The Student Room Group

Effect of temperature on cell membrane?

Basically the question is how and why temperature effects the substance released from vacuole in a plant cell. So far, I have that higher temperature = more substance released but this is where I got stuck. Why does temperature damage the cell membrane and how does it do it? Here are my ideas so far:
Increased heat energy = more kinetic energy so cell bursts and contents in vacuole released.
Proteins denatured so holes in cell membrane so diffuses out??
Original post by Gott
I have this next wednesday as an assesed practical

I don't have this as a assessed practical??? Wtf now it feels like i've done something wrong... It was just a general question
Original post by Gott
Why? It just means you have someone who wants this answered and will bump this thread into Activation energy :wink:.

No... It means the mods will remove the thread...
Increase in temperature of a membrane =
increases kinetic energy = increases fluidity = could decrease membrane integrity.
increases vibrations of proteins = proteins could denature (come apart & lose shape)

Decrease in temperature of a membrane =
decreases kinetic energy = deceases vibrations of phospholipids = phospholipids packed together so tightly = no substances can cross = membrane less permeable
decreases kinetic energy = decreases movement of molecules = deceases collisions (between molecules & membrane) = less molecules pass through phospholipid bilayer, carrier & channel proteins
harder for cell to provide ATP = less molecules pass through carrier proteins

tl;dr:
increase temperature = increases fluidity & denatures proteins
decrease temperature = decreases permeability of membrane

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is this the beetroot quantitate and evaluative PSA?
Original post by phoebc
Is this the beetroot quantitate and evaluative PSA?

Yes :smile: Do you have the mark scheme. But it's a mock from 2003.
Original post by BioStudentx
Yes :smile: Do you have the mark scheme. But it's a mock from 2003.

Is the experiment asking you to investigate:h:ow temperature affects the amount of pigment released from the vacuole of the beetroot slices

Because I am retaking my AS PSAs and have done the quantitate part of it and doing the evaluative part of it tomorrow. However did the eval prep for it today.

Are u doing this as a real PSA to? or are u just doing it as a mock?
Original post by phoebc
Is the experiment asking you to investigate:h:ow temperature affects the amount of pigment released from the vacuole of the beetroot slices

Because I am retaking my AS PSAs and have done the quantitate part of it and doing the evaluative part of it tomorrow. However did the eval prep for it today.

Are u doing this as a real PSA to? or are u just doing it as a mock?

Doing it as a mock because I have my AQA biology empa on red cabbage cells very soon.
ohhh I am doing the OCR board and so think the questions/answers will be slightly different for both of us
Original post by callmemarss
has anyone done task 1 and 2 for the AS biology EMPA? how was it, how did u guys do your tables. im so scared

Not allowed to ask on this thread - this was purely based for a MOCK coursework help and now you're asking for advice which is against the guidelines.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending