The Student Room Group

A Level Choices!!!!!!!!!

I'm currently in year 11 and have decided to do Chem Biol History and Geography next year for AS. Im really worried that the work load will be too much or if they are a weird combo! I have heard horror stories about Chem, does anyone take it? I am currently predicted all A\A* 's at GCSE but I'm a natural worrier! In the future I am
unsure what I want to do so I want to keep all options open, hopefully medicine will be a possibility with these choices, or law?

Sorry for babbling was just wondering what anyone thought of my chosen subject:-)

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've heard taking chem is difficult without maths, but I have no first hand experience.

Normally you would drop one subject for your a level year so medicine and law don't seem like very likely careers to come from any of your options :s Though it depends what you mean, for example I am taking a medical based course without very relevant a levels but it isn't a 'proper' medical course.

For law I would expect something more like English lit or lang, politics, economics (or law!!) etc. But I don't know how relevant your subjects have to be to go onto studying law.

I know it's super difficult choosing AS/a level subjects when you don't know what you want to do. They aren't the be al and end all unless you do plan on becoming a doctor (but even then you can take an access course later on I think). So I wouldn't stress too much :smile:
I do Chem and Bio along with 2 other's and I don't find it that bad. For Bio, it's mostly the learning of content - there is TONNES of it, but it's manageable. Chem is a bit more difficult, but not impossible. Perseverance is key.:smile:

For medicine, your choices are perfect. Chem is a must, but only some unis ask for Bio (heard that from my two friends who both applied for medicine). For Law, I don't believe that there are any mandatory subjects across the board, but I've heard that essay subjects like History or English are helpful.:3
Reply 3
Original post by tallandblondish
I'm currently in year 11 and have decided to do Chem Biol History and Geography next year for AS. Im really worried that the work load will be too much or if they are a weird combo! I have heard horror stories about Chem, does anyone take it? I am currently predicted all A\A* 's at GCSE but I'm a natural worrier! In the future I am
unsure what I want to do so I want to keep all options open, hopefully medicine will be a possibility with these choices, or law?

Sorry for babbling was just wondering what anyone thought of my chosen subject:-)

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a good variety of subjects and will definitely keep your options open if your still slightly unsure which path to take regarding medicine/law

I'd say A levels are a jump up from GCSE especially in the breath of content covered. Talking from experience, I'd say don't automatically presume if your an A/A* student at GCSE that your automatically going to be an A/A* student at a level. This was something I quickly learned with my first set of January AS results when I was taking my a levels. The mark schemes are a lot more specific at a level and this is where it differentiates candidates. I can only talk about this in regards to Biology and Chemistry since I didn't take History or Geography at A level.

Chemistry isn't as bad as everyone makes out to be honest. I personally found it to be one of the easier a levels in my opinion. Are you doing triple science? If so, I'd say if you can cope with that level currently it will make life slightly more manageable during your first year since I noticed there was a lot of crossover. I found Chemistry to be one of those subjects where exam technique was key and you can only gain this through doing past papers (Just like any other subject per se).

Good luck!
Chemistry is fairly difficult but not too difficult.
It requires some memorisation of content but not anywhere near as much as biology. It requires analytical and mathematical skills, but not so much as maths or physics.
You shouldn't struggle doing chemistry without doing maths, but you will definitely find A2 chemistry easier if you do maths (not required but helps).

If you enjoy these subject then take them. I'm not sure about history and geography, but biology and chemistry are enjoyable and interesting subjects.

I'm not sure about law, but you should be ok for medicine if you take biology and chemistry to A2.

I've done A-level maths and am doing A2 further maths, biology, chemistry and physics.
Reply 5
Hey,

I think as long as you're willing to work hard you can deffo achieve your grades - its the same with most a-level subjects :smile:

Chem and Bio are tough in terms of content but history & geography provide a good contrast - history is a lot of revision but the coursework shouldn't overload you as it's your only essay subject (trust me, I took 4, bad move..!) Geography is typically an 'easier' subject, less academic than the other three anyway.

If you're looking to do med then your choices are fine, I might consider dropping geog over history at A2 as it's slightly less academic? And for law you'll most definitely need to keep history as they like a mix of subjects, but prefer at least one essay subject. You've kept your options open so see how you find the a-level courses and work out what you enjoy best.

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by tallandblondish

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your choices will be quite acceptable to universities. Chemistry gets really tough at A2 but it's necessary for Medicine. Don't worry about the workload. If you want to do something like Medicine or Law you will need to work hard to achieve the top grades to get into those courses. If you put in enough effort you will realise it's not hard as you though it was.
Hi thanks all the for responses I found them really helpful! I think I will stick with these subjects as I think as some of you have mentioned, contrasting chem and biol which are hard with an essay (history) then having geog as a back up seems pretty good sense. Im good at Maths gcse but i dont think id be committed enough for a level!
Thanks again

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest