The Student Room Group

GCSEs and medicine

Original post by AMELIA-x
Year of Entry: 2014

Deferred?
No

GCSEs: 1
A*, 7A's, 3B's

Took a year out in between my GCSE's and AS Levels as I had to have heart-lung surgery!

AS Grades: ABBC (C in physics)

A2 Predictions: AAAb

UKCAT: 735 Band 1

Work Experien​ce:
3 months Charity Shop
2 weeks local hospital ward
1 year working at local value store
Local GP Patient Participation Group
Widening Participation course (BrightMed Compact)
I also reflected a lot in my personal statement about my experiences as a patient and how seeing situations from both views enabled me to a have a balanced view on becoming a doctor and the role of a doctor

Extra Curricular:
Debating club at school
Piano Grade 7
Teaching Piano to Autistic Children
Tutoring GCSE Maths

Universities applied to and decisions
:

HYMS -
Offer AAAb - Firm :biggrin:
St. Georges-
Offer AAAb- Declined
Glasgow- Rejection after interview - Placed on waiting list for results day
Newcastle - Rejection before interview
Newcastle (Pharmacology) -
Offer- AAB - Insurance :smile:

The best advice I could give is that you don't have to have straight A's at AS and you don't have to have shadowed the worlds best surgeon to go get into medical school! Just reflect on the work experience you do have :smile: If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me :biggrin:

EDIT 17/08/14:
So results day was eventful, I checked track before I went to collect my results and saw that I had got in! Absolutely over the moon :biggrin: When I went to collect my results I saw I got ABBb, no idea how I managed to still get a place :tongue: All the advice I can give is work your absolute hardest and try and make your interview the best it can be and that can overrule poor academics (I believe this was the case for me ahaha :colondollar:)

i really want to get into medicine but my GCSEs will be quite bad. By bad I mean only a few As and Bs and maybe an A*. Would medical schools like hull York overlook GCSEs and concentrate more on a levels and work experience. I really really want to get into medical school and I don't know what to do if I dont.
Original post by Menesht12
i really want to get into medicine but my GCSEs will be quite bad. By bad I mean only a few As and Bs and maybe an A*. Would medical schools like hull York overlook GCSEs and concentrate more on a levels and work experience. I really really want to get into medical school and I don't know what to do if I dont.

Hi, I've started this thread for you as you posted in the 'no discussion thread'.

It sounds like you need to do some research into GCSEs requirements for medical schools. Have a look at the medicine wiki to get started, or on the universities websites.

The main thing is you haven't sat your exams yet. Start working your butt off and get the best grades possible (although with the grades you've suggested you would still have some options).
So you think I could still become a doctor with my suggested grades? There is literally nothing more I want in this world apart from good health, family and being a doctor. By the way, I can't find the thread you opened. Thank you so much for replying.

Then work hard and get the grades.

Btw you will want more from this world when you get what you want
There is literally nothing more I want from this world. I don't want to become a doctor because of money. I want to do it so I can save lives and reduce people's pain.

I am really scared of not achieving my grades. Do you think 45 days before my gcses exams is enough?

You can save lives by being a paramedic or reduce people's pain by being a nurse. Doesn't matter I'm not questioning your motives

45 days? Nah you need 46.

Look doesn't matter how many days just work hard, do past papers, revise with mates, focus on your weak spots.
I like the hospital environment and being in a hospital doing late night shifts, that's why I am pursuing this goal. Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it.

^ A commonly cited reason why people who want a family DON'T choose those jobs.
Reply 5
Get some decent work experience. Then you will realise that in being a doctor (dependent on specialty to a degree), you do very little "life saving" unfortunately.
So you think I could still become a doctor with my suggested grades? There is literally nothing more I want in this world apart from good health, family and being a doctor. By the way, I can't find the thread you opened. Thank you so much for replying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending