US Presidential Election 2016 official thread

This poll is closed

. 0%
.0%
Total votes: 0
post removed
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Republican Senator Ted Cruz confirms US presidency bid.

He's the first Republican to announce his presidency bid, so it will be interesting to see what follows from here.
Reply 2
Original post by Reluire

He's the first Republican to announce his presidency bid, so it will be interesting to see what follows from here.

He's really far right if I'm not mistaken? I imagine he could do well in the primaries, forcing any moderates to the right, which tends to bugger them in the actual election
Original post by Aj12
He's really far right if I'm not mistaken? I imagine he could do well in the primaries, forcing any moderates to the right, which tends to bugger them in the actual election

The BBC are calling him the 'darling of the Tea Party', so yeah, I suspect he's pretty right-wing. Hopefully he's nothing like Rick Santorum or any of the other relatively successful far right-wing Republicans we've seen in the past.

Hilary Clinton will probably be the front runner for the Democrats, but it's less certain for the Republicans. Jeb Bush perhaps?
Reply 4
The democrats will badly struggle to replace Obama in this one. The energy and enthusiasm he brought to both 2008 and 2012 campaigns wont be there with Clinton (who will be nearly 70), I can't see her motivating young people or minorities the way Obama could, turnout will therefore be lower for the democrats.

If you remember in 08' Obama went to Germany and 250,000 people went to hear him speak, absolutely extraordinary for a guy to go to a foreign country and get that. Week after week in the US the guy was getting 100,000 people to hear him speak, 100,000 people in, Denver, Detroit everywhere in America, then he was the first person, beating LadyGaga and Bieber to 10 million twitter followers. In the cynical age of 21st century politics and how people view politicians normally, that's absolutely incredible.

Hilary is no Obama, the democrats are effectively attempting to replace possibly the greatest politician of all time (in terms of speeches, charisma, presentation etc), we saw what happened to democrats in the mid terms when Obama's name was off the ticket.

Many comments I'm reading in the NYT and Guardian suggest Obama will replace FDR as the greatest president of all time if gets the nuclear deal with Iran next week, the democrats are replacing a superstar effectively. The republicans will win this one as Obama is now off the ticket. The GOP wont increase their turnout, but the democrats will lose theirs in terms of young people and minorities.

Also I think there will be an anti-dynasty vote, Americans wont like the idea of another Bush/Clinton again in the white house, so if the Republicans avoid picking Bush and let the democrats pick Clinton, that will help them, Scott Walker looks like their best bet.

Both the Tories in the UK and Republicans are the natural part of government respectively in the US and the UK and are only put out of power when the left have a charismatic front man (e.g. JFK, Clinton, Obama, or Blair over here).
Reply 5
Original post by Reluire
The BBC are calling him the 'darling of the Tea Party', so yeah, I suspect he's pretty right-wing. Hopefully he's nothing like Rick Santorum or any of the other relatively successful far right-wing Republicans we've seen in the past.

Hilary Clinton will probably be the front runner for the Democrats, but it's less certain for the Republicans. Jeb Bush perhaps?

Clinton has a lot hanging around her neck, a lot of scandals and she may have some health issues. I'd be interested to see if there could be an insurgent candidate among the democrats.

My money is on Jeb Bush or Rubio right now. Chris Christie gets mentioned a lot but Romney tried to vet him for VP and a lot of dodgy things came out. I don't think the man could survive a presidential campaign once he gets put under scrutiny.
Ted Cruz....

No abortions (including rape of course, I imagine like others of his he believes if a woman is truly raped she cannot get pregnant (Todd Akin)).

No gay marriage of course, though not making it illegal yet surprisingly.

Contraception will mostly be out, condoms still in but basically any pills he brands as "causing abortions of babies" regardless of their mechanism.

Scrap Obama's health stuff (albeit it's not popular with all anyway), seems to dislikes cheap healthcare options despite his own healthcare only coming from his wife's job.

Scrap the IRS....not quite sure what he intends to do in its place...

Voted against legislation for more funding and government bodies to investigate violent crimes against women, maybe a partners right to keep his wife like an animal, sounds teaparty.

Wants to "secure our borders"...despite being the son of a Cuban immigrant and...being born in Canada (had to give up citizenship to run)

So basically...the first of your usual handful of Republican crazies/Christian nutters steps forward. More he says sooner he'll go, I'd imagine if he does gain ground someone will film undercover comments about wanting to kill homosexuals or something.
Reply 7
Original post by joey11223
Ted Cruz....

No abortions (including rape of course, I imagine like others of his he believes if a woman is truly raped she cannot get pregnant (Todd Akin)).

No gay marriage of course, though not making it illegal yet surprisingly.

Contraception will mostly be out, condoms still in but basically any pills he brands as "causing abortions of babies" regardless of their mechanism.

Scrap Obama's health stuff (albeit it's not popular with all anyway), seems to dislikes cheap healthcare options despite his own healthcare only coming from his wife's job.

Scrap the IRS....not quite sure what he intends to do in its place...

Voted against legislation for more funding and government bodies to investigate violent crimes against women, maybe a partners right to keep his wife like an animal, sounds teaparty.

Wants to "secure our borders"...despite being the son of a Cuban immigrant and...being born in Canada (had to give up citizenship to run)

So basically...the first of your usual handful of Republican crazies/Christian nutters steps forward. More he says sooner he'll go, I'd imagine if he does gain ground someone will film undercover comments about wanting to kill homosexuals or something.

Yeah, I reckon Cruz is far too right for him to land the presidency.

he's also joke, take a look: http://tedcruz.com
how he's managed to announce his presidential campaign when he hasn't even bothered to sort himself out first is beyond me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Rand Paul announces 2016 White House bid.

Another Republican entry. Haven't heard much from the Democrats yet.
#StandWithRand
Original post by Gnobe

Many comments I'm reading in the NYT and Guardian suggest Obama will replace FDR as the greatest president of all time if gets the nuclear deal with Iran next week,

Oh my god. Are you serious?
Reply 11
Original post by Reluire

Bet their all waiting to see if Hilary jumps in or not. Wonder how different Rand will be from his father. Can't see him ever winning, or even getting close.
Original post by Gnobe
The democrats will badly struggle to replace Obama in this one. The energy and enthusiasm he brought to both 2008 and 2012 campaigns wont be there with Clinton (who will be nearly 70), I can't see her motivating young people or minorities the way Obama could, turnout will therefore be lower for the democrats.

Um, no. Sure, Obama had LOTS of enthusiasm in 2008, but 2012 was a whole another story. The recurring theme in 2012 was that of lackluster enthusiasm for both parties-with voters dissatisfied by both Romney and Obama. Among voters, it was a choice of which one was less worse than the other. Any enthusiasm that Obama had in 08 has long been gone.

It's unfair to compare 08 Obama who was running to 15 Hillary who isn't even in political office. But the being said, Hillary's book Hard Choices and it's tour was popular, and Hillary has always been good in gathering enthusiasm from women voters-who are a key bloc for the Democratic Party.

Hilary is no Obama, the democrats are effectively attempting to replace possibly the greatest politician of all time (in terms of speeches, charisma, presentation etc), we saw what happened to democrats in the mid terms when Obama's name was off the ticket.

Many comments I'm reading in the NYT and Guardian suggest Obama will replace FDR as the greatest president of all time if gets the nuclear deal with Iran next week, the democrats are replacing a superstar effectively. The republicans will win this one as Obama is now off the ticket. The GOP wont increase their turnout, but the democrats will lose theirs in terms of young people and minorities.

Once again, no. President Obama, as much as I love him, is not perceived by the American people to be the greatest POTUS of all time. Obama has been roundly criticized for overusing his executive authority to sidestep Congress, for a non-coherent Middle East policy, for sitting idly and watching ISIS gain power in the Middle East, negotiating the Iran deal without Congressional input, and alienating Israel. That doesn't even include criticisms of his domestic policy. FYI, comments from random people in the NYTimes (a bastion of liberalism) and the Guardian (which isn't even an American paper) are not indicative of the overall opinion of the American people.

BTW, do you even keep up with American politics? The latest polls put Hillary in a double digit lead to win over Jeb Bush, the highest rated Republican potential POTUS candidate. Hillary isn't going to decrease enthusiasm-she's been carefully planning this for ages.

Also I think there will be an anti-dynasty vote, Americans wont like the idea of another Bush/Clinton again in the white house, so if the Republicans avoid picking Bush and let the democrats pick Clinton, that will help them, Scott Walker looks like their best bet.

I highly doubt that their will be an anti-dynasty vote. Like I mentioned, the latest polls put Hillary to win the bid for the White House. On the GOP side, there has been a clear divide between the establishment branch (which Jeb embodies) and the ideological branch (which Ted Cruz and etc. are more affiliated with). FYI, the establishment branch tends to win because it has a better group of donors and is much more palatable for the primaries. On the other hand, the Republicans tend to go through a "anything but establishment candidate" phase, but I think the winner of that will be Rand Paul, the winner of the CPAC 2015 Straw Poll.

Both the Tories in the UK and Republicans are the natural part of government respectively in the US and the UK and are only put out of power when the left have a charismatic front man (e.g. JFK, Clinton, Obama, or Blair over here).

That is incorrect on SO many levels. The Republicans have NOT been the dominant party throughout American history. Maybe you should learn American history before you spout such erroneous ideas.
Well,usually Rebublicans before elections move more to "left" just to attract new voters.Democrats equally move more to the "right" to attract new voters.Hillary is the only candidate who has already stabilized at the centre.This shows at my personal opinion that she believes she can win the elections.She realizes her numbers.And she was smart enough to quit the run for presidency against Obama.So,she has not much of political frictions.On the other hand, Republicans are already the upper hand in both in the House and the Senate something which shows the political wave Republicans currently have and will most likely will continue to have in a year.Except if one year is enough for Americans to show their anger and dissatisfaction.Last but not least,Americans is a nation who traditionally vote for the most trusted and promising people.So in that case maybe a woman with a lot of political experience(if you include her husband's service) can improve America's position by improving both foreign policy (for start have a stronger word in Europe) and domestic (for instance do actually something about those sperms of racism).
(edited 8 years ago)
paul>clinton
I'd be saying that x2 if by "paul" I meant "ron"
Original post by zippity.doodah
paul>clinton
I'd be saying that x2 if by "paul" I meant "ron"

not really sure he'll overcome Cruz though
Original post by Hellen21
not really sure he'll overcome Cruz though

oh yeah, I forgot US conservatives were still mostly crazy :/
Original post by zippity.doodah
oh yeah, I forgot US conservatives were still mostly crazy :/

Well Republicans still love Texas hahaha :colone:
Original post by Reluire

Cruz? That's the best from R? US is not great enough? I can feel despair now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reluire

Better choice from R? But I don't think homosexuals and feminists like him. They couldn't vote for him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest