The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's College or Bristol?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
Don't waste your breath, this guy loves masturbating over league tables. That is, quite literally, all he speaks about on here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I laughed way too much at this. :laugh:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by Ratach
I'm basically saying it is unlikely that a future employer will Google "university rankings by reputation", come across that particular table and decide who to recruit on that basis. Plus since you did not attempt to dispute the last and most important point in my initial response, I interpret it as you also agree OP should ignore all of this and just choose where he actually wants to go. Your rankings may even be useful if he wants to convince his parents that KCL is better than Bristol should he decides to go there.

What that ranking is telling you is that top employers (both recruiters and executives) have been surveyed and they have stated the universities they like to recruit from.

That is what is in their head. If they are not Googling, what is in their head is what they will use. So it makes very much good sense to consider those universities if you want good employment and to have the profile to progress in your career with executives.

In regards to your undisputed last statement, the rankings used to be owned and published through The New York Times in its first 2 years. I don't know why the authors and NYT parted ways. But it is definitely not a ranking to dismiss because "you" don't know it. It is frequently reported by the BBC, Telegragh and Times Higher Education when it is released.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
Don't waste your breath, this guy loves masturbating over league tables. That is, quite literally, all he speaks about on here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have told you to stay off my balls and stop chasing the output of my mastubation which you are obsessed with.

Calm down and don't get too excited now.
Original post by LutherVan
What that ranking is telling you is that top employers (both recruiters and executives) have been surveyed and they have stated the universities they like to recruit from.

That is what is in their head. If they are not Googling, what is in their head is what they will use. So it makes very much good sense to consider those universities if you want good employment and to have the profile to progress in your career with executives.

In regards to your undisputed last statement, the rankings used to be owned and published through The New York Times in its first 2 years. I don't know why the authors and NYT parted ways. But it is definitely not a ranking to dismiss because "you" don't know it. It is frequently reported by the BBC, Telegragh and Times Higher Education when it is released.

The undisputed last statement I referred to was this one:

Original post by Ratach

just choose where you think you will be most happy because even if KCL hypothetically had a better reputation than Bristol, a high 2:1 or a 1st from Bristol would put you in a much better position than a half-assed 2:2 from KCL.

So even if there is a difference between the employability of KCL and Bristol graduates, it isn't significant enough to be the main basis of one's decision. A happy university life with high grades will give OP better career prospects than any arbitrary value attached to a university's name.
Original post by Ratach
The undisputed last statement I referred to was this one:

So even if there is a difference between the employability of KCL and Bristol graduates, it isn't significant enough to be the main basis of one's decision. A happy university life with high grades will give OP better career prospects than any arbitrary value attached to a university's name.

I agree.
Reply 25
Bristol on par with UCL? Well I needed a good laugh.

OP: If you have the wealth to sustain a good lifestyle in central London, trust me you will have the time of your life.
Original post by queen-bee
King's cos I enjoyed my time there as an undergrad

hi im thinking of firming kings but the cost of accommodation puts me off. How much did you pay for rent each year?
Original post by productofpain
hi im thinking of firming kings but the cost of accommodation puts me off. How much did you pay for rent each year?

No rent. I lIved rent free in our family home,I'm a Londoner anyway
Reply 28
As a legal employer for 30 years I look at university tables and choices among other indicators when reviewing CVs and it is generally a good guide. It is by no means an absolute rule but I tend to find that non-London redbrick university students are better candidates in the long run. Although this is entirely anecdotal, I suspect it is because undergraduates get more freedom and build up stronger social groups in the smaller university cities. If you are living above a news agent in Manor Park, 1 hour from college and 40 minutes from your nearest mates, people don't get the social and emotional development of living on say White Ladies Lane in Bristol or Pennsylvania Rd in Exeter. Law recruitment is not only about the course and more about candidate maturity and social skills.

Quick Reply

Latest