The Student Room Group

PGCE MFL - add a second language

Hi! I am currently applying for a PGCE in MFL, and I am particularly interested in the courses offered at Reading University, Kingston and portsmouth (because of their position and the entry requirements for foreign students). I would like to do Spanish with French, but apparently in Reading and Kingston they only offer one language (which in my case would be Spanish). Does anybody know if this actually means that you only qualify to teach just Spanish? Would I be able to add French as a second language during my placement and therefore to get a job as a Spanish and French teacher?
Thank you in advance!
Original post by stefania89
Hi! I am currently applying for a PGCE in MFL, and I am particularly interested in the courses offered at Reading University, Kingston and portsmouth (because of their position and the entry requirements for foreign students). I would like to do Spanish with French, but apparently in Reading and Kingston they only offer one language (which in my case would be Spanish). Does anybody know if this actually means that you only qualify to teach just Spanish? Would I be able to add French as a second language during my placement and therefore to get a job as a Spanish and French teacher?
Thank you in advance!

Hi. I have an offer for Spanish & Management at Reading and I think you can take on any other language during the first year. I'm either considering continuing with French or Portuguese or studying Italian as a beginner. Hope that helps? Have to been to an open day?
Original post by stefania89
Thank you in advance!

As far as I am aware, every single provider requires you to offer two languages. Although it may not be written on the UCAS page you will need to offer 2. I think there are very few, if any, that only require one language (especially if your main language isn't French). Basically, you'll be asked which second language you can offer and if it's not good enough and they make you an offer you will have to go on a summer course to improve your level before the PGCE starts (this course will be free for you!).

Good luck!
Reply 3
I was interviwed by two different providers . One of them offered two languages (Spanish + French/German) and the other one only one. However, if you want to, they give you the opportunity to teach a second language. I think the best option would be to ask them directly or wait for the interview and find out (but I wouldn't choose this option).

¡Mucha suerte!
Even if your PGCE degree title is only in one subject, you are qualified to teach. What subjects you end up teaching depends on what your employer requires you to do.

The degree title of your PGCE is irrelevant, and the pedagogy for Spanish and French is the same, so don't worry about the aspect if it.

But obviously in order to teach effectively (and feel more confident), you need to be secure in your subject knowledge of both languages you offer.

If you need to brush up your French, I would contact the university directly and ask if they would be able to send you on a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course. I did one of these for Spanish, in the August before starting my PGCE, and I would definitely recommend it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending