The Student Room Group

Finish University last year can't find any jobs

I finish university last year in BEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering
with first class, I applied to so many places (more then 200 places) and I did not
get any job. I worked as a Hardware Engineering for a company for 2 months after my university. Now, I give up and I have depression, what should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I want to be an engineer but it seems to be such a bad route to go down :confused:

My advice will be keep your head high because a degree is not something everyone has..
Sounds like you're lacking either a rounded CV or interview skills. Maybe try learning a language as in my experience that gives a huge advantage when looking for jobs, do some voluntary work so you don't have a big gap in your CV, and get some interview practice in.
Reply 3
Original post by NicolasAtwood
I finish university last year in BEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering
with first class, I applied to so many places (more then 200 places) and I did not
get any job. I worked as a Hardware Engineering for a company for 2 months after my university. Now, I give up and I have depression, what should I do?

Out of the ones you applied to did you make it to interviews and/or assessment centres?

It seems experience isn't your problem since you say you've worked as a hardware engineer for a company already?
Where are you from? Your grammar sounds as though English isn't your first language. Are your language skills letting you down if you're applying for jobs in the UK?
How come your job only lasted 2 months?
Reply 6
Original post by PineapplePol
Where are you from? Your grammar sounds as though English isn't your first language. Are your language skills letting you down if you're applying for jobs in the UK?

I suspect he might be an international student in which case that's why he's struggling to get a job here. Most companies don't want to sponsor international students/pay for work visas.
I have some advice for you, feel free to leave it, if you think you don't agree with them....

First your depression.....now if your depressive symptoms are beginning to effect your day to day routine, it might be an good idea to visit your GP and see what can be done in terms of treatment, both psychologically (Counselling) or physically (Medications)....the reason I say this is because some of the symptoms you are experiencing may come across as lack of interest and enthusiasm to employers in interview, who would not know about your illness.

In terms of your unemployment, I will think about the following points...

-- Can I perhaps take up employment in an slightly different sector than Engineering or another sector of Engineering?
-- Are there any opportunities abroad, in particular countries where engineers are in high demand.
-- Are all my experience on my CV up to date?
--Is there an chance that my salary expectation is too high?
Original post by a10
I suspect he might be an international student in which case that's why he's struggling to get a job here. Most companies don't want to sponsor international students/pay for work visas.

If that was the case he probably would've figured out by now to mention it and suggest a work around in his cover letter or during his interviews, would probably get him some brownie points as well.
No guys, i am british. It's just that I was so sad while posting that I didn't check before creating the topic.
Reply 10
Original post by NicolasAtwood
No guys, i am british. It's just that I was so sad while posting that I didn't check before creating the topic.

Ohh apologies for the misconception :tongue:

Did you make it to interviews and/or assessment centres? If not you might want to work on your CV and get it checked professionally and practice your cover letters too! Also practising things like psychometric tests also helps!

There's a lot of luck involved in getting a job to be honest but if you can nail those basics you should be able to increase your success rate that and the determination not to give up.
(edited 9 years ago)
If you've applied to so many and you're not getting anywhere. Maybe it's what you're starting with -> your CV. I'd say get that checked out. And since you don't have a job, rather than waiting around for interviews, try finding voluntary work or do your own mini project. Build up extra-curricular activity. Companies want to see how hard working you are. If you're a grad, you won't have tons of experience, so your willingness to work, what you show for it and how you come across are going to help
You applied for 200 places and did not get one? I am very sorry, that must have been very disheartening especially given that you achieved a first class honours in your degree. How many of these companies agreed to meet you for an interview/assessment centre? Which university did you get this degree from? Did you apply to graduate roles?

Answer these questions, then I can help
Reply 13
Wish you all the best of luck. Stay positive. Which university did you study at?
Why don't you do a masters? I suspect you'll be competing against a lot of MEng's. Have you tried your university careers service - they'll often help graduates for a period after they finish. Have you joined any engineering institutions? How good is your LinkedIn profile? Have you actually been diagnosed with depression? Have you signed on for JSA?
Are you claiming JSA? If so you should be able to get help to revise your cv and maybe with interview skills. The Ebglish in your original post was bad enough to discourage employers so you need to get someone to help with the wording of covering letters.

It can take a long time to get work but the advisors who help those on JSA have managed to get someone I thought was unemployable (very bad attitude, poor work history) into work so register with them and keep your spirits up.
Sounds like bull**** to me mate, a first class in engineering and ya cant find a job! Thats literally unheard of mate, ya could easily walk into even a finance or research job!
If you've given up after just 2 months then you are not going to survive this life my friend.
Original post by Silver Arrow
If you've given up after just 2 months then you are not going to survive this life my friend.

was thinking the same, it also sounds bull****, someone who has worked very hard for a first class in engineering would not be whining about not finding a job.
Original post by sebe0062
Sounds like bull**** to me mate, a first class in engineering and ya cant find a job! Thats literally unheard of mate, ya could easily walk into even a finance or research job!

It's not unheard of. A first class degree doesn't preclude someone from unemployment... in fact your degree classification doesn't have a huge amount to do with securing employment anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest