The Student Room Group

Plane crash: Germanwings A320 crashes in French Alps

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MJK91
Why on Earth do people bring religion into these threads first then? What point does it serve?

But it wasn't negative? Even if you don't believe in religion, those that do are at least trying to wish the victims and those involved well. It's not like anyone said "they deserve this for not following xyz" :confused:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TornadoGR4
But it wasn't negative? Even if you don't believe in religion, those that do are at least trying to wish the victims and those involved well. It's not like anyone said "they deserve this for not following xyz" :confused:

It wasn't constructive either. It feels like people are constantly wishing their faith on others and blindly ignoring the fact that if they believe in God's existence, then he must have let it happen...

Just pointing out idiocy that's all.
Original post by MJK91
Why on Earth do people bring religion into these threads first then? What point does it serve?

When people say "thoughts and prayers" in this sort of situation they mean it in a supportive way, not really to do with religion. No-one has mentioned what their faith is, or started forcing it on anyone else.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jameswhughes
When people say "thoughts and prayers" in this sort of situation they mean it in a supportive way, not really to do with religion. No-one has mentioned what their faith is, or started forcing it on anyone else.

It really makes no difference. Unless you believe in a deity which encourages bad things to happen, it has no place in such a thread.

Why not just thoughts?

I'm confused. Such a large decent and no precautionary measures/actions were being taken despite the continuous fall from 38.5K to 17K.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Adam171014
I'm confused. Such a large decent and no precautionary measures/actions were being taken despite the continuous fall from 38.5K to 17K.

How do you know? Aside from a lack of communication, there's nothing else to suggest precautionary measures weren't being taken.

If anything, the fact they were slowing down despite descending suggests the exact opposite.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
How do you know? Aside from a lack of communication, there's nothing else to suggest precautionary measures weren't being taken.

If anything, the fact they were slowing down despite descending suggests the exact opposite.

Phrased myself wrong. Perhaps the cabinet could have tried to land at Puimosson Airport. And inspite of the rapid descent, the plane started accelerating from 520MPH at 38K to 560MPH peak at 24,650K, before starting to decelerate at 20.3K. But by the time it started to decelerate at 10:36, the emergency landing option at Puimosson would have gone out the window as it passed the airport at 10:37.

Guess it all happened in too quick of a time frame for any feasible action to take place, 10:31 to 10:41. And this section of the article was also an interesting read...
(edited 9 years ago)
Phrased myself wrong. Perhaps the cabinet could have tried to land at Puimosson Airport. And inspite of the rapid descent, the plane started accelerating from 520MPH at 38K to 560MPH peak at 24,650K, before starting to decelerate at 20.3K. But by the time it started to decelerate at 10:36, the emergency landing option at Puimosson would have gone out the window as it passed the airport at 10:37.

Guess it all happened in too quick of a time frame for any feasible action to take place, 10:31 to 10:41. And this section of the article was also an interesting read...

Thought about rapid decompression too, the descent took 8mins and oxygen tanks last 15 mins - so could have been an emergency decent - BUT a safe altitude to descend to is 10k, the plane went further below that ... Perhaps ruling any form of decompression out of the window.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My thoughts are for those bereaved.

It will not change the number of times I fly. Think of how many people die on the roads each year- how many people do you know of who have died in road crashes, and then if there are any who have died in a plane crash.
Interesting how few posts this thread has.

RIP to all these poor souls.
Original post by MJK91
It really makes no difference. Unless you believe in a deity which encourages bad things to happen, it has no place in such a thread.

Why not just thoughts?

...and in attempting to point out 'idiocy', you've made yourself look like one as well. People say prayers because again, because they're offering their support in that manner along with their 'thoughts' and they feel that's one way to do it -- why should the altar that feeling because people like you get pissy for no reason? No one here is attempting to arrogant in any way with their regards to religion or trying to influence someone in that way. Not that difficult mate. There is literally no negative aspect behind the posts in this thread.

At least those guys are being considerate and / or thoughtful, unlike yourself who instead decided to call them out on it.

What an absolutely pathetic attempt to get one over on religion. Talk about creating an issue over nothing ffs :rolleyes:

--

RIP to all the lives lost. Thoughts and prayers for friends, families and everyone involved.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dodgypirate
Does it matter if I used 'plummet' instead of 'descended'? It came down, that's fact :redface:

Plummet has a different meaning.

Example: When you are on a flight and you get a PA, they usually say: "We'll soon be starting our descent into London Heathrow..." not: "And we will soon start plummeting..."

From what I have seen, the rate of descent was around the 3,000fpm mark. Hardly a plummet as such.
Reply 52
Scary...but at the end of the day it is probably still the safest form of transportation.
Original post by InnerTemple

Example: When you are on a flight and you get a PA, they usually say: "We'll soon be starting our descent into London Heathrow..." not: "And we will soon start plummeting..."

From what I have seen, the rate of descent was around the 3,000fpm mark. Hardly a plummet as such.

It doesn't matter, the plane crashed.
Original post by InnerTemple

Plummet.
At what rate of fall would you define it as "Plummeting" as opposed to descending?
Plummet.
At what rate of fall would you define it as "Plummeting" as opposed to descending?

Personally I'd say if the angle was descent was a nose dive or near to it, or if it stalled after take-off and fell out of the sky, that's plummeting. Something causing it to lose altitude and "glide" downwards for 10 minutes before hitting the ground is more an uncontrolled descend to me.

Sad stuff, but won't stop me flying this year.
I had a friend who recently had to take 2 flights to New Zealand from London with Malaysian Airlines. She was dreading it given what happened last year, but she's there safely and having a good time. It just goes to show, it can happen on any mode of transport.
Sad to see yet more unnecessary deaths.

Really wish the international news media could restrain themselves a bit more though. Ascending like a pack of rabid vultures while families and friends attempt to grieve always makes me rather uneasy.
So tragic. Can't imagine what the victims went through. Thoughts are with them and their loved ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Original post by mojojojo101
Sad to see yet more unnecessary deaths.

Really wish the international news media could restrain themselves a bit more though. Ascending like a pack of rabid vultures while families and friends attempt to grieve always makes me rather uneasy.

I agree, the first thing I came across was a huge photograph of a poor man clearly distraught and crying. It's so intrusive. The last thing they must want is to be hounded and have cameras shoved in their faces.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending