The Student Room Group

Is 23 too old to have the "Normal" uni experience?

I want to do some more A levels or an Access course and go to uni, but I'd be 23 when I started. I'm not sure what course I'm applying for yet.

I really want to go and party and fit in with the others and run for elections and all that. To live a full student life.

Can I though? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Dude, you'll probably be fine.
Reply 2
Original post by devangdave
Dude, you'll probably be fine.

Are you a mature student?
I'm not, in fact, I'm still not a student, however I went down to have a look at my uni a few weeks ago, and the mature students fitted in really well, maybe slightly better with handling alcohol than the others
Reply 4
Original post by devangdave
I'm not, in fact, I'm still not a student, however I went down to have a look at my uni a few weeks ago, and the mature students fitted in really well, maybe slightly better with handling alcohol than the others

thanks what uni? :smile:
...You're only 23.

You'll have the exact same uni experience like everyone else.
I'm almost 21 and I adore Uni and every experience that comes with it.
We're in our 20's..we're still young! :biggrin:
I don't see any reason why not. I knew plenty of students around your age or older when they started their studies and it made no difference. The oldest student I knew was over 60 and was one of the most popular people on my course.
Reply 7
Original post by Sycamores
...You're only 23.

You'll have the exact same uni experience like everyone else.
I'm almost 21 and I adore Uni and every experience that comes with it.
We're in our 20's..we're still young! :biggrin:

Thanks! :biggrin: What uni are you at? I've heard some are better than others for mature students.

Manitude
I don't see any reason why not. I knew plenty of students around your age or older when they started their studies and it made no difference. The oldest student I knew was over 60 and was one of the most popular people on my course.

Which uni were you at and which course? :smile:
Original post by NickEgg
Thanks! :biggrin: What uni are you at? I've heard some are better than others for mature students.

Glasgow Caledonian :biggrin: I'm in my 3rd year of Computer Science!
Original post by NickEgg
thanks what uni? :smile:

Exeter, for engineering

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there an age at which, even if you're well liked by your coursemates, it becomes impossible to have the 'typical' student experience and lifestyle? Yes, yes there is.

Is that age 23? No, no it isn't.

Source: 23 year old 1st year.
Reply 11
Original post by NickEgg
I want to do some more A levels or an Access course and go to uni, but I'd be 23 when I started. I'm not sure what course I'm applying for yet.

I really want to go and party and fit in with the others and run for elections and all that. To live a full student life.

Can I though? :smile:

When I first went to uni most the boys in the flat next door were older 20-28 and we never even thought about it they blended in with the rest of us.

I'm going to Plymouth uni next year to study English and I'll be starting at 22, but I'll be starting from 2nd year. Still hoping to get a full experience again though. Live in halls, join a sport, write for the paper etc
Original post by NickEgg

Which uni were you at and which course? :smile:

Lancaster, MSc Volcanology.

There was also a guy in his forties on my BSc Physics course who was pretty popular.
Original post by StretfordEnd
Is there an age at which, even if you're well liked by your coursemates, it becomes impossible to have the 'typical' student experience and lifestyle? Yes, yes there is.

I think there's not an age, there's a stage of life. An 18 year old with kids would struggle with a 'typical' student lifestyle while a 28 year old with no commitments might not.
Reply 14
Original post by StretfordEnd

What age would you say that is? (roughly)

Also how have you found it? :smile:
My year group had quite a few mid to late 20's starting and they seemed to have pretty similar experiences to us. You may feel a bit more mature than some of the straight out of college but that'll mean you'll probably make better use of your time there tbh.
Original post by NickEgg
What age would you say that is? (roughly)

Also how have you found it? :smile:

I'm not sure I could exactly put an age on it, so let me give a 'what if'. In a few different cities Carnage bar crawls are still a big deal and are part of the 'typical' uni experience. If you tipped up to one as a 40 year old bloke, you might well just be after the 'typical' experience but people are going to go '40 year old bloke doing this? bit weird'.

It's probably not important though, as I'd imagine there's a very high correlation between being 'too old' for the 'typical' student experience, and not actually wanting the typical student experience.

Personally? I've found it great. Because I've gone into it older, I'm doing something that I'm absolutely passionate about - seldom do I go to a lecture without having done the readings or hand in an essay on deadline day. From an academic point of view, I'm definitely getting more out of this than I would have at 18.

From a social point of view, I feel cool as **** :colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:. My life experiences are generally speaking a bit beyond that of the average first year so I have the stories to tell and all that, but I'm also close enough to them in age we have the same frame of reference in terms of pop culture and that - so I don't really feel like the old man on campus or anything like that.
I'm looked at as a mature student at the age of 21 but I'm still very much included with everyone else. Personally I choose not to have the uni life style of drinking all the time but I know if I did I wouldn't be out alone! Also some unis do foundation years if you don't have a levels. Have a look into it 👏
In the real world, an age difference of five years isn't considered very important.
The "University Experience" is what you make of it. So if you have in your head that being 23 is 'really old and boring and stupid and why-am-I-going-to-uni' then you're obviously going to hate it. :K::K::K::K::K::ashamed:

Basically what I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't let anything stop you from having a good time should you go to uni, whether you're 23, 33 or 63.

The 'normal aged' university students aren't going to run away from you because you're a few years older than they are. Go forth and enjoy yourself :smile: :smile:

Quick Reply