The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Starting at Plymouth 2015 as a mature student

Hello I'm Alex,

I am considering starting the Architecture course at Plymouth in September.
I will be 25 when I start, so I'll be a mature student and I'm a bit worried about being the old guy in a class of 18 year olds. Most of their website material seems to be aimed towards a much younger audience, putting me off a bit.

So I guess I'm wondering if there are any other mature students starting at Plymouth on this course or any other course in September??

Cheers
I wouldn't get too freaked out about it. It's unlikely you'll be the only mature student (according to UCAS, 44% of Plymouth students are mature students - ie 21 or over - which is a really high proportion) and there will probably be people who are older than you, too. I'm going to be studying Mental Health Nursing and I'll be 27 at the start of my course, and even in the small group at my interview, I was by no means the oldest.
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by somnolent
I wouldn't get too freaked out about it. It's unlikely you'll be the only mature student (according to UCAS, 44% of Plymouth students are mature students - ie 21 or over - which is a really high proportion) and there will probably be people who are older than you, too. I'm going to be studying Mental Health Nursing and I'll be 27 at the start of my course, and even in the small group at my interview, I was by no means the oldest.

That is good to hear, although I thought that I read that it was around 30%?

even still, I am going to attend the applicant day this weekend, hopefully I will see some students around our age their to settle my anxieties.

It's stupid I know, I wouldn't consider myself an old person usually, but when it comes to starting as an undergrad at 25 I feel like the younger students will see me as an 'old guy'
Original post by amorgan216
Hello I'm Alex,

I will be 25 when I start, so I'll be a mature student and I'm a bit worried about being the old guy in a class of 18 year olds. Most of their website material seems to be aimed towards a much younger audience, putting me off a bit.

So I guess I'm wondering if there are any other mature students starting at Plymouth on this course or any other course in September??

Cheers

Hello Alex,

Don't worry, there are a lot of mature students at Plymouth University. As Somnolent said, you are likely to find people older than you in your course when you join. From my own personal experience, a lot of students take a year or two out before joining university as well, so I'm sure you won't be surrounded by just groups of 18 year olds!

If you'd like to know more about life at the university, feel free to join our #ChatWithPlym by posting your questions here, a group of our current students, graduates and staff members will be on hand to answer you.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Kind regards
Bryan
Plymouth University Student Intern
Hello I'm Alex,

Cheers

Hey :smile:

I'm 24 and started as a mature student in Plymouth last September. I had exactly the same feelings about it as you do but I can honestly tell you that I've never been happier that I came to university. I've met so many other mature students on my course and am the second youngest out of my group of friends (we're all in our mid-late twenties).

I'm just finishing the extended science year 0 so will be starting my actual degree in September and I'll be the same age as you by then, so you definitely won't be the only oldie :P

Briony
Hey when I started my course last September, there was a woman in her forties, in a course of 90 18-20 something year olds. We all get on really well with her and everyone likes her so dont worry about it!

Also depending what course you are are on, you might find a lot of people in your age group. My bf (24) started enginneering this year and said a lot of people were around his age.
Reply 6
I'm 23 and starting my first year in September. Also have similar concerns but everyone tells me it'll be fine.

Looking forward to September so much. :biggrin:
Hey Alex,
I will also be 25 upon starting year 0 in Mechanical Engineering. I hear good things about Plymouth's mature student scene and I know the city well already, there are many things to do to cater for all ages and interests!

See you there!

Tommy
Reply 8
Hi Alex

I'm 43! (44 by the time my course starts) and have a place on the Digital Art & Technology course at Plymouth and hoping my wisdom will come in useful once I start mixing with 'the kids' :wink:
Reply 9
I live 45mins from Plymouth and regularly go there! Plymouth has fantastic nightlife and is a good size city with so many things to do. I'm not sure about the people in the uni, but it's very central to the city and incredibly modern! I know you'll love Plymouth.
I think you need to be an open minded person - who is willing to hang out with people younger than you :smile:
Reply 10
That is good to hear, although I thought that I read that it was around 30%?

even still, I am going to attend the applicant day this weekend, hopefully I will see some students around our age their to settle my anxieties.

It's stupid I know, I wouldn't consider myself an old person usually, but when it comes to starting as an undergrad at 25 I feel like the younger students will see me as an 'old guy'

Hey, I already study at Plymouth University and 50% of my course is over 21 and have undergrad students on my course who are in late 30s, 40s and some in 50s. The age of students really varies and quite a few students went on gap years or return to study later on. On my course and on some others I know 18-20 year olds in first year are the minority. So no need to worry.
:smile:
Hi everyone!

My name is Martin and I'm going to be starting studying conservation biology this September starting in year 1 at 27.

I was just wondering if anyone else was starting this year as a mature student or any mature students already there so I can have some familiar faces around when my course starts so I don't feel like a loner!

Please say hi!
I'll be starting second year chemistry at Plymouth, and I'm 41.
Don't worry about it. And if you happen along a hippie looking slightly lost, that'll be me. Come say hello. Good luck!
Reply 13
Original post by Coopermartin01
Hi everyone!

My name is Martin and I'm going to be starting studying conservation biology this September starting in year 1 at 27.

I was just wondering if anyone else was starting this year as a mature student or any mature students already there so I can have some familiar faces around when my course starts so I don't feel like a loner!

Please say hi!

Hi Martin

I am starting first year Conservation Biology in September and I am 39, so at least you wont be the oldest :biggrin: I am local and on hand if you need any info on the bright lights of Plymouth. Just message me or i'll see you in the welcome week.:smile:

All the best

Sean
Dude, I'm 35 and going back into education for the first time in 17 years :-) My housemate is in a similar boat, he's 32. It's mildly concerning that we will be almost twice the age of our peers, but we're bringing a wealth of experience. Plymouth is a cracking town to live in, I've been here almost 6 years now. You'll surely enjoy yourself :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending