The Student Room Group

Buying a puppy at uni?

Basically I have wanted my own dog for years, and know about a lot of breeds and their suitability for certain homes and owners. I have always had an interest in a certain breed in particular, the tibetan spaniel. I was thinking of buying a tibetan pup at the beginning of the summer holidays so I had a few months to house train it, before moving into my house for the second year.

I have thought about many factors including cost, and my student loan would easily cover it. It is a small low cost creature and does not demand a great deal of food, exercise or grooming. I have barely any contact hours a day and so for the first two years of the puppies life (the years where it demands the most attention) it would barely be left alone. I also don't go out much, and would be living with two other housemates, who would both be happy to accompany it when they are in.

Thoughts? I know this sounds rather odd but I have thought many other factors through which I haven't mentioned.
What about Westies?
Reply 2
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
What about Westies?

Westies are really cute, but not my kind of breed, I'm into more exotic dogs with apple heads :smile:
Original post by sia-glover
Westies are really cute, but not my kind of breed, I'm into more exotic dogs with apple heads :smile:

Tibetan Spaniels are insanely cute :3
Reply 4
no clue why im writing here since i have no/limited knowledge of university life but my logic says that you should wait until after uni, having a dog is lovely although think about the hassle to travel with a dog, not many beaches, hotels, air planes and spaces of leisure allow dogs. so maybe wait until you've done your fairshare of travelling/ being carefree a little longer?
although that is my opinion only :smile:
Surely it'd be pretty difficult to find a place that allows pets?
Reply 6
If I waited till I stopped travelling then I'd be nearly dead! Haha. I dont travel a lot though. But if I went away for a week my mum has said she wouldn't mind petsitting it, thanks for your reply
Reply 7
You're right, its quite difficult to find a pet friendly house. Its not impossible but still hard. This is only if I can find a pet friendly place to live :smile:
to be honest you'll find it hard to find a landlord in a student place who allows pets, and be aware student areas can be noise and your flatmates wont be able to have parties etc

even if you don't consider any of the costs of the pet (which I think would get tricky on a student loan) you are buying a dog at a time when you are completely unsettled and will be moving a lot in the next few year which isn't fair on the animal in my opinion, I'd also love a dog but I wont get one until I'm a bit more settled as I don't think it's fair to be moving it around regularly and I don't yet know where I'll be in 2-3 years so don't want to have to give the dog away
No, just no.

It will be against your tenancy agreement. Student houses are often grim places for dogs (noise, dirt, broken glass, parties) and when you come to graduate you'll be working full time and you will have no time for the unfortunate dog.

Wait until you've graduated and have settled down. In the meantime, go and volunteer at an animal shelter or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. When you say your student loan could cover it, what exactly are you factoring in because sure it can cover dog food but do you have any idea how expensive vet bills are? Dogs can get sick too and it's not always expected. You need to be able to deal with that. I've also never heard of student accommodation that allows pets and very few private landlords will accept them. Just the fact that you are down playing how much care and attention the dog needs makes me think you're not willing to give it 100% anyway, and that's unfair on the dog.
Reply 11
I don't think you should get a dog at this point. It's difficult to find pet friendly houses, as has been mentioned above and I agree with student houses being unsuitable.

I just don't think it would be fair for the dog. If you're travelling between uni and home during holidays etc, it's stressful for the dog. It is a big responsibility too: food, vet bills, walking. I think you'd end up thinking of it as a burden, regardless of if you grew to love him/her because you have to take care of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending