The Student Room Group

how to say no...

well, tomorrow im off to a party, however i dont drink alcohol. i kno that my friends respect that i don drink, when theyre sober at least, but ive never seen them drunk. due to this, im not sure if they will still respect that i don drink. i need advice on saying "no" even when im under pressure.
all advice is appreciated... thanx :tsr:

p.s. i don drink out of personal choice. my parents have never drunk it, and i don plan on either:smile::smile:
Reply 1
Just say no, I've managed it for 3 years. If your friends really respect you they will understand.
I don't drink very often due to the fact I drive and prefer to be sober when I'm not driving. Sometimes when my friends are drunk they tell me I should join in but I don't, just don't give in to peer pressure. If you really hold this belief strongly then you won't do it, will you?
They'll probably have a bit of "take a drink" banter, but it's just joking around unless they start getting forceful / nasty about it. Just don't get "angry" about it, because that'll alienate people.

I can't speak from the perspective of the non-drinker as I drink like a fish, but one of my flatmates is tee-total. Kinda stopped noticing that he doesn't drink after a while. Still occasionally try to get him to have a beer sometimes, but if he says no 9 or 10 times I give up :biggrin:
Reply 3
i used to drink like a fish too, but i stopped because i realised what a tit i was like. My mates all call me soft and literally force me to drink but i just say no! im fine. and they leave me to it after a while.

youl be fine!
Reply 4
You could always try the "it makes me terrbily sick and vomit all over my friends" line....
Reply 5
wellp.. in the end its how strong your willpower is
Its pretty simple, you just avoid it, and try and go along with the crowd. Out of experience it can be hard being the only sober one at a party because everyone seems to be off their head having fun and laughing at anything so you have to get hyper off snacks and coke (the drink :p:) lol. Just always have some water in hand so you arnt tempted to sway for something else, and dont let people force drinks into your hand. Or just say my dad's picking me up and he'll kill me if he finds out ive been drinking etc. etc. good luck :smile: x
same as everyone above has said :smile: if people start to get really pushy about it, just laugh and wander off to see some other people, or something like that? That's what I usually do if I ever get hassled.
Reply 8
Never understood people who dont drink just cause their parents dont. You've never tried it just because your parents dont drink. Thats not being yourself, thats just following in their shadow.
Reply 9
I agree with all the "just say no" advice. They might push it (yes, even if you tell them you'll throw up all over them...they don't care until you do it), but they'll give up after a while.

I think people push it more if you are getting uptight about everyone elses drunkenness and/or you are sitting in a corner looking really uncomfortable. Drunk people don't like those who pull the mood down. They like other people to be in "the same place" as them...so if you just go along and have fun with the drunkenness, they probably won't bother you as much.
i am the same way n my friends respect it and stuff and one time we all stayed in my friends back garden in the tent and everyone exept me and someone else was drunk n i was just saying nah thanks im just gonna get something to eat and in the end everyone was happy that i was able to pick up the peices... (friends crying and throwing up ect) lawl <3
Reply 11
the problem is that i im sleepin over... sooo it could b a long nite... mite try my patience... and thanx 4 teh advice soo far :biggrin:

seein that its a long nite ill need some more phrases than whats already been sed lol...
Anonymous
the problem is that i im sleepin over... sooo it could b a long nite... mite try my patience... and thanx 4 teh advice soo far :biggrin:

seein that its a long nite ill need some more phrases than whats already been sed lol...

In my above post ^^^^^ when i said we were in the tent, i was reffering to a time when i slept over there. Well... i say slept over... i was up till 4am taking people to the toilet and cleaning up sick >< eww lol. dont worry just say u are gonna stay sober to keep ppl sorted. worked for me. and maybe have a wee drink just WKD during the night just little sips or just carry it.
Just say no and don't anyone pressure you.
Reply 14
ah ye thats a gd excuse actually... ill b here if ne1 gets into a mess lol

ill b off soon... so any last min tips? thanks to all those that have contributed

otherwise thanks, god bless and gd nite :biggrin: lol got that off youtube

Latest

Trending

Trending