The Student Room Group
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London

Loring Hall or Surrey House Annexe?

So I've firmed my conditional offer at Goldsmiths(Media and English), so I now have to decide on one of the halls. I've narrowed it down to these two, but I have no idea which to pick. From what I've heard and read, they're basically opposites of each other - one is loud and rowdy with almost 400 students(Loring Hall), and the other has only 48 students and is quiet and boring(Surrey House Annexe). The issue is I don't want somewhere too rowdy or too boring! Obviously it depends on my flatmates, etc, but can anyone give me any advice or share their experiences? Help would be much appreciated!

Also, is it true that the halls only have wired internet access?
Reply 1
Oh yeah, and what's the difference between standard, medium and large rooms?
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London
Reply 2
Loring isn't rowdy. Ofc on the weekends at around 10pm everyone is leaving to go out but Security shuts down any loud parties really quickly. I don't really know anyone from Surrey House annexe and I'm pretty sociable so I think its a little quiet. Just try to ask for a room thats not facing the main road and you'll be fine :smile:
I'm currently living in Loring. I've lived here before too, and Surrey Annexe. Best year was at the Annexe. The people were great. But it changes every year. I've usually loved my time in Loring (was here last year too) but this time it's just... dead. Security has changed a little so they're more strict with parties and noise but the students were a lot friendly in my other years. I spend a lot more time with my past flatmates than I do with these lot.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Which block are you in? I have friends in block A,B and C :')
Hey, I'm in block F! :smile:
Reply 6
sweet im in chesterman :smile:
Nice, I've never lived there. I've had friends who lived in Chesterman. Are you planning to live there next year too?
Reply 8
Original post by godivaontherocks
Nice, I've never lived there. I've had friends who lived in Chesterman. Are you planning to live there next year too?

Maybe. *Trying* to move into a house with friends but can see it all falling apart. If I stayed her I'd wanna be on the top floor because i'm sick of stompy who lives above me :frown:
Original post by wofih
Maybe. *Trying* to move into a house with friends but can see it all falling apart. If I stayed her I'd wanna be on the top floor because i'm sick of stompy who lives above me :frown:

haha you think that's bad, try living next to a guy who has sex really loudly in the next room. The sounds I heard from the both of them... her banshee shrieks were bad enough, but that slapping noise... the WORST! Even worst, the guy wanted to move in with me this year. I was like, no way. Not if you're going to have your girlfriend over and do THAT every time I'm trying to sleep or write an essay! Hey, do you get foxes outside your window every night too? It happened at Surrey House and at Loring too. I've always wondered if that was the case with every hall.
Reply 10
Original post by godivaontherocks
haha you think that's bad, try living next to a guy who has sex really loudly in the next room. The sounds I heard from the both of them... her banshee shrieks were bad enough, but that slapping noise... the WORST! Even worst, the guy wanted to move in with me this year. I was like, no way. Not if you're going to have your girlfriend over and do THAT every time I'm trying to sleep or write an essay! Hey, do you get foxes outside your window every night too? It happened at Surrey House and at Loring too. I've always wondered if that was the case with every hall.

Ive seen that friendly fox in Loring but all we get is the neighbors cats having fights and everyone in chesterman trying to get them to shut up :colondollar:
I've received an offer for journalism from goldsmiths and now I'm trying to decide between the halls :frown: which one is best out of chesterman, dean or loring?
Reply 12
Original post by hollypatrick
I've received an offer for journalism from goldsmiths and now I'm trying to decide between the halls :frown: which one is best out of chesterman, dean or loring?

Dean house is only for post graduate students
Loring hall is a big complex bout 400 rooms?? with 4/6 people a flat, Chesterman only has around 100 with 8 people per flat.
Chesterman rooms tend to be bigger, but if you get a corner room in Loring it can be quite big as well my friend got one and its bigger than mine in Chesterman literally massive)
Chesterman tends to be a bit quieter, in the sense that there are parties here but 99% of the time you can till get to sleep. And the security here is a bit more relaxed than Loring.
Chesterman deliveries (like package not letters) goes to Loring hall management though and can be annoying if you just want to get in bed.
The en-suites are ****e everywhere Loring or Chesterman though i alway recommend having your own toilet even if they do suck
Loring you'll meet a lot more people

I'm jut trying to give you as much info as I can
(edited 9 years ago)
thanks so much! This really helped loads :smile:
I'm between Chesterman and Loring. I really can't decide between them, as you say 'Loring you'll meet a lot more people' which is surely an advantage but being in a slightly quieter environment is better :confused:

Original post by wofih
x
Original post by SophF_rth
I'm between Chesterman and Loring. I really can't decide between them, as you say 'Loring you'll meet a lot more people' which is surely an advantage but being in a slightly quieter environment is better :confused:

Loring has been very quiet this year. Raymont hall has been the party hall this time. I think this is because they've changed some of the security for Loring this year so they shut down some of our parties early when we make too much noise after midnight.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending