The Student Room Group

Jeremy Clarkson dropped from Top Gear

Clarkson's contract will not be renewed after a physical altercation with a producer

Jeremy Clarkson's contract will not be renewed after an "unprovoked physical attack" on a Top Gear producer, the BBC's director general has confirmed.
Tony Hall said he had "not taken this decision lightly" and recognised it would "divide opinion". However, he added "a line has been crossed" and he "cannot condone what has happened on this occasion".

Clarkson was suspended on 10 March, following what was called a "fracas" with Top Gear producer Oisin Tymon. The row, which took place in a Yorkshire hotel, was said to have occurred because no hot food was provided for him following a day's filming. An internal investigation began last week, led by Ken MacQuarrie, the director of BBC Scotland. It found that Mr Tymon took himself to hospital after he was subject to an "unprovoked physical and verbal attack".

"During the physical attack Oisin Tymon was struck, resulting in swelling and bleeding to his lip. The verbal abuse was sustained over a longer period, both at the time of the physical attack and subsequently." The verbal abuse "contained the strongest expletives and threats to sack" Mr Tymon, who believed he had lost his job, Mr MacQuarrie noted in his report.

The "physical attack lasted around 30 seconds and was halted by the intervention of a witness," he added.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32052736
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Correct decision
A perfectly justified response, and probably much overdue.

BBC
The row was said to have occurred because no hot food was provided for him following a day's filming.

An internal investigation began last week, led by Ken MacQuarrie, the director of BBC Scotland. It found that Mr Tymon took himself to hospital after he was subject to an "unprovoked physical and verbal attack".

"During the physical attack Oisin Tymon was struck, resulting in swelling and bleeding to his lip. The verbal abuse was sustained over a longer period, both at the time of the physical attack and subsequently."

The verbal abuse "contained the strongest expletives and threats to sack" Mr Tymon, who believed he had lost his job, Mr MacQuarrie noted in his report.

The "physical attack lasted around 30 seconds and was halted by the intervention of a witness," he added.
Good, the guy was a douchebag for bullying(hitting and verbally abusing) someone and the fact that some people think he can get away is pretty sad.
If he just sexually abused children,

he might have kept his job !
Looks like it's goodbye to one of the few BBC programmes I actually watch aside from the news. Top Gear without Clarkson just won't work at all.

He shouldn't have been able to get away with punching a producer, but I'm not sure whether it could have been sorted out without destroying one of the BBC's most successful programmes.
Reply 6
Although he was a bit of jerk sometimes, Top Gear will never be the same without him. Hammond and May may also decide to leave too which will be even worse.
Original post by RFowler
He shouldn't have been able to get away with punching a producer, but I'm not sure whether it could have been sorted out without destroying one of the BBC's most successful programmes.

It is sad because he is a good entertainer, but there's only so many final warnings one can be on!
Reply 8
Justice prevails
To be fair I can see why the bbc did it. They had to be seen to uphold their standards and sacking a man, however popular he may be, because he punched a producer was the correct decision.

However, I love top gear and part of that is because the three presenters have such good chemistry. James and Richard already said they wouldn't do it without jeremy so what's to happen?

I would love it if the three of them started a new motoring show on itv. Or the bbc need to realise top gear won't work at all now and they ought to sell it to itv.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qasidb
Hammond and May may also decide to leave too which will be even worse.

Or maybe better, as they could go to a different channel and make basically the same show under a different name.
Sacked over nothing. The show is nothing without him. The BBC clearly isn't interested in making lots of money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I doubt I'll be watching Top Gear now if it does continue. But it, of course, was the right decision. The same rules should apply to him that apply to any workforce and although I love the programme, I would be concerned if he wasn't punished for what he had done.
shame the show will probably be cancelled or struggle to survive but the right outcome happened. Clarkson is a tit and you have to hold him to standards that would otherwise be applied to the public.
I can understand why the BBC got so much flack for it.

The reason why Top Gear is so successful is because it one of the few shows where middle aged Males can act juvenile without being reprimanded about being thoughtful, PC or whatever. Someone like Clarkson would have been demoted a long time ago if he was in another show.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
I'm sad that its the end of one of my favourite shows, I've loved Top Gear over the last 10 years with those 3, I think it would have to be the long trips that were my favourites, like the Africa trips or the American road trips or the Vietnam trips. But its the correct decision as far as I'm concerned, no way should he have been able to keep his job after this, no matter who he is, and I find it a bit ridiculous how many people still seem to believe he should have kept his job regardless, he could have killed someone and people would still would be signing petitions for him to keep his job :rolleyes:

Will be interesting to see who they get in to replace him and presumably May and Hammond too, but whoever it is, I can see the new format being doomed to failure really.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by RFowler
Or maybe better, as they could go to a different channel and make basically the same show under a different name.

It will be called, "High Gear"
Reply 17
Original post by Juicy J
Sacked over nothing. The show is nothing without him. The BBC clearly isn't interested in making lots of money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you class assault as nothing?
Even without jeremy it'll still be better than our version of top gear lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qasidb
Do you class assault as nothing?

He didn't "assault" anyone. Assault is a very strong word. It was nothing. I can't BELIEVE they sacked him over this, shocking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending