The Student Room Group

Is Sociology a Mickey Mouse degree?

Curious.
What counts as a mickey mouse degree?

Is it respectable?
Do employers like the look of it?
Is it easy to get onto the GDL (law conversion course) with a BSc Sociology degree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's still better than philosophy or theology. not much, but still better
yes, of course it is.
Reply 3
It was certainly a mickey mouse subject at A level. If you get a Sociology degree from a top 10 university along with exceptional A-Level results and lots of extra curricular achievements you might be okay but stood next to someone with a Chemical Engineering or an Economics with Mathematics degree from a good uni for example might be problematic.
It's a beautiful subject. It deserves more credit in my opinion.

Respectable? No! Not at all - especially If you compare It to a Law or Mathematics degree.

The Law conversion should be no problem :smile: x
I've done a module in it at University of Manchester. It was the easiest module I'd ever done. No work required. 6 hours to do a 2,500 word essay and then a very simple exam. Do employers know this? Maybe.
Original post by wannabeaca
I've done a module in it at University of Manchester. It was the easiest module I'd ever done. No work required. 6 hours to do a 2,500 word essay and then a very simple exam. Do employers know this? Maybe.

That's really bad haha! What degree were you doing at the time then?
Original post by CharlotteJane45
That's really bad haha! What degree were you doing at the time then?

History and Economics. I thought I'd see what sociology was like. A bit of theory but it seemed very informal and lacking any structure. More needs to be done to improve its reputation as from my experience, it's clear that it was abit airy fairy
History and Economics. I thought I'd see what sociology was like. A bit of theory but it seemed very informal and lacking any structure. More needs to be done to improve its reputation as from my experience, it's clear that it was abit airy fairy

Yes It is informal. But it needs to be informal to get its point across - and to communicate effectively with the students learning Sociology.

Theories of society and topics in society don't necessarily need structure because sociology is such a wide subject. You can research anything in society and put it down as sociological - providing you use ridiculously long terminology that isn't even in the dictionary ha ha.

Yes its reputation is laughable. Which is understandable... God knows why it tried to be a science. That's hilarious.
Reply 9
God knows why it tried to be a science. That's hilarious.

It's not trying to be a science lmao.

More needs to be done to improve its reputation as from my experience, it's clear that it was abit airy fairy

You can't judge a whole subject based on one **** module that you did.

-

Sociology is really underrated and without it, our society is completely ****ed. Those that think Sociology is 'airy fairy' or 'useless' obviously have no clue about what it entails and don't have the intelligence to know that it opens many doors as it's such a broad subject, leading the students to gain loads of transferable skills.
Original post by scrunkie
It's not trying to be a science lmao.

You can't judge a whole subject based on one **** module that you did.

-

Sociology is really underrated and without it, our society is completely ****ed. Those that think Sociology is 'airy fairy' or 'useless' obviously have no clue about what it entails and don't have the intelligence to know that it opens many doors as it's such a broad subject, leading the students to gain loads of transferable skills.

No, I said that IT TRIED,to be a science - back in the late 1800's when Durkheim was writing:smile: - it's now a humanities subject. Some feel it is a social science... but i think it's a bit of both. Psychology is a science - but sociology - noo way. That's why sociology = BA and psychology = Bsc

How would our society be completely ****ed? I don't see how it would be - could you elaborate on that please. I agree with how it isn't useless - because I love sociology. As i said, I think it's beautiful and in depth. Requires a lot of thought. Because it's so broad, people criticise it s there is no 'structure'.
Curious.
What counts as a mickey mouse degree?

Is it respectable?
Do employers like the look of it?
Is it easy to get onto the GDL (law conversion course) with a BSc Sociology degree?

Yes it is a mickey mouse degree. However you can get onto a law conversion course with virtually any degree as long as it is a 2:1.

That said - having the GDL is one thing, getting a job as a solicitor is another. It is virtually impossible to get training contracts. Law schools are churning out graduates by the dozen for less and less jobs available. I know this because my boyfriend is a solicitor
Reply 12
No, I said that IT TRIED,to be a science - back in the late 1800's when Durkheim was writing:smile: - it's now a humanities subject. Some feel it is a social science... but i think it's a bit of both. Psychology is a science - but sociology - noo way. That's why sociology = BA and psychology = Bsc

How would our society be completely ****ed? I don't see how it would be - could you elaborate on that please. I agree with how it isn't useless - because I love sociology. As i said, I think it's beautiful and in depth. Requires a lot of thought. Because it's so broad, people criticise it s there is no 'structure'.

My sociology course is actually BSc so that was wrong xD
Reply 13
No
I do it at A Level and it's a piece of piss.
My sociology course is actually BSc so that was wrong xD

Oh I know but most universities have BA now! That's cool though, :smile:
Original post by jambojim97
I do it at A Level and it's a piece of piss.

So do I. But don't you find retaining all the information difficult?
So do I. But don't you find retaining all the information difficult?

Not particularly.
Original post by jambojim97
Not particularly.

Impressive :smile:
God knows why it tried to be a science.

In what sense isn't it a science? Plenty of institutions offer BSc degrees in Sociology.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending