The Student Room Group

Doing School direct that leads to QTS but does not to PGCE

Hi I am planning on applying to a school direct place in FML that leads to QTS but not to a PGCE. I understand the main advantage of the PGCE is being recognized overseas. How can I apply/do a PGCE later in live? Or is it better to do a Masters in Education once you have achieved a QTS? In that case will the Masters in Education have any benefits to work abroad too?
Original post by yamimar
Hi I am planning on applying to a school direct place in FML that leads to QTS but not to a PGCE. I understand the main advantage of the PGCE is being recognized overseas. How can I apply/do a PGCE later in live? Or is it better to do a Masters in Education once you have achieved a QTS? In that case will the Masters in Education have any benefits to work abroad too?

I am sure you can do a PGCE later on, if you wanted to, and get funded by whatever school you are working at.
Reply 2
Apologies if I'm misunderstanding, but do you mean doing a PGCE after getting QTS?

I would think it unlikely you would get onto a PGCE because you'd be taking the course to obtain something you already have (i.e. QTS).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Yes, that's my question. Only asking in case I relocate abroad. It seems the QTS will only be recognised in UK? While PGCE will be accepted abroad more easily.
Reply 4
I believe it is possible to do School Direct and gain a PGCE in addition to QTS. On the education.gov Get Into Teaching website there is a helpline you could ring to find out more?
Reply 5
The schools direct provider I am choosing does not lead to PGCE, only to QTS.
I don't see how you could do it after already having qts. The pgce courses are not set up as a purely academic course, they are completely intertwined with everything required to get QTS (placements etc).

Look at some of the international school adverts on TES to check if they really do only want the PGCE. I think some just ask for a suitable teaching qualification and 2 years of teaching experience.
Reply 7
Original post by yamimar
Yes, that's my question. Only asking in case I relocate abroad. It seems the QTS will only be recognised in UK? While PGCE will be accepted abroad more easily.

The PGCE is what you do to achieve QTS though; if you have QTS you wouldn't need to do a PGCE and I would think it very unlikely you would get onto one.

It is a course you would essentially not be able to fail; they couldn't tell you that you did not meet the requirements to achieve QTS because it would be something you already had (it's like saying "you're a qualified teacher but you shouldn't be").

Speak to university admissions and / or organisations that deal with teachers who want to work abroad.

It shouldn't matter how you obtained QTS as long as you have it, and the required minimum length of experience that they want.
Original post by Pixsoul
The PGCE is what you do to achieve QTS though; if you have QTS you wouldn't need to do a PGCE and I would think it very unlikely you would get onto one.

It is a course you would essentially not be able to fail; they couldn't tell you that you did not meet the requirements to achieve QTS because it would be something you already had (it's like saying "you're a qualified teacher but you shouldn't be").

Speak to university admissions and / or organisations that deal with teachers who want to work abroad.

It shouldn't matter how you obtained QTS as long as you have it, and the required minimum length of experience that they want.

I work in an international school now and it's true that lots of schools insist on a PGCE, not just QTS. You cannot do a PGCE if you already have QTS so if you know you want to work in a country that requires a PGCE (most CIS accredited schools in the Middle East do) then you would be better off doing a PGCE rather than School Direct. It totally varies country to country but you would need to look into that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending