The Student Room Group

UCLA Freshers Class of 2019

I don't see any main thread for people who got admitted into UCLA yet so I decided to make this!

Feel free to share about whether you are going to go there for sure, where else you have applied to, just the UK or the US, intended major (s), scores, thoughts...whatever that's slightly related really!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
If I don't to any of the Ivies I've applied to or to NYU I will definitely go to UCLA…
I've applied to a bunch of schools in US and UK, in UK have got offers from every university, and, as for now acceptance letters (US) from: Ohio State, UCSB, Brandeis and UCLA.
My SAT score is 2030 (660 CR, 660 Math, 710 Writing) and 740 from Spanish, 700 World Lit.
Oh, as an international IB student (from Poland) I consider myself really lucky for receiving so many offers and I wish you acceptance from your dream universities :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Adddish
If I don't to any of the Ivies I've applied to or to NYU I will definitely go to UCLA…
I've applied to a bunch of schools in US and UK, in UK have got offers from every university, and, as for now acceptance letters (US) from: Ohio State, UCSB, Brandeis and UCLA.
My SAT score is 2030 (660 CR, 660 Math, 710 Writing) and 740 from Spanish, 700 World Lit.
Oh, as an international IB student (from Poland) I consider myself really lucky for receiving so many offers and I wish you acceptance from your dream universities :smile:

Hey thanks for posting on this thread :smile: Congrats on all your offers so far! You've got really good SAT scores so I wouldn't be surprised! I honestly did a poorly for the main SAT. I think the only reason why unis would bother looking at my application is my SAT Chemistry (760) and A Level predictions. Thank you for your wishes and all the best for your application outcomes too! :biggrin:
Reply 3
My pleasure :smile:
Thanks, it is probably the most stressful time in my life right now.
And maybe you have great essays? I think they are the most important, for only by reading them the admissions staff can really get to know you. So if your SAT didn't go that well you should be double happy about the acceptance, because you can be almost certain they actually like you very much as a person and want you to enrich the university community, instead of choosing you on "being a nerd" basis!
Thanks as well :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by lizzyc501
I don't see any main thread for people who got admitted into UCLA yet so I decided to make this!

Feel free to share about whether you are going to go there for sure, where else you have applied to, just the UK or the US, intended major (s), scores, thoughts...whatever that's slightly related really!

Congrats! If you have any questions about LA, I'll be glad to answer them if I can. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by apple32
Congrats! If you have any questions about LA, I'll be glad to answer them if I can. :smile:

Hi :smile: Thank you for your post and offering your help!!! Would you happen to know anything about the Analytical Writing Placement Exam? As in the difficulty or what courses I would miss out without it? Apparently the website says I can do it in Fall 2015 but no date is specified (the only one I found was in June when I would be sitting my A-levels :frown:, same goes to sitting the SAT the 4th time for a higher score in Writing so I could be exempted from the exam) Otherwise don't worry about it; many thanks in advance.
Reply 6
Hi :smile: Thank you for your post and offering your help!!! Would you happen to know anything about the Analytical Writing Placement Exam? As in the difficulty or what courses I would miss out without it? Apparently the website says I can do it in Fall 2015 but no date is specified (the only one I found was in June when I would be sitting my A-levels :frown:, same goes to sitting the SAT the 4th time for a higher score in Writing so I could be exempted from the exam) Otherwise don't worry about it; many thanks in advance.

The exam should be similar to its SAT counterpart that you have taken. For international students I am sure they will send you communication about where and when you can take it. The Fall date is probably going to be before the quarter begins so that you know where you place and what class to register in for your English course.

If your future SAT exam doesn't yield the score you want, don't worry too much about it. You can just take it at the university. You should be spending more time with your studies and UK exams. If you don't take it in the Fall, you won't be able to register for any English classes. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to take the exam then. This way you can have more time to prepare for their exam, if you want.

Obviously you do have to take the exam. Don't put it off a year or else you wouldn't be able to take any English courses. You do want to get that out of the way. The knowledge will help with your essays and research papers in other classes.

If you want to know the specific date for the exam, you can contact UCLA's Writing Office. There should be a contact email on the page.
Reply 7
Original post by apple32
The exam should be similar to its SAT counterpart that you have taken. For international students I am sure they will send you communication about where and when you can take it. The Fall date is probably going to be before the quarter begins so that you know where you place and what class to register in for your English course.

If your future SAT exam doesn't yield the score you want, don't worry too much about it. You can just take it at the university. You should be spending more time with your studies and UK exams. If you don't take it in the Fall, you won't be able to register for any English classes. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to take the exam then. This way you can have more time to prepare for their exam, if you want.

Obviously you do have to take the exam. Don't put it off a year or else you wouldn't be able to take any English courses. You do want to get that out of the way. The knowledge will help with your essays and research papers in other classes.

If you want to know the specific date for the exam, you can contact UCLA's Writing Office. There should be a contact email on the page.

Thank you for your advice and reminders they are very useful. I have another question- I am planning to apply to stay in theme communities and have to write an essay for that but what kind of things do they expect me to put? I have certain aspirations and skills but I don't know how to phrase myself correctly. Is it meant to be really formal? Thank you again!
Reply 8
Is there a facebook group for UCLA offer holders?
Reply 9
Original post by DCMed96
Is there a facebook group for UCLA offer holders?

There's one here made by admitted students https://www.facebook.com/groups/527947914009346/ , think you need to wait for UCLA to send an invitation to you to access the official Welcome App though :smile:
There's one here made by admitted students https://www.facebook.com/groups/527947914009346/ , think you need to wait for UCLA to send an invitation to you to access the official Welcome App though :smile:

Yeah i got that email, just joined!! :P
Thank you for your advice and reminders they are very useful. I have another question- I am planning to apply to stay in theme communities and have to write an essay for that but what kind of things do they expect me to put? I have certain aspirations and skills but I don't know how to phrase myself correctly. Is it meant to be really formal? Thank you again!

I would write it in the same style as your personal statement. They're going to create a community that is diverse within that theme. They want to know how you are going to contribute to the community so explain some of your stronger interests within that theme. If you know what you are specifically interested studying within your major, you can talk about that.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest