The Student Room Group

UCL vs Bath vs Warwick

Hey guys, I got an offer from all three of the Uni.

MMaths for Warwick
MMaths for Bath
Maths with Econ for UCL

What's your guys view on those three Universities?

Personaly I don't like the department buidling for UCL, or the location of Warwick. I heard that Bath is full of old people and the social life is not as good. On the other hand, which of the three offers the hardest course? (Just like everyone else, I'd like to study at a place with reasonablly good social life and hopefully get a first after 3/4 years and go to one of the top financial services companies)
Academically Warwick>Bath>UCL, but reputaton wise, UCL>Warwick>Bath
So it makes my choice a lot harder

Thanks for your help guys!! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I never studied a maths degree before, but from what I heard that Warwick offer the hardest maths course among those 3 unis.
Btw, in overall UCL should be the best (for both academic and reputation), in terms of maths Warwick should be the best, and UCL should be on par with Bath.

Anyway, all are sth I heard from others, so it is not that reliable LOL
Reply 2
Original post by a5a09
I never studied a maths degree before, but from what I heard that Warwick offer the hardest maths course among those 3 unis.
Btw, in overall UCL should be the best (for both academic and reputation), in terms of maths Warwick should be the best, and UCL should be on par with Bath.

Anyway, all are sth I heard from others, so it is not that reliable LOL

Don't worry man, every little help counts.
Thank you :smile:
Original post by wkit11

MMaths for Warwick
MMaths for Bath
Maths with Econ for UCL

Personaly I don't like the department buidling for UCL, or the location of Warwick. I heard that Bath is full of old people and the social life is not as good. On the other hand, which of the three offers the hardest course? (Just like everyone else, I'd like to study at a place with reasonablly good social life and hopefully get a first after 3/4 years and go to one of the top financial services companies)

Warwick everyday for Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Warwick for maths by a long shot.

Enjoy your social life now, as you won't have any for the next 4 years. :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Warwick for maths by a long shot.

Enjoy your social life now, as you won't have any for the next 4 years. :wink:

Woah,seriously? Is the course really that time consuming or is just the social life in Warwick really sucks? :ahee:
Original post by wkit11
Woah,seriously? Is the course really that time consuming or is just the social life in Warwick really sucks? :ahee:

Both. :teehee:
Reply 7
Original post by wkit11

Dude I am having the same dilemma!! Offers from Warwick Bath and Exeter so far and I mean I've just ruled out Bath it seems so boring... But warwick seemed dead and just like some weird student bubble, I'm thinking of just firming exeter over warwick for the social life and location, even though exeter offered me AAB to warwick's A*A*A2... I mean it would take a lot of the pressure off too...

I just dont want to be in warwick and it be awful socially. I care more about having friends and a life than I do about going to a more reputable uni... or am I being dumb... Tough times.
UCL is in London, which can be fun but expensive. You'll have in your favour the fact that it's known worldwide and 4th in the world (you shouldn't base your choice on rankings but employers certainly do). Good luck, you have 3 great choices, but I'd definitely choose only between Warwick and UCL. Also consider how hard your offers are. Are you confident you'll be able to meet them?
Original post by wkit11

MMaths for Warwick
MMaths for Bath
Maths with Econ for UCL

What are the offers for each?
Reply 10
Original post by Placeboo123
What are the offers for each?

Well, A*A*A with grade 2 in any STEP or A*AA with grade 1 in any STEP for Warwick

A*A*A or A*AA with grade 1 in any STEP for UCL

A*AA or A*AB with grade 1 (or 2, I forgot, oops) in any STEP for Bath

:smile:
Original post by wkit11
Well, A*A*A with grade 2 in any STEP or A*AA with grade 1 in any STEP for Warwick

I don't get how it's any STEP, I mean the difficulty level between STEP I and III is huge right?
Therefore why on earth would you do anything other than STEP I?
Reply 12
Original post by pryngles
Dude I am having the same dilemma!! Offers from Warwick Bath and Exeter so far and I mean I've just ruled out Bath it seems so boring... But warwick seemed dead and just like some weird student bubble, I'm thinking of just firming exeter over warwick for the social life and location, even though exeter offered me AAB to warwick's A*A*A2... I mean it would take a lot of the pressure off too...

I just dont want to be in warwick and it be awful socially. I care more about having friends and a life than I do about going to a more reputable uni... or am I being dumb... Tough times.

Ikr, tough times :s-smilie:
How come you think bath is boring, it seems more lively compare to Warwick? :tongue:
Yeah I really care about friend and life as well but i'm not sure, you reckon 3 years of hard work in a place like Warwick will pay off?
Isn't UCL one of the best in the country for Mathematics, even better than Warwick? Bath is good for placements but I don't think that will be relevant for a Maths degree.
Original post by wkit11
Ikr, tough times :s-smilie:How come you think bath is boring, it seems more lively compare to Warwick? :tongue:Yeah I really care about friend and life as well but i'm not sure, you reckon 3 years of hard work in a place like Warwick will pay off?

the thing that pushes warwick above bath is that Warwick has a few places to drink and a massive student bar for nights, whereas from what I've heard bath has nothing. I think a great degree from warwick will pretty much set you for life in maths, but then I want to have a good time and loads of nights out, warwicks course just seems too intense for that. I just want to have fun!!?
Original post by Raymat
Isn't UCL one of the best in the country for Mathematics, even better than Warwick? Bath is good for placements but I don't think that will be relevant for a Maths degree.

Nah COWI have the best reputation for maths, UCL is good but a bit below the big 4
Original post by wkit11

You'll be taking STEP I then right?
Is there any advantage to taking STEP III for example oppose to STEP I?
Reply 17
I don't get how it's any STEP, I mean the difficulty level between STEP I and III is huge right?
Therefore why on earth would you do anything other than STEP I?

Yeah, so I will only be doing STEP 1.
I asked the admission office when I went to the open day and they said any STEP papers :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
You'll be taking STEP I then right?
Is there any advantage to taking STEP III for example oppose to STEP I?

I really can't see the point to do STEP 3, I want to make sure I can get A*A*A :awesome:
Original post by Raymat

Where did you get your information that UCL is one of the best and better than Warwick for Maths?

Quick Reply

Latest