The Student Room Group

When is a joke a joke?

I'm honestly so tired of people saying or doing things that are actually offensive, and using the excuse that it's a joke to justify themselves. But then if you tell that person they're wrong, you're labelled as someone who doesn't have a sense of humour? It's so silly.

I've felt this way for a long time, but I decided the post this thread after having loads of Clarkson fans jump down my throat after I posted that I thought it was sick that people on twitter were hashtagging #JeSuisClarkson.

Scroll to see replies

But you gotta admit Clarkson is one funny ****er.
he's a prick and i'm glad he's gone but top gear won't be the same so they may as well end that show.
Why do you think its sick doing that? It's not like the je suis charlie thing was only allowed to be about him, it's just banter. If you get upset about that, it's time to step away from the internet IMO
Agree so much! Frustrates me more than anything :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Imagination2015
x

Jeez
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Novascope
I'm honestly so tired of people saying or doing things that are actually offensive, and using the excuse that it's a joke to justify themselves. But then if you tell that person they're wrong, you're labelled as someone who doesn't have a sense of humour? It's so silly.

I've felt this way for a long time, but I decided the post this thread after having loads of Clarkson fans jump down my throat after I posted that I thought it was sick that people on twitter were hashtagging #JeSuisClarkson.

lmfao.

I find it difficult to imagine the logic someone would follow to find that personally offensive lol.
Reply 7
Original post by ChickenMadness
lmfao.

I find it difficult to imagine the logic someone would follow to find that personally offensive lol.

Considering it's a slogan derived from an awful event, I think it's pretty damn alright to find it offensive due to idiots using it for something stupid. Completely logical.
(edited 9 years ago)
I struggle to tell the difference between jokey banter and spitefulness:frown:
Reply 9
Original post by Imagination2015
x

Great insult. Who taught you it? Your friends at nursery?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Maid Marian

Like I completely get banter, and while some people may defend this and say the people using it were only doing it for banter, I have to disagree slightly as I've read comments on Twitter and Facebook by people using it in a pretty serious way. I just think people should be a bit more considerate when they make jokes about certain things.
Reply 11
Original post by bittr n swt
he's a prick and i'm glad he's gone but top gear won't be the same so they may as well end that show.

I agree with you. Don't get me wrong, I used to like Top Gear, I'd watch it whenever my brother did. But sometimes you've gotta accept when a person is a dick and deserves punishment haha.
Original post by Maid Marian

good luck at uni lol
Considering it's a slogan derived from an awful event, I think it's pretty damn alright to find it offensive due to idiots using it for something stupid. Completely logical.

ah I thought it was a typo about jesus lol.
Original post by bittr n swt
good luck at uni lol

Thanks for the encouragement. :ta:
Reply 15
Original post by ChickenMadness
ah I thought it was a typo about jesus lol.

Noo hahaha. I wouldn't really care if it was that.

I think the Jesuis Clarkson thing is too far, as it's jumping onto a tragedy, can basically comparing the shooting of people to one man getting fired.Which are not in anyway whatsoever the same thing. That's why it irritates me, because there's banter and then's there going too far.
Humour is one of the ways we as a society explore the unexplored. We investigate our comfort zones, push out a boundary and see who we really are. If you find a joke offensive you've learnt more about yourself, what you draw the line at and what you don't find amusing.

Nobody can really ask people not to make jokes, and quite frankly as a society we would benefit from people thanking the people who offended them as it teaches a person so much more than silence would.
Original post by Sneferu
I think the Jesuis Clarkson thing is too far, as it's jumping onto a tragedy, can basically comparing the shooting of people to one man getting fired.Which are not in anyway whatsoever the same thing. That's why it irritates me, because there's banter and then's there going too far.

It is not comparing anything. It is using the concept of solidarity and rehashing a popular hashtag to gain support for their cause.
Original post by DiddyDec
It is not comparing anything. It is using the concept of solidarity and rehashing a popular hashtag to gain support for their cause.

And by doing that it's basically saying that it is a tragedy like the shooting. Which it is n't at all. At least have the imagination to come up with a original hashtag, instead of using one which was to mark the heinous nature of a crime. There's boundaries and this is one of them.

Quick Reply

Latest