The Student Room Group

Plane crash: Germanwings A320 crashes in French Alps

An Airbus A320 carrying 142 passengers and 6 crew has crashed in the French Alps en route to Dusseldorf.

The plane belongs to Germanwings.

What does the future of air transport hold? There have been reports of many plane crashes recently, what needs to happen to prevent them from happening?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Made me nervy as I am flying over the Alps to go skiing in less than a week
Reply 2
Original post by Jeanlucpicard
What does the future of air transport hold? There have been reports of many plane crashes recently, what needs to happen to prevent them from happening?

What are you, some ghoulish tabloid journalist in disguise?

Name a mode of transport that never suffers from problems...

Until then, wind yer neck in, we have no idea what the cause was or the fate of the ~150 on board.
Shocked and my thoughts going out to the 142 aboard and their families.

Flying and civil aviation are true pleasures of mine. I've booked 6 flights this year and I honestly wish it were more. The only things that perhaps saddens me more than the heartbreak caused by air disasters are the journalistic misconceptions that inevitably follow, to provoke the vulnerable for a few bob.
(edited 8 years ago)
Not good news at all, recently we have heard many incidents involving plane crashes over the past year or so when it wasn't very common before that. It's also in a remote part of France so if there are survivors, which reports say Is unlikely, they will need medical assistance quickly
Reply 5
:frown: Another tragedy :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Flew with Germanwings late last year, good airline with lovely crew. Last 18 months or so have been awful for plane crashes, thoughts with all of those involved :frown:
An Airbus A320 carrying 142 passengers and 6 crew has crashed in the French Alps en route to Dusseldorf.

The reason these are reported on so extensively is because they're so rare.
RIP to the passengers & crew. Despite these tragedies air travel is much safer than the roads. you do not get uninsured boy racer pilots trying to impress their mates by flying like dicks. Also German airlines are thorough in their maintenance etc.

As far as I know, it's 150 passengers including 6 crew members and 2 babies. (67 Germans, 45 Spanish people).

It's a horrible ordeal and questions will have to answered as to why the "safest mean of transport" has left so many dead yet again.

There was distress signal as they plummeted for 8 minutes, so it's likely to be engine failure.
This is why I feel like I can't be bothered to travel anymore.
Original post by TornadoGR4
The reason these are reported on so extensively is because they're so rare.

Uhhhhh, pretty sure they're "reported (on) so extensively" because they're tragedies, not because of how uncommon they are?
Original post by neal95
Not good news at all, recently we have heard many incidents involving plane crashes over the past year or so when it wasn't very common before that. It's also in a remote part of France so if there are survivors, which reports say Is unlikely, they will need medical assistance quickly

I heard the plane plummeted for 8 minutes .... I really don't think we can consider 'survivers'.
Can you just imagine if you were on a plane and then suddenly the plane starts free-falling towards the ground... You know you're gonna die and stuff... I just cant think of a more scary situation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dodgypirate
Uhhhhh, pretty sure they're "reported (on) so extensively" because they're tragedies, not because of how uncommon they are?

It's both, but even plane incidents with no casualties get large amounts of coverage. Like the Virgin Atlantic plane with the bad undercarriage not so long ago, like the BA aircraft that crashed at Heathrow a few years ago, like the plane that crash landed in the river in NYC... Worst injury in all three cases was a single broken leg, yet they were all front page news globally.
Original post by Amir al-Mumineen
Can you just imagine if you were on a plane and then suddenly the plane starts free-falling towards the ground... You know you're gonna die and stuff... I just cant think of a more scary situation

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can, being locked in a cage and set on fire is pretty scary.

Obviously, but transport related tragedies occur everyday all over the world. Yet it's only air travel that makes global news

Terrible news just in that a school trip was taking place & 16 children & 2 teachers were onboard.
Original post by Drewski
It's both, but even plane incidents with no casualties get large amounts of coverage. Like the Virgin Atlantic plane with the bad undercarriage not so long ago, like the BA aircraft that crashed at Heathrow a few years ago, like the plane that crash landed in the river in NYC... Worst injury in all three cases was a single broken leg, yet they were all front page news globally.

It's still a tragedy that deserves front news globally.
I heard the plane plummeted for 8 minutes .... I really don't think we can consider 'survivers'.

Enough of the baseless hyperbole. It's being reported as eight minutes of descent, not plummeting.

Planes will continue as normal, people need to fly to get around. If a mode of transport was to be banned or restricted because of crashes, the car should have been illegal long ago.

Quick Reply

Latest