and deal with emerging threats from China etc.
None of them.... hillary clinton is a warmongering bitch and obama is no better...

America is just a police state, the lesser of evils out there running for election is Rand paul, he's not as corrupt and atleast Rand has some libertarian values and actually stands for the constitution unlike Hillary and Obama...

But he's not going to win... It's obvious that Hillary clinton is going to win, she's gonna play the feminist card just like obama played the race card...

Obama really ****ed up...Passing the NDAA.. then doing his ****ty obama care, and tried to drag us into war with Syria!.. you remember that? when Russian warships and American warships were all on the coast of Syria? Obama didn't need congress to approve war with syria... he was all trigger happy and ready to go.. he just didn't have the balls to do it on his own.. he needed other countries like france, germany, UK, other Nato countries.. Thank God our House of Parliament voted no, for the UK to go to war, the Prime minister actually needs the yes vote from house of parliament... that could have sparked WW3

I could write a whole essay on all the ****ty things Obama has done...

Edit= Rand Paul's father, Ron Paul would have been a better choice, but he is now too old to run for president... at least his son is running...I don't like the 2 party system in america at all....
(edited 8 years ago)
I'd rather have Sarah Palin
Original post by Thomas2
I'd rather have Sarah Palin

LOL sarah Palin... you must be trolling, good day sir...
Original post by Bustamove
LOL sarah Palin... you must be trolling, good day sir...

Joking, not trolling...

Actually, I want Jeb Bush...

Spoiler

Original post by Thomas2
Joking, not trolling...

Actually, I want Jeb Bush...

Sadly it might come to that but I'm a terrorist so no matter the president I'm ready :lockstock:
... Bernie Sander.

He won't win though, sadly.
Rand Paul.
Me I would have this country working like it was about 20 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Probably Hilary Clinton would be good. There aren't any proper Republican nominees that seem presidential. Rand Paul doesn't have the support of the establishment nor old people, he could never win.

Quick Reply

Latest