The Student Room Group

informed uni of withdrawal/still getting payments

Guys i'm in a right palava!

I started at Somerset College in September last year, I attended for 4 weeks and left a week before my first assessment in October/November. I made the college very aware of me not attending anymore, I made several phone calls and sent several emails.. They informed me that it was their job to contact Student Finance..

I then received my January payment of about £2400

I'm about to get my April payment of the same...

What on earth do I do?!!
Reply 1
1) Don't spend any of it - Student Finance will want it all back at once.
2) Phone Student Finance and tell them - don't rely on the college, who clearly haven't done it.
Original post by Jimbob1710
Guys i'm in a right palava!

I started at Somerset College in September last year, I attended for 4 weeks and left a week before my first assessment in October/November. I made the college very aware of me not attending anymore, I made several phone calls and sent several emails.. They informed me that it was their job to contact Student Finance..

I then received my January payment of about £2400

I'm about to get my April payment of the same...

What on earth do I do?!!

Hi they will probably demand it all back i was in a similar situation in 2012 however through no fault of my own i ended up spending some money, they demanded it all back however i could only pay back 1450 and they accepted that and put the rest on my over all uni debt which ill eventually pay back. What are you doing to do now if you don't mind me asking ?
Reply 3
hmm.. i mean if they could just add it onto my other years of student finance; Id be more than happy with that!

I have, happened to spend some of it. I dont plan on spending any of the April instalment.
Reply 4
Original post by Klix88
1) Don't spend any of it - Student Finance will want it all back at once.
2) Phone Student Finance and tell them - don't rely on the college, who clearly haven't done it.

Can you prove that this is exactly what will happen? This is my fear
Call you college again and ask to speak to their student records team/person. Inform them of the date you left the college - this WILL be on their records. Then follow this phone call up with an email so they also have it in writing - make sure you request a read recipt on this.

Contact student finance yourself the next day and ask them to confirm your college has told them you have withdrawn. They will then start the process of taking the money back!

Keep on at your college. I know it's a pain, but it you have called and followed up with an email they will HAVE to get it sorted. Be a pain in the arse if you have to.

Make sure you get the name of both the student finance person and the person you speak to at your college. Then if you need to do any chasing up you have something to roll with!
[QUOTE="Jimbob1710;54547407"]hmm.. i mean if they could just add it onto my other years of student finance; Id be more than happy with that!

I have, happened to spend some of it. I dont plan on spending any of the April instalment.[/QUOTE
yo the reason why i asked u if you're intending on going back to uni or if you have a job career your working in now, is because you dont actually have to pay it back ! you could just say you didn't intend to leave uni bla bla etc and u have no money to pay back. I had to pay back as for some unknown reason i returned to uni lol
Reply 7
Oh no i dont intend on ever going back to uni

i was kinda hoping for the good news that i can keep the money and they'll just add it to my outstanding debt from previous years
Original post by Jimbob1710
Oh no i dont intend on ever going back to uni

i was kinda hoping for the good news that i can keep the money and they'll just add it to my outstanding debt from previous years

well then from someone who knows do not contact them nor say anything, when they get in touch with you say theres no way you can repay it.... they will either add it on to the payments u make in the future or will want £5 a month or a week or something immediately...... what made you leave can i ask ? I may be in a similar situation

Quick Reply

Latest