The Student Room Group

Guys: Honestly, what do you think about overweight girls in general?

Okay so I'm 18, overweight and never had what I'd call a proper relationship.

I've been told by many people that I am attractive, and that other girls are jealous of my assets (boobs, bum, curves - all a side effect of being overweight in my opinion haha :rolleyes:)

Whenever I go out, I always get guys coming up to me and asking for my thinner friends names, although whenever I do pull and stuff it's always really thin, attractive (in my opinion) guys? It honestly confuses the **** out of me though for some reason but I'm sure it's the drink talking because if they saw me sober guaranteed half of them wouldn't come near me because of the 'stigma' of me being fat/chubby/overweight.

I've honestly struggled with my weight and appearance for years and years, honestly for as long as I can remember, and it gets me down a lot thinking about whether or not people would treat me differently if I was thin.

Before anyone says anything, I am trying to lose weight and have been for a while.

But anyway guys (and girls) what do you think to generally attractive but overweight people and how would you react to advances from them? What would your preferred size be? If you're overweight, how do you feel about yourself and how others perceive you?

Scroll to see replies

Maybe you're not actually that overweight.
Reply 2
Original post by cole-slaw
Maybe you're not actually that overweight.

Nah I definitely am haha! I'm not typically overweight like I don't have humongous boobs or a huge stomach but I have big thighs and it makes it worse because I'm short, plus my BMI actually says 'obese' so!
Original post by Anonymous
Nah I definitely am haha! I'm not typically overweight like I don't have humongous boobs or a huge stomach but I have big thighs and it makes it worse because I'm short, plus my BMI actually says 'obese' so!

BMI is largely nonsense.

If you're going to worry about anything, worry about your fitness levels, don't worry too much about how you look. Different guys go for different things - lots of guys are attracted to girls that are slightly overweight.

When I was at uni I knew a guy that only dated properly fat girls. Not that that applies to you, you'd be far too skinny for him.
Reply 4
depends how you look, pics?

fat people, i'm not gonna go near. curvy, yes
We seem to live in a gym-obsessed society that somehow places value on women being stick think and un-curvey for some strange reason.

I like women with a bit of meat on them so thy're soft and curvy, not boney. I don't like them ''fat'' as such so they start to lose their shape, but I'm definitely a built for comfort not speed kinda guy. I love the curves.
Reply 6
Original post by cole-slaw
BMI is largely nonsense.

If you're going to worry about anything, worry about your fitness levels, don't worry too much about how you look. Different guys go for different things - lots of guys are attracted to girls that are slightly overweight.

When I was at uni I knew a guy that only dated properly fat girls. Not that that applies to you, you'd be far too skinny for him.

You see, I hear a lot of people say that guys generally go for curvy or slightly bigger girls but I literally know no guy that would pick me over my small size 6/8 friend.

Haha well you haven't seen what I look like! I could be far too big for him, how do you know?
I'm not very attracted to them.
Reply 8
Original post by iamu
depends how you look, pics?

fat people, i'm not gonna go near. curvy, yes

Don't know how to add pics on phone.

Okay, but where is the line from curvy to fat? Like what would you class as curvy and what would you class as fat?
Original post by frankieboy
We seem to live in a gym-obsessed society that somehow places value on women being stick think and un-curvey for some strange reason.

I like women with a bit of meat on them so thy're soft and curvy, not boney. I don't like them ''fat'' as such so they start to lose their shape, but I'm definitely a built for comfort not speed kinda guy. I love the curves.

I completely disagree with your first paragraph. I'd wager a larger percentage of males would prefer a woman who is curvy than someone who is stick thin.
Skinny and toned is fine, but unhealthily skinny is not attractive in the slightest.
You see, I hear a lot of people say that guys generally go for curvy or slightly bigger girls but I literally know no guy that would pick me over my small size 6/8 friend.

Haha well you haven't seen what I look like! I could be far too big for him, how do you know?

At 18, a lot of guys are insecure and worried about what their friends will think of them, and actually choose girls they're less attracted to because they think they will impress their friends more.

yes I know, its utterly pathetic.

Fortunately, most guys grow out of this by the time they hit their 20s and just go for girls they actually find attractive and don't care about what other people think. You should have more luck dating in the future.
Original post by frankieboy

That's true - I'm not bashing stick thin girls or anything because I believe that all body shapes are beautiful (but mine!) - I honestly don't understand why being with a curvy/chubby girl is such a bad thing these days?
more cushion for the push in
Original post by Protégé
I'm not very attracted to them.

Thank you for your honest opinion! What are you attracted to and why would you say you're attracted to them?
I think they're lazy, unmotivated, unambitious, have little self-care or self-respect.

Hey, you asked.

I think the same for males though.
(edited 9 years ago)
gross
Original post by TorpidPhil

I think they're lazy, unmotivated, unambitious, have little self-care or self-respect.

Hey, you asked.

I think the same for males though.

Well thank you for your honest opinion, though that's obviously not true for all of us considering I do go to the gym 3+ times a week, care about and respect myself. Obviously I know people don't know this just from looks so I do understand where you're coming from.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well thank you for your honest opinion, though that's obviously not true for all of us considering I do go to the gym 3+ times a week, care about and respect myself. Obviously I know people don't know this just from looks so I do understand where you're coming from.

If you go to the gym 3+ times a week yet are still obese in your BMI and clearly lack a lot of muscle (otherwise you would know you have no weight issue and wouldn't whine about it on a forum) then either:

1) You are a glutton and eat far too much and a poor diet which is also unattractive.

OR

2) You are an idiot and have no idea how to most efficiently spend your time at the gym. Which is also unattractive.

Or both, which is very unattractive.
How do you feel when you go to the gym? I'm a little overweight too and I really want to go, but I'm just too embarrassed? I feel like people laugh at 'bigger' people who go to the gym, even though they're there for the whole point of losing the weight...
Original post by TorpidPhil
If you go to the gym 3+ times a week yet are still obese in your BMI and clearly lack a lot of muscle (otherwise you would know you have no weight issue and wouldn't whine about it on a forum) then either:

1) You are a glutton and eat far too much and a poor diet which is also unattractive.

OR

2) You are an idiot and have no idea how to most efficiently spend your time at the gym. Which is also unattractive.

Honestly everything I just said to you was nothing rude so was there any need to be rude to me back? Obviously you do not know me; I've only just started going to the gym because I've become to understand what a problem my weight is, because of people exactly like you, actually!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending