The Student Room Group

Do parents go to applicant days?

I was just after peoples' opinions as to whether it's normal for people to bring parents to applicant days (post application)?
Thanks
Original post by StudentAnon1
I was just after peoples' opinions as to whether it's normal for people to bring parents to applicant days (post application)?
Thanks

Out of all the applicant days I've been to/seen at uni id say about 80% of people if not more are with their parents :smile: It's by no means necessary but obviously the parents want to see what it's like.
Original post by OneOfThem
Out of all the applicant days I've been to/seen at uni id say about 80% of people if not more are with their parents :smile: It's by no means necessary but obviously the parents want to see what it's like.

Yeah, my parents came to the open day so they saw quite a lot of it then, and because the uni is about 4 hours away, my dad was going to drive me there then chill in the town for the day. Did you bring your parents? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
i went to one of my open days on my own. it's so awkward walking around on your own trying to figure **** out.
Original post by StudentAnon1
Yeah, my parents came to the open day so they saw quite a lot of it then, and because the uni is about 4 hours away, my dad was going to drive me there then chill in the town for the day. Did you bring your parents? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well obviously it's up to you, but no i didn't bring my parents to either an Open Day or Applicant Day, i just went with friends who had applied to the same universities. It's definitely not a necessity to have your parents there, but if there is no-one else you can go with it's probably best to bring them along, as you don't want to be in a room full of strangers all on your own :tongue:
My parents came to the open day at Birmingham with me back in September but in the applicant day during February I visited my course (law) alone but travelle with a friend to the uni. It isn't awkward really I mean you are there to absorb the information and you mostly won't be interacting with other students. I found it good on my own because it meant I kept pace with the law tour guide who I asked loads of questions :P I also did the same at the end of the tour/before the main lecture so it's good if it gets you out of your comfort zone a bit. It's good for your independence too
Lots of parents go as they are the student's transport. Also, it can be useful to have a second opinion and someone to ask those questions you forget or don't think of.
Reply 7
I took my dad to an applicant day a few months ago and am taking both of my parents to another applicant day tomorrow. The applicant day that I went to had a separate presentation for parents so obviously people bring their parents if they have a separate event organised for them. It's a very important decision to make and so I think if possible it is good to have at least one of your parents to come along. I personally don't find it embarrassing that my parents care to come along.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I went to all 3 of my sons applicant days with him and his mother came with us on 2. what I found is that there were very few without someone. it can also be a long way to travel on your own so having someone to travel with can be a help especially if your staying overnight
Reply 9
My Parent went with me it was 6 hrs traveling as i had an interview on the same day. I saw 90%+ all walking around with their parents and it is handy as they tend to ask questions that you wont think of asking as that is what parents do especially financial and accommodation etc.
I went to all of mine either with my sister or my dad. I do think, if possible, its better to go on your own, cause you may be more likely to make an effort with talking to people who may be on your course. If you are on your own, it isn't really an issue, as long as the day is structured and you're given the necessary guidance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending