The Student Room Group

People with lots of A* targets: Do you think you will achieve them?

I have 9 A* targets and was wondering if others with high expectations think it is realistic that you will achieve them all or almost all.
I think it's too much to do the revision to get the grades in every single one of them so I'm choosing half of them to revise lots in.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends. There are I think three options that A* students in my year are following.

1: 70% of A* predicted students I know are following route of: Been revising for absolutely ages, not going to stop now, it only gets harder as you get closer to exams.

2: 29% seem to pick this: I'm going to do quite a lot of revision in the subjects I need to improve in, and hope to do well in the other subjects with limited and late revision.

3: Then there's me. I haven't touched any form of hard work for the past year or so. No school-work, no revision, just Dota 2 and CS GO. I've always stuck with my core beliefs of Do it on the day, and Do the bare minimum, and that seems to work for me. So day before exams begin, I should probably attempt some work.

If you follow path 1 or 2 you should do very well. If you are like me, prepare to be quite surprised like I am, although hoping for 3 A*, rest A except Chemistry B
Original post by Sint
I have 9 A* targets and was wondering if others with high expectations think it is realistic that you will achieve them all or almost all.
I think it's too much to do the revision to get the grades in every single one of them so I'm choosing half of them to revise lots in.

Go for it Man! I have the same target 9A* with 95% . aim for the best naturally your shot will be near somewhere
Original post by hasnain1319
Go for it Man! I have the same target 9A* with 95% . aim for the best naturally your shot will be near somewhere

I'm also aiming for a similar proportion of A*s, would you say there's still enough time to achieve it? :frown:
Reply 4
I'm going for 13. I think I'll get 11 or 12. Computing and History are the subjects I'm most concerned about, as Computing is 60% Controlled Assessment and my teacher is a ridiculously harsh marker on everyone, while History simply has high grade boundaries.
I'm predicted for all A*s but I ain't going to be getting them :P I'll try my hardest but I'll be happy with 4A*s and the rest As
Have you started revising?

I've got the same targets but I'm predicted 3 As for English lit, lang and maths and a B for french :/

Im the type of person to expect nothing less than A*s so I think as long as i put efficient time and effort into revison i hope to achieve almost all of them :smile: It's only realistic if i put the work in now- I DO NOT want to be in the position where i know i could have achieved better

TBH i dont think its too late to get A* in everything, it seems youre at the top at your class anyway :wink:
Original post by kimberry50
Have you started revising?

I've got the same targets but I'm predicted 3 As for English lit, lang and maths and a B for french :/

Im the type of person to expect nothing less than A*s so I think as long as i put efficient time and effort into revison i hope to achieve almost all of them :smile: It's only realistic if i put the work in now- I DO NOT want to be in the position where i know i could have achieved better

TBH i dont think its too late to get A* in everything, it seems youre at the top at your class anyway :wink:

I'm in the same boat as you :smile:, hoping to achieve as many A*s as possible. I started revising in mid-March, what about you? Also, would you say that at this stage 4-6hrs of revision is required?
Reply 8
Original post by Diligence
I'm also aiming for a similar proportion of A*s, would you say there's still enough time to achieve it? :frown:

YES! Go for it I got 10A*s 2As last year by starting slightly later than now! Pace yourself and papers! Good luck :smile:
Original post by hann4h
YES! Go for it I got 10A*s 2As last year by starting slightly later than now! Pace yourself and papers! Good luck :smile:

Thanks! Were all your notes completed by this stage?
I'm in the same boat as you :smile:, hoping to achieve as many A*s as possible. I started revising in mid-March, what about you? Also, would you say that at this stage 4-6hrs of revision is required?

Yay :smile: Started last week for 2 hours/night, but stepping up to 6 over the holidays and then 4/5h back at school depending on homework deadlines.

Also, how are you structuring your revision? Are you getting a whole sbject done, in, say a week? or topic by topic?
Yay :smile: Started last week for 2 hours/night, but stepping up to 6 over the holidays and then 4/5h back at school depending on homework deadlines.

Also, how are you structuring your revision? Are you getting a whole sbject done, in, say a week? or topic by topic?

OMG, you don't know how relieved reading this has made me!

I'm "predicted" (not gonna get lol) all As and 3 A*s.... Apparently my school doesn't like predicting A*s to people because it means people slack off because they become over confident:colondollar:

Everyone else on here is like yeah min of 4 hours a night on school nights and I just don't have time atm!
What with coursework and tons of homework

I have so much more to make revision notes for, I'm up to as far as we have studied for sciences I think
Literature though ... Have so much to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
All of my subjects (11) have a target of A or A*... I feel so pressured :s-smilie:

The majority of these I am nowhere near achieving, for example over the past 2 years in History I haven't achieved anything above a C and my teacher still believes I'll get an A or A*... what?

I still haven't started revising for any exam because I'm still doing a lot of homework and coursework, feel like time is running out a bit :eek:
Reply 13
Thanks! Were all your notes completed by this stage?

Class notes??? We were doing biology and other subjects almost right up to the date! Revision notes I made as I went along but I didn't use them... I made more posters in Easter holidays and used revision guides!!
Original post by jackmolineux
OMG, you don't know how relieved reading this has made me!

I'm "predicted" (not gonna get lol) all As and 3 A*s.... Apparently my school doesn't like predicting A*s to people because it means people slack off because they become over confident:colondollar:

Everyone else on here is like yeah min of 4 hours a night on school nights and I just don't have time atm!
What with coursework and tons of homework

I have so much more to make revision notes for, I'm up to as far as we have studied for sciences I think
Literature though ... Have so much to do

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't put yourself down! ofc you will with enough revision :smile:

Ya coursework deadline today so I've been stressing all week and getting practically no revision done (and procrastinating on TSR - NOT a good thing :P

Wait, do you mean you've written up all your science revision notes?? Argg so much to do!! and don't even talk about english lit... haha
No.

I'm feeling so demotivated right now for lots of reasons. (below are only some)

If you're predicted high grades, you come under greater scrutiny by my school as they want to push you ever closer to 100%. You're also placed under "special measures" which means every piece of work is graded and recorded. Imagine being tracked like that in every single one of your subjects. It's really not a nice feeling...

My mocks were good - 7A*s, 3As and 1B - although I just feel like I won't get those grades.

There are the government changes to a multitude of things, and we all think the grade boundaries will be slightly lower because of this. I bet you they won't, they'll be higher. They want as few of us as possible to get A*s, and being told that just really makes me feel sh*t.

I'm not going to lie, I honestly have never felt this sad and demotivated in my life. The pressure has just gotten too much (and is ever increasing) and my school is making things as difficult as possible. I'll be lucky to get 1 A* at this rate. I just want to give up and not turn up to any of my exams... :frown:
Reply 16
Original post by ArlenM
Depends. There are I think three options that A* students in my year are following.

1: 70% of A* predicted students I know are following route of: Been revising for absolutely ages, not going to stop now, it only gets harder as you get closer to exams.

2: 29% seem to pick this: I'm going to do quite a lot of revision in the subjects I need to improve in, and hope to do well in the other subjects with limited and late revision.

3: Then there's me. I haven't touched any form of hard work for the past year or so. No school-work, no revision, just Dota 2 and CS GO. I've always stuck with my core beliefs of Do it on the day, and Do the bare minimum, and that seems to work for me. So day before exams begin, I should probably attempt some work.

If you follow path 1 or 2 you should do very well. If you are like me, prepare to be quite surprised like I am, although hoping for 3 A*, rest A except Chemistry B

Damn, though I'm following the same path as you I'm hoping to change but it's so damn difficult. Dota 2 is soooo fun and I have other fixations alongside it :s-smilie:
Don't put yourself down! ofc you will with enough revision :smile:

Ya coursework deadline today so I've been stressing all week and getting practically no revision done (and procrastinating on TSR - NOT a good thing :P

Wait, do you mean you've written up all your science revision notes?? Argg so much to do!! and don't even talk about english lit... haha

Haha thats the thing! Actually doing revision 😂

Exactly, I am the same! If I'm going to revise I have to switch phone and laptop off and leave them out of sight :colondollar:

Well I sit science in three modules but I'm not sure if you do this too
So Ive sat 2 modules already and just have to do the last ones...

Each module is split up into 6 sections by school.... Ive done 5/6 sections for each science so far for this module:O

How many exams do you have??
I have 20! -_- some one complained to me because they had 9

I need to re read the books again!

How is your other revision going??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jackmolineux
Haha thats the thing! Actually doing revision ������

Exactly, I am the same! If I'm going to revise I have to switch phone and laptop off and leave them out of sight :colondollar:

Well I sit science in three modules but I'm not sure if you do this too
So Ive sat 2 modules already and just have to do the last ones...

Each module is split up into 6 sections by school.... Ive done 5/6 sections for each science so far for this module:O

How many exams do you have??
I have 20! -_- some one complained to me because they had 9

I need to re read the books again!

How is your other revision going??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Almost exactly last year I promised I would deactivate facebook at this point before exams... now I'm not too sure haha

When you say you've done 5/6 science module-thingys (sorry i dont do the same thing), do you mean you have actually sat the exam?

I do OCR 21st Century Triple Science and I have to sit 3 exams in may/june for each science so 9 science exams in total!

Only 20 exams?? I've got 23 :O

There has been no revision these past few days due to Coursework deadlines etc..
Almost exactly last year I promised I would deactivate facebook at this point before exams... now I'm not too sure haha

When you say you've done 5/6 science module-thingys (sorry i dont do the same thing), do you mean you have actually sat the exam?

I do OCR 21st Century Triple Science and I have to sit 3 exams in may/june for each science so 9 science exams in total!

Only 20 exams?? I've got 23 :O

There has been no revision these past few days due to Coursework deadlines etc..

I know, I might do that! But its like all I do when I'm bored😂

Like last year I promised my self as soon as I sat my January science modules I would start revising for May/June....
Well that didn't happen and now I am waaaay behind and stressing:/

Yeah I sit WJEC, which is same as OCR with three exams for each science. i have sat two of them already thank god
And each individual science exam is split up into six units of work... Ive just made notes on 5/6 units for science so I am almost done on making notes for science

Ahahaha, well if I hadn't sat bits of science last summer and this Jan gone I would have had 26 😔

Ahhh, don't worry I'm sure you will make up for it over easter!:smile:
I need to try and do 5 hours revision tomorrow.... Somehow don't think thats gonna happen😂

We should motivate each other haahah!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest