The Student Room Group

If I'm a loser, are my followers as well?

This is just a question of logic.

Honestly speaking, I don't really know the real definition of "loser".
All I know is that it's relative depending on which people see you as such, and it's usually only defined by other people...
but when you believe it, you feel bad and become a very passive person.
That's what I think.

But my main question is...
If you're a loser, a worthless, useless person... wouldn't that imply that those who follow you, who admire you, who pay you compliments, or who are attracted to you and love you... are losers as well?

Why would anyone be interested in a loser if they're not losers as well?
Reply 1
probably.
Reply 2
Anonymous
This is just a question of logic.

Honestly speaking, I don't really know the real definition of "loser".
All I know is that it's relative depending on which people see you as such, and it's usually only defined by other people...
but when you believe it, you feel bad and become a very passive person.
That's what I think.

But my main question is...
If you're a loser, a worthless, useless person... wouldn't that imply that those who follow you, who admire you, who pay you compliments, or who are attracted to you and love you... are losers as well?

Why would anyone be interested in a loser if they're not losers as well?

I'd say no. Take the other extreme, imagine someone is widely regarded as a 'decent chap' instead of a loser. I'm using Jesus as an example here - is everyone who follows him, admires him, compliments him etc a decent chap by virtue of this? No, of course not, they each have more to their individual personalities than this following.
Reply 3
Lib North
I'd say no. Take the other extreme, imagine someone is widely regarded as a 'decent chap' instead of a loser. I'm using Jesus as an example here - is everyone who follows him, admires him, compliments him etc a decent chap by virtue of this? No, of course not, they each have more to their individual personalities than this following.

I'd still say that everyone who finds Yakov Smirnoff amusing is a loser though.
Reply 4
A loser these days is someone you hate.
that's not a question of logic, that's a question of definition and opinion. I'd say no, because if you're admired people probably quite like you. So, you're working from a false premise.
Reply 6
Mylla
that's not a question of logic, that's a question of definition and opinion. I'd say no, because if you're admired people probably quite like you. So, you're working from a false premise.

I agree.

Anyway, there are very few worthless, useless people in the world, and "loser" is not what I call them. Furthermore, if you are getting compliments and being loved and followed by people, you are definately not one of the worthless, useless people of the world.

If we take the definition that a loser is someone who is not "cool", well, I think a lot of losers have more admirable qualities than "cool" people do, because they are spending their time on things other than trying to impress the other "cool" people.

And no, I do not think only other losers could love/admire a loser. All it takes is for the non-loser to not care what the "cool" people think and he/she is free to love/admire whomever he/she chooses.

Of course, the above is very "high school" ...so maybe it won't apply to you...but I think calling people "loser" and being depressed about it is kind of "high school" also, so I kind of stuck my image of the situation into that environment.
"Who's more of a fool, a fool or the fool who follows him?"

Proverb.

Latest

Trending

Trending